TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Blog Falcon Heavy Launch a Success, Musk's Roadster Sent into Orbit

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by TMC Staff, Feb 6, 2018.

1. shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade Member

I was looking at the live feed of Starman, and all I could think was:

"sheesh, look at the panel gaps in the roadster!"

;)

• Funny x 2
  2. Bobfitz1

Bobfitz1 Member

I like the way you think @Stewie26! I've been on the fence about whether the Roadster would be a valuable collector car one day. Now with those amazing images forever in the world's collective mind, I think it's a forgone conclusion it will in a few years.

If one day Tesla stock makes me stupid rich (not that unlikely. I'm halfway there already!) I could imagine building a mock up of the cherry red Roadster base that you could drive up onto, lock down and then hydraulically move to the launch position for display. Some LED stars on the ceiling, Bowie playing on the car's stereo and you'd be all set!

• Like x 1
  3. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

What was the highest speed seen on the speedo in the corner of the webcast?

Right now I have a bit of paper in the dash with 2018-107A on it. Waiting to see if any colleagues spot it. I might make that into a sticker.

4. Adrian Cockcroft

At the point where the side boosters shut off, 2.5minutes in, it was about 6666km/h and 60km (easy to remember).
    0-4142mph in 150s

5. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

There was definitely a speed over 10,000 km/h at one point, but as they were going to 40,000 km/h I wondered if there is one much higher.

6. gregd

gregd Active Member

#26 gregd, Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but now that they've done the 3rd burn and the car is on its way towards the Asteroid Belt, 2018-107A no longer works. In fact, as of this writing, those Keps put it 3612 miles altitude over Mexico, and dropping.

EDIT: Er, wait... 2018-107A? Not found. 2018-017A is there, but that's something else... Still, Keps don't work for things not in Earth orbit.

7. chadcristi

chadcristi Member

Awesome accomplishment! I liked the "Don't Panic!" message on the nav screen of Elon's roadster and decided to make one for the other Tesla owners to celebrate. Type in "http://teslagrin.com/dp" on your Tesla's browser and hang on!

Attached Files:

8. Robwoodruff

Robwoodruff Member

The orbital tracking page still shows the Tesla circling the earth, fairly close. He must have been joking about sending it out toward Mars.

9. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

10. Robwoodruff

Robwoodruff Member

The tracking page definitely says it is the Falcon Heavy/Tesla in an elliptical orbit around the earth. Musk said, "Third burn successful. Exceeded Mars orbit and kept going to the Asteroid Belt." Obviously that could not be possible since it would take several months for the car to get past Mars orbit. I think he was joking.

11. gregd

gregd Active Member

No, I do not believe he was joking. As I said, the tracking elements only work for objects in Earth orbit, so that became invalid after the 3rd burn. The track will now take it past Mars, not that it's already gotten there. From Elon's Twitter feed, there's this. Looks like it won't quite make it to Ceres...

DVZ0h3YW4AIc-9w.jpg

12. FlyF4

FlyF4 Member

Well Elon, I guess you realize you forgot to put a supercharger on Mars :eek:

13. Acho

Acho Member

It is downhill so don't worry ;)

• Funny x 1
  14. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Am I the only person who really wants a Starman SpaceX suit to wear next time I drive my Roadster at an event? :)

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 2
  15. bobinfla

bobinfla S-Vin 4086 Rdstr-Vin 0019

Nope, already asked my wife to work on one for me!

• Like x 2
  16. Acho

Acho Member

Can someone tell me the measurements of the nav screen in Roadster?

I want to make "Non't Panic!" Sticker

17. Jonathanm

Jonathanm Member

Yeah...I'd like 1 that looks good to go on the rear bumper....radio is cool but it would not make the radio any more practical...

18. Don TLR

Don TLR Member

DTPANIK would be a good plate for the car..

19. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

IMG_20180208_195348.jpg

• Informative x 1
  20. gregd

gregd Active Member

Looks like object 2018-017A has been removed from the Keps feed from Celestrak, which is appropriate since it's no longer in Earth orbit. I do the Earth orbit stuff all the time for ham radio, as well as deep sky stuff with a "goto" telescope, but how does one track a new object in solar orbit?