Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Heavy - 7&8 Reuse - Elon's Roadster Demo - LC-39A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
10x slowed down aka 10% speed version of the center core portion Imgur

The core hits the water first, and then explodes while partially submerged.
Well that's incredible. The booster went in smoothly like a diver. The underwater explosion must have been like a depth charge going off right next to the ASDS. It makes sense that it damaged the motors. The ship itself just got a little wet.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo
Elon just tweeted a brief YouTube video with clips from the FH launch, including a brief glimpse of the core crashing into the water just missing the drone ship, about 1m 14sec in

Elon Musk on Twitter

Quote:

Why Falcon Heavy & Starman? Life cannot just be about solving one sad problem after another. There need to be things that inspire you, that make you glad to wake up in the morning and be part of humanity. That is why we did it. We did for you.

Great clip, thanks @f-stop

That shot of the center core impacting the water does appear to be closer than the several hundred yards I had questioned previously. You can certainly see how that would have damaged the droneship at that distance.

Interesting that the engine(s) were lit on impact, given that the issues reported involved the lack of TEB to get them reunited.

I also see fire part way up the bottom section of the booster stage...

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Interesting that the engine(s) were lit on impact, given that the issues reported involved the lack of TEB to get them reunited.

They were trying to do a 1 3 1 landing. That's a center engine on, then 3 engines, then back to center engine. The TEA/TAB shortage kept the other 2 engines from lighting so it was 1 engine when they needed 3.

as to the fire on the stage, that is common during and even after landing. The stage is landing "backwards" flying through it's own flames so it is normal for bits to catch on fire.

They were trying to do a 1 3 1 landing. That's a center engine on, then 3 engines, then back to center engine. The TEA/TAB shortage kept the other 2 engines from lighting so it was 1 engine when they needed 3.

as to the fire on the stage, that is common during and even after landing. The stage is landing "backwards" flying through it's own flames so it is normal for bits to catch on fire.
I couldn't tell in the video if 3 engines were lit?

The flames on he lower booster seemed different, but it may be the leg cowlings burning...

Thought Elon and the Space X and Tesla team and fans would like this rendition of Space Oddity:

Peter

This was the first time I had seen that video and loved it. Thank you for posting. Commander Hadfield also joined up with The Barenaked Ladies and Wexford Gleeks and did this song on the ISS, (Is Somebody Singing). Love the words and music to it. Thought you guys might too.

I couldn't tell in the video if 3 engines were lit?

The flames on he lower booster seemed different, but it may be the leg cowlings burning...

watch
for a single engine landing and see the flame dance around the first stage. If 3 engines were lit it would engulf the first stage in so much flame you woudln't see the bottom 1/3 of the stage.

or compare these 2 photos of 1 engine vs 3

1476452.jpg

1476453.jpg

There is no doubt in my mind that Imgur
cTqGDFa
is showing it coming in with 1 engine only, especially since a 3 engine burn would have slowed it dramatically in the space we saw it drop at a nearly linear rate.

• Helpful
@scaesare
I think that may be the same thing that freaks me out every flight. The turbopumps exhaust outside the main bell, so it always looks like there is a (unintended) thermal event happening.

The booster re-entry footage from FH on the main video shows 1:3:1 (don't ask me how I know).

Good reference pics @dhanson865 thanks.

@mongo I know what you are talking about, but this was the flame up the side of the booster... I suspect this was actually a leg cowling actually... I've seen them on fire before, but typically with the legs deployed and the speeds so reduced, it's a much gentler flame that doesn't appear to be a more violent conflagration on the booster itself.

I think this image crop indeed clearly shows one engine and the cowling fire:
fh.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Grendal and mongo
This was the first time I had seen that video and loved it. Thank you for posting. Commander Hadfield also joined up with The Barenaked Ladies and Wexford Gleeks and did this song on the ISS, (Is Somebody Singing). Love the words and music to it. Thought you guys might too.

I had not seen this before. Thank you so much for responding to my post. I didn't think anyone was paying attention. I have a very positive view of our future on earth, however I realize how important it is for us all to have to have new frontiers to challenge us and to bring people together all over the world. Space X and Tesla have brought so many people from around the world together in a common belief that we all can make the world better place. Space X crew of the Falcon Heavy will be like Christopher Columbus setting course for the new world of Mars. And soon after we will be traveling to other stars.

Love these lyrics:

There’s a starman waiting in the sky...

He like to come and meet us,

But he thinks he’d blow our minds............

Peter

P.S. Check ignition and may God’s love be with you (all)….

Reactions: SMAlset
As visual, exciting and unforgettable as these launches have been, seeing and hearing a Canadian astronaut in space helped make those songs and space a bit more special too. Had no idea there was a singing starman back in 2013. Must have been living under a rock.

It's about time! (my emphasis) It's about space, it's about the whole human race...

Your probably right, Christopher did not have any computer technology to guide him, he had to navigate using the sun and the stars and was at the mercy of the wind and only had a small reserve of food aboard. I would say that he actually had a bigger challenge at least in navigating and traveling to his destination which unbeknownst to him was a new continent since his charts were so inacurate . The real challenge for the Space X crew will be settling mars as it is primarily a CO2 atmosphere and is cold -67F. My suggestion is to look into terraforming the planet before settling large numbers of people there as it is unlikely to be a desirable place to go. Antarctica is a beautiful place compared to Mars and there are not a lot of people lining up to live there. Just my 2 cents.

Elon just tweeted a brief YouTube video with clips from the FH launch, including a brief glimpse of the core crashing into the water just missing the drone ship, about 1m 14sec in

Elon Musk on Twitter

Quote:

Why Falcon Heavy & Starman? Life cannot just be about solving one sad problem after another. There need to be things that inspire you, that make you glad to wake up in the morning and be part of humanity. That is why we did it. We did for you.

Thankyou! Bloody excellent!

Reactions: Grendal
Good reference pics @dhanson865 thanks.

@mongo I know what you are talking about, but this was the flame up the side of the booster... I suspect this was actually a leg cowling actually... I've seen them on fire before, but typically with the legs deployed and the speeds so reduced, it's a much gentler flame that doesn't appear to be a more violent conflagration on the booster itself.

I think this image crop indeed clearly shows one engine and the cowling fire:
View attachment 285649
I think that could easily happen if an engine didn't properly light. The Kerolox is being forced out and getting burned outside the engine. That would cause the odd flames shown, I think.

Reactions: scaesare
I apologize. I stand corrected. I was taught in the 70s that Columbus was a hero for discovering the new world. But evidently I needed to be updated on the reality of his legacy. Civilization has clearly evolved since the time of Columbus. However, my point was that sailing a small wooden ship across the Atlantic is no trivial task based on the technology at the time. But I agree that someone who slaughters innocent natives is no hero. I understand your point now. Thanks for the cartoon. It was easy for me to understand but I doubt that it is that simple. History has a lot of lessons for us to learn from. Anyone notice what is quietly happening in China?