Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Heavy - 7&8 Reuse - Elon's Roadster Demo - LC-39A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is going to be a logistical nightmare for those of us planning on traveling to watch - leave, accommodation, etc. I'm treating it like a family birth. Pre packed and ready to move like a ninja and possibly hang around should it be a Braxton Hicks episode.
Not that that’s much different than any particular rocket launch. There are just a few more factors due to equipment issues that might cause a delay.

You really want to be on your toes? Try a wife that routinely gets pre-eclampsia. My parents never learned to black out vacations at least a month in advance of the due date. They had to fly home early from a vacation for one child, and missed the birth, but were there the next morning. The next child they also missed, but were out of the country and couldn’t adjust their travel plans.

Reactions: Grendal
A one day delay might not prove to be significant. Spaceflight.com stated yesterday that SpaceX viewed the test as a Wet Dress Rehearsal/Static Fire. They mentioned that SpaceX engineers might wish to review data to confirm everything is ready for engine ignition. Wonder if fueling had already begun and then they made the decision to move to Thursday?

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal
So... they are doing the static fire with the payload up top? I understand the value of it is not at issue here (still, a Roadster! The cool ones! ;-) but I'd assume they want to test all processes just like a real launch.
It does appear that the static fire will be with payload.

My guess is the FH will stay on the pad from now until launch (keep the RUD jokes to yourself ;).

• Funny
Reactions: e-FTW
im not a rocket scientist, but that sounds like a long duration for the first static fire ever of an FH on the pad. I was expecting just a second or two for the first time.

They're probably scheduling a full 12 second duration static fire to fully test the system. If something trips a warning sign then the burn will be less than 12 seconds. Looking at it that way then going for the longer test makes sense. SpaceX is a company that faces a problem full on. If it goes well then SpaceX should be pretty confident the initial launch will have no issues. After that? Lots more stress and nail biting.

Does anyone have a link to a live feed for the static fire? Apparently if you are a member of spaceflightnow.com they have a camera watching the launch site now.

Spaceflightnow live blog is here. I don't think it's going to be live video, but it's something.

As of this writing, (12:54 PM EST) it looks like they've stopped fueling, because the vapor has stopped. I think normally we'd expect to continue seeing vapor boiling off right up until ignition.