Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon doors in the rain - sensors borked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
'23 MXP

When I took delivery it was a dry day, both FWDs worked fine. The next day it started raining, and my passenger FWD died - screen showed BOTH open & close actions, and manually releasing the door was not reflected on the screen (always showed as closed).

Took it to SC, they recalibrated, and everything worked great. Used it all weekend on a road trip and no issues at all.

Today, it started raining again, and whaddya know, the same problem is back.

Have you heard of any issues with FWDs operating in the rain?

Also, the front doors' auto-present doesn't work well in the rain it seems. They pop unlatched and open 2-3", but never the full way like when it's dry. Known?

Now that I think about it, when my left FWD didn't work, it was raining. It's already fixed at Service since last Thursday but hasn't rained since (SoCal). It will rain again tomorrow and maybe Thursday too so I'll post here if I notice anything not working after the rain. Overall, I think Service will have to fix your FWD either replacing sensors/adhesives or removing over paint since this shouldn't happen.

For my front doors, I don't have it to automatically open, but it always just opens slightly, which I read is normal for newer models.

Now that I think about it, when my left FWD didn't work, it was raining. It's already fixed at Service since last Thursday but hasn't rained since (SoCal). It will rain again tomorrow and maybe Thursday too so I'll post here if I notice anything not working after the rain. Overall, I think Service will have to fix your FWD either replacing sensors/adhesives or removing over paint since this shouldn't happen.

For my front doors, I don't have it to automatically open, but it always just opens slightly, which I read is normal for newer models.
Is it ok to just close the door like any other car or will it affect some mechanism? Also, I didn’t know the auto open was an option. Do you have this feature turned off to prevent the door flying open into the car next to it? That would be my concern, especially in tight parking spots. I am getting ready to order mine after test drive this weekend, unless it’s as bad as some on here say it is.

Reactions: maytaurustiger
Is it ok to just close the door like any other car or will it affect some mechanism? Also, I didn’t know the auto open was an option. Do you have this feature turned off to prevent the door flying open into the car next to it? That would be my concern, especially in tight parking spots. I am getting ready to order mine after test drive this weekend, unless it’s as bad as some on here say it is.
I have been pushing the button on the inside handle (same button to open) to close the door or I'll still close it like a regular door and it closes itself shut. I'm not sure if it will mess any mechanism when manually closing though haha. Yeah I don't turn on auto open in case it opens the door without me noticing if I get close to the car or in case it hits someone or something, although it doesn't ever swing wide open for me.
Yay! Please share pictures when you get the car! 🥰

Reactions: GoVols!
My FWD always had a problem with passenger side FWD prior to full close it would detect a phantom object and stop. 2022 delivery in November 2022. Service paperwork states they replaced forward and Rear FWD struts.

The car has 500 miles on the odometer. I gave up...and scheduled an appt for next week....Hopefully they can get this resolved

Pretty sure most of the deliveries and operational Xs are in fact fine. We all come here to complain!

• Funny
Reactions: GoVols! and ent3ndu

The door partially opens (between 20° and 45° depending on obstacles detected by sensors). Touch Controls > Locks > Automatic Doors.

FWIW auto front door has worked perfectly for me even in tight spaces. Rain does seem to be throwing it off (barely opens).

You can close the driver door in at least 6 ways I can think of:
  • Manually push it shut
  • Press the interior "open" button
  • Press the exterior door handle button
  • Walk-away lock will shut the door automatically
  • Close from the main screen
  • Shut from the App or keyfob

rain shouldn't be an issue, other than the designed-in dousing you get when you open them if you're sitting in teh 2nd row. sounds like something is either letting water in somewhere it shouldn't be, or is perhaps seeing something that isn't there when it's wet due to weird magic ultrasonic things I don't understand?

Reactions: maytaurustiger
I saw you had a few posts and comments about this issue and a number of service appointments. Are you still having this issue? I’m about to make a post just to find out because I’ve been having a similar issue. It doesn’t happen every time it rains, but sometimes before/after/during rain (only around rain though) where my FWDs (both) won’t open at all. They just beep at me, whether it’s from the handle, app, touchscreen, or key fob. I also can’t get them to override by holding. Extremely problematic in the past when I’ve picked up kids from daycare and can’t load them in the car while holding up the line, or like today when they end up stuck in the back and I can’t get them out.

• Informative
Reactions: rpo