Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Falcon Heavy Launch a Success, Musk’s Roadster Sent Into Orbit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Elon Musk’s showmanship reached new heights Tuesday. Stunning livestream images showed his personal Tesla Roadster carried into space by SpaceX’s Falcon Heavy, which is now the most powerful rocket in operation.

The midnight cherry Roadster is one of Elon Musk’s privately owned vehicles, believed to be a 2010 model with VIN #686. The Roadster is now on a trajectory towards Mars with a mannequin dressed in a SpaceX-designed astronaut suit behind the wheel.

Screen-Shot-2018-02-06-at-3.57.57-PM.png

The car will float through space for six months to cover the 200-million-mile journey into Mars orbit.

Musk told journalists in a conference call Monday that the Roadster is now equipped with “a bunch of sensors” to send data back to Earth. And, there are three cameras now mounted to the Roadster that Musk said should provide some “epic views.”

Watch the launch livestream below.

[/vc_column_text][vc_video link=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBr2kKAHN6M&feature=youtu.be” video_title=”1″][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
You have have to wonder if all this cool publicity will give more future value to the roadster as a collector car?

I like the way you think @Stewie26! I've been on the fence about whether the Roadster would be a valuable collector car one day. Now with those amazing images forever in the world's collective mind, I think it's a forgone conclusion it will in a few years.

If one day Tesla stock makes me stupid rich (not that unlikely. I'm halfway there already!) I could imagine building a mock up of the cherry red Roadster base that you could drive up onto, lock down and then hydraulically move to the launch position for display. Some LED stars on the ceiling, Bowie playing on the car's stereo and you'd be all set!

Reactions: Stewie26
Right now I have a bit of paper in the dash with 2018-107A on it. Waiting to see if any colleagues spot it. I might make that into a sticker.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but now that they've done the 3rd burn and the car is on its way towards the Asteroid Belt, 2018-107A no longer works. In fact, as of this writing, those Keps put it 3612 miles altitude over Mexico, and dropping.

EDIT: Er, wait... 2018-107A? Not found. 2018-017A is there, but that's something else... Still, Keps don't work for things not in Earth orbit.

Last edited:
The tracking page definitely says it is the Falcon Heavy/Tesla in an elliptical orbit around the earth. Musk said, "Third burn successful. Exceeded Mars orbit and kept going to the Asteroid Belt." Obviously that could not be possible since it would take several months for the car to get past Mars orbit. I think he was joking.

The tracking page definitely says it is the Falcon Heavy/Tesla in an elliptical orbit around the earth. Musk said, "Third burn successful. Exceeded Mars orbit and kept going to the Asteroid Belt." Obviously that could not be possible since it would take several months for the car to get past Mars orbit. I think he was joking.
No, I do not believe he was joking. As I said, the tracking elements only work for objects in Earth orbit, so that became invalid after the 3rd burn. The track will now take it past Mars, not that it's already gotten there. From Elon's Twitter feed, there's this. Looks like it won't quite make it to Ceres...

DVZ0h3YW4AIc-9w.jpg