Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Doors Car Lift

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anybody have a 4 post lift holding a car above your MX? If so, are you able to open the doors and will they stop before hitting the lift?

Alternatively, where can I find the minimum clearance required to open the doors for somebody to get out? Curious if I can get a MX and put it under my lift and still use the rear doors or not.

the door sensors will "watch" how much free space is present before it open completely or not. i dont have a 4 post lift, but i can only assume its going to be a tight fit/space. the FWD will open much less than full which may make it a total pain in the ass for getting in/out of.

Reactions: TZLAFAN85
The sensors are down the centerline between the 2 FWDs. If there is an obstruction from the lift at these points this "should" limit door opening. But, if there are side cables or pullies these might not be seen. Also, if there is no car above the X, but the lift was still up, the car might not see the conflicting parts of the lift. The only way to know is to try it. But, if it was my X, I would be hesitant to park under a lift.

The sensors are down the centerline between the 2 FWDs. If there is an obstruction from the lift at these points this "should" limit door opening. But, if there are side cables or pullies these might not be seen. Also, if there is no car above the X, but the lift was still up, the car might not see the conflicting parts of the lift. The only way to know is to try it. But, if it was my X, I would be hesitant to park under a lift.

Aren’t there sensors on the doors themselves too?

Not sure I’d want to try this either. I’d want to know a lot about the sensors, what they can “see”, etc. and even then I might not want to do it.

Bruce.

Not sure I’d want to try this either. I’d want to know a lot about the sensors, what they can “see”, etc. and even then I might not want to do it.

Bruce.
Yes, there are sensors in the doors. I believe they are in all 4 side doors to prevent opening into obstacles on the side. Although there have been reports of their effectiveness being impacted by paint color. I would assume in the OPs question these would be less of a factor than the overhead parts of the lift which is controlled by the overhead sensors in the roofline between 2 FWDs. And you are correct about questioning what these sensors can see.

Does anybody have a 4 post lift holding a car above your MX? If so, are you able to open the doors and will they stop before hitting the lift?

Alternatively, where can I find the minimum clearance required to open the doors for somebody to get out? Curious if I can get a MX and put it under my lift and still use the rear doors or not.
The ultrasonic sensor in the center of the X roof may or may not properly detect obstacles above; it depends on their shape and position. I do not think there is a simple answer to your question. I find it is pretty conservative and often will not fully open the doors when there is in fact just enough room to do so (And that is probably the right way to design the system). But it can also completely miss narrow objects above it or out to the side and the doors can open and hit them.

I have no confidence that the sensors located in the side door panels will prevent the doors from hitting objects above them; they aren’t positioned optimally for that. I think they are for avoiding objects off to the side of the car.

Maybe you can find a local X owner to try out your particular garage. But they will need to keep a hand ready at the edge of the door as it is going up so they can grab it if it looks like there is going to be an impact.

Proceed cautiously and don’t overestimate the car’s capabilities in this regard. 😳

For the most part, using a lift above your X will keep you from opening your FWDs completely. Same issue with parking a convertible underneath, you cannot open your top while underneath the lift.
It is really not that big a deal. Simply drive out of your garage when you will need to open your rear doors.

Reactions: TZLAFAN85 and mbp11

Bruce.
Sensors point outward at the lower section of the rear doors. They control the outward opening distance for the front and rear doors and may prevent the door from hitting a low obstacle to either side of the car as the doors open, but it is unlikely they would detect the lift above, since they'll be opening wider than most lifts. The sensor for height though is in the center of the roof line and while it may detect crossbars as you drive under the raised lift, I would not trust it. Even with a vehicle above, there's no guarantee it would properly gauge the distance between the FWD hinge and the wheel tracks on the lift.

You can't trust the FWDs not to hit a low parking garage ceiling, parking under a lift and operating them sounds like a recipe for disaster.