Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Heavy - 7&8 Reuse - Elon's Roadster Demo - LC-39A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know, it was just an additional possible answer. We aren't sure if they didn't load enough because it burned more than expected, or if it boiled away, or if it froze and wasn't available to use.

I'm sure we'll get the answer eventually but I'm holding onto the boiled away hypothesis until I hear otherwise.
Air pressure at F9 1. stage separation is so low that liquids boil as in vacuum. Extra altitude will make no difference.

Oh, ok. I thought you had heard the answer.
I was confused how that could be since the 2nd stage can relight after 6hrs in space and the TEA TEB has to be sealed from the atmosphere.

I don't buy that it was a normal style leak from some manufacturing defect. That system hasn't changed and they haven't had a failure in it in 20+ landing attempts (other failures yes, just not TEA/TAB ignition issues).

I have to think it is due to the nature of the maximum altitude of the center core causing a temperature or pressure issue.

While the 2nd stage can relight after 6 hours in space the 2nd stage has always been expected to function in space. Stage 1 has always been expected to function in atmosphere. No stage 1 has done what the center core did before yesterday.

Heavy (center core), meco ~88km, separation ~91km speed at separation ~9500 km/h
Iridium 4 (stage 1), meco ~75 km, separation ~78km speed at separation ~7300 km/h

https://i.redd.it/cvo84so8aefy.png has some other first stage altitudes and you'll see most separate between 60 and 70 km.

edit: https://i.imgur.com/NezZ0Qf.png shows stage 1 continuing above 100km in a couple of cases. So that goes against my theory about altitude.

https://i.redd.it/15p6ll4zjrvz.png is another rev of the combined content.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: mongo
Back from Cape Canaveral after a great day under the sun yesterday. 'Feel the Heat' was very well organized by NASA.

Except I have one big gripe, and I think that ruined the whole thing. This location is simply the worst location you could pick for this particular launch. This was exactly side-on from the rocket and on top of it the transport-erecter completely obscured the view while the rocket was in the pad. Even after lift-off, since FH was only side-on we could only see one stick. WTF? it was almost as if we were watching a Falcon 9 launch. Even from a distance perspective I believe there were other public viewing areas that were closer.

• Helpful
Reactions: Grendal
Back from Cape Canaveral after a great day under the sun yesterday. 'Feel the Heat' was very well organized by NASA.

Except I have one big gripe, and I think that ruined the whole thing. This location is simply the worst location you could pick for this particular launch. This was exactly side-on from the rocket and on top of it the transport-erecter completely obscured the view while the rocket was in the pad. Even after lift-off, since FH was only side-on we could only see one stick. WTF? it was almost as if we were watching a Falcon 9 launch. Even from a distance perspective I believe there were other public viewing areas that were closer.
The Saturn V center had the same problem for Shuttle launches off of 39A. The FSS and RSS blocked the view until the stack cleared them. While there's not much left of the RSS, the FSS is still there. With commercial crew on the horizon for 39A, the FSS will probably be there as long as F9 flies from there. Saturn V center's view of 39B is a bit better since B is 1.66 miles Northwest of 39A.

As far as I know there is no other closer public viewing at LC-39 unless you're an invited guest or press.

Last edited:
One of the best launch audio recordings I've heard. About as close to being there as it gets.

Very cool as well. My MacBook Pro has speakers on each side so I pretty much got the left/right speaker flavor without headphones/earbuds on but will revisit later with. People should know this was filmed atop NASA's vehicle assembly building and you get to ride up in the elevator to the roof top and see the view from there.

Cool sound project his guy does and will check out some of his other location videos. And kudos to our photographer on this one. Tough business and hope you do well.

Here's a video taken from "Feel the Heat" and I can see what you're commenting about. I suppose you need to get some press credentials. Someone from Teslarati was even in the post launch conference and asked a question.

The video I posted of the landing:

I'll bet the people took this video from SLC-17. They seem to be up high. Maybe they are on one of the old launch towers from the Delta II.

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station Space Launch Complex 17 - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Reactions: StephenM
Here's a video taken from "Feel the Heat" and I can see what you're commenting about.

it was looking at the Saturn when the rings are aligned with the ecliptic plane. And even when the rocket was on the ground, we couldn't see anything due to the massive structure obstructive our view completely 100%, which prompted some to comment if there is really a rocket there at all.

Reactions: Grendal
I don't buy that it was a normal style leak from some manufacturing defect. That system hasn't changed and they haven't had a failure in it in 20+ landing attempts (other failures yes, just not TEA/TAB ignition issues).

I have to think it is due to the nature of the maximum altitude of the center core causing a temperature or pressure issue.

While the 2nd stage can relight after 6 hours in space the 2nd stage has always been expected to function in space. Stage 1 has always been expected to function in atmosphere. No stage 1 has done what the center core did before yesterday.

Heavy (center core), meco ~88km, separation ~91km speed at separation ~9500 km/h
Iridium 4 (stage 1), meco ~75 km, separation ~78km speed at separation ~7300 km/h

https://i.redd.it/cvo84so8aefy.png has some other first stage altitudes and you'll see most separate between 60 and 70 km.

edit: https://i.imgur.com/NezZ0Qf.png shows stage 1 continuing above 100km in a couple of cases. So that goes against my theory about altitude.

https://i.redd.it/15p6ll4zjrvz.png is another rev of the combined content.

Check out latest video from SpaceX.
At 29:50 all three engines are lit. A few seconds later the bottom one is out and the top is weak.

So it looks like TEA-TEB was not the issue (all three running). Possible turbo pump failure on one causing SW to shut down the other to balance?

Edit: I thought the side booster was the center core in upper right image in the video, corrected down thread

IMG_20180207_202429.jpg

At 29:50 all three engines are lit. A few seconds later the bottom one is out and the top is weak.

So it looks like TEA-TEB was not the issue (all three running). Possible turbo pump failure on one causing SW to shut down the other to balance?

Looks like what I thought was the top engine is actually the center engine turbopump's exhaust. So center lit, outer two lit, then outer two shut off. Also looks like the center core went horizontal. Overall, looks like wrong attitude before engine fire and worsened from there. Initial return parabola error? Maybe the engines cut out to abort landing and miss drone ship?

The video I posted of the landing:

I'll bet the people took this video from SLC-17. They seem to be up high. Maybe they are on one of the old launch towers from the Delta II.

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station Space Launch Complex 17 - Wikipedia
In a couple other landing clips on his channel (also pretty good), he mentions he's shooting from LC-37B, the Delta IV pad and you can see LC-34 to the South in the foreground. Last I saw, LC-17 is closed and fenced off.
Here's a pic I shot from this years Apollo 1 memorial ceremony at LC-34 looking back North to LC-37.
OM4fBYYZrgCDIp6sUSVXVemKy7P6vxJegzgNsiyAETYStyoZPB90XWLIaRFgQ1Xzg_fQeciXYBxbbeJ4=w3840-h2160

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SMAlset and Grendal

Final burn though? That time is just over a minute away from reaching the drone ship.

The side cores do a burn just under 90 seconds before their final landing burn...

• Disagree
Reactions: Rlkoffman