Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Heavy launch simulation - Roadster in space...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Might launch Feb 6th?

I hope the Roadster will have a Dashcam!

2018 02 06 Falcon Heavy Animation - Tesla Roadster.jpg

2018 02 06 Falcon Heavy Animation - Tesla Roadster - Mars .jpg

Beautiful video. Think I got some sawdust in my eye while watching. And I haven't been near a saw since yesterday. Feel like I'm 12 again and dreaming about being an astronaut after visiting the Johnson Space Center and hearing a NASA employee say that my generation would be the first on Mars. They said the same thing about my 4-year-old's generation when we went back last year. Jerks.

Hmmpf... last tweet was 17+ minutes ago; no word yet.

Curious, they keep saying the Roadster is in LEO. Presume another burn is needed to send to Mars? When?
When they hit perigee of the intended orbit. What ever adjustment you make here effects you on the opposite side.

So imagine a circle; if you're at 180* (bottom) and you want to make an adjustment to your altitude at 270* ( left side) you need to wait until you're at 90* (right side) once you get to the desired altitude at 270* in your circle you'd then burn fuel there and it would effect your altitude at 90* and you'd then make a perfect circle.

That's the basics of designing an orbit around a single body (earth) once you try to orbit the moon, mars, or the sun (independently of any other body) you get a little more complex. If you're a computer guy and have the time to play games, get Kerbal Space Program (KSP) I've literally wasted 20+ hours in a day playing it.

Ah, of course.

It's a bit odd that they signed off so quickly, without waiting for the status of the core landing, and the second second stage burn. They always do that for the commercial launches.

Hmmpf... last tweet was 17+ minutes ago; no word yet.

Curious, they keep saying the Roadster is in LEO. Presume another burn is needed to send to Mars? When?

yes, apparently about 6 hours after launch. from an ars technica interview with Elon released today,

"After the launch and six-hour cruise, the Falcon Heavy’s upper stage will fire a third time to send the Tesla into a cycling orbit between Earth and Mars. This should take the Tesla out as far as the Martian orbit around the Sun, or even a bit further. Musk said the vehicle should get as far as 380 to 450 million km from Earth, depending on how the third burn goes."

Elon Musk says the Falcon Heavy has a 50-50 chance of success