Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Heavy - General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WTF! "that they're not really doing anything revolutionary"

Reusability isn't a new concept. See: Space Shuttle. Spacex is just taking the concept to a new level. = evolution.

"spacex never having done this before", no, No one has done it before.

You're right, no one has ever put three spacex core stages in a hanger before.

We're talking about a picture here. Context, man.

Elon Musk tweet:

"Falcon Heavy side boosters can use most of the same airframe as Falcon 9, but center core needs to be buffed up a lot for transfer loads"

I wonder if it might be possible to connect the side cores directly to the 2nd stage (e.g. with load-bearing struts), to take some of the transfer loads off the center core? The advantage would be a lighter center core, perhaps allowing the same airframe for all three cores, and the struts themselves could detach at side-booster separation, so the center core wouldn't have to push the extra weight post-separation. (Also, less weight for the boostback/landing burns.)

Another idea: could the grid fins for the side cores be stowed inside the nose cap, to increase aerodynamic efficiency? I'm picturing the nose caps unfolding like flower petals and _becoming_ the grid fins, or at least becoming "flaps" to help the core decelerate as it reenters. Are the grid fins covered by fairings at launch to reduce drag?

I understand that the key to increased payload mass is the amount of fuel left in the center core at the moment of booster separation. And how to reach this without propellant cross feed.
If FH requires a modified center core, SpaceX could increase its fuel capacity right from the start. The limit is lift-off weight < initial thrust.

Yes, near the bottom of that page it shows this:
--------------------------------------------------------------
NovemberFalcon Heavy • Demo Flight
Launch window: TBD
Launch site: LC-39A, Kennedy Space Center, Florida
A SpaceX Falcon Heavy rocket will launch on its first demonstration flight. The heavy-lift rocket is formed of three Falcon 9 rocket cores strapped together with 27 Merlin 1D engines firing at liftoff. Delayed from 3rd Quarter of 2015 and April and September 2016. [March 16]
--------------------------------------------------------------

That will be awesome. No mention of any stage recovery attempts.

I watched the Delta-4-Heavy launch of the NRO spysat the other day, and noticed that they also use the trick of full thrust on the outer cores while throttling the center core. Then they shed the outers and keep going with the center. I had thought it was SpaceX's idea, but I think D4H well predates them. Now I wonder whether the idea of crossfeed (sending fuel from the outer cores to the center one, which I don't think they are currently intending to do) was new to them or not?

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
I watched the Delta-4-Heavy launch of the NRO spysat the other day, and noticed that they also use the trick of full thrust on the outer cores while throttling the center core. Then they shed the outers and keep going with the center. I had thought it was SpaceX's idea, but I think D4H well predates them. Now I wonder whether the idea of crossfeed (sending fuel from the outer cores to the center one, which I don't think they are currently intending to do) was new to them or not?

I'll have to watch that one again!

The idea's been around for quite a while. The Soviet Union's proposed UR-700 had a variant with crossfeeding, but it was never built:
UR-700

Its in the Angara concept too.

Definitely not a new idea. Smart people have been around for a while.

Likely the first real world use whenever FH implements. Smart people that are resourceful, motivated, and funded aren't quite as common.

Reactions: Ulmo
  • Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo