Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Heavy STP-2 mission - Delayed - Now 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

NET June. No date yet. But an interesting story came out yesterday. See Rideshare mission for U.S. military confirmed as second Falcon Heavy launch – Spaceflight Now

Quote: “More than two dozen satellites from the U.S. military, NASA and research institutions will ride into orbit on SpaceX’s second Falcon Heavy rocket launch, a mission currently scheduled for liftoff in June, a military spokesperson said... Known as the Space Test Program-2, or STP-2, mission, the Falcon Heavy launch will launch with 25 spacecraft inside its nose cone, according to a spokesperson from the U.S. Air Force’s Space and Missile Systems Center.“

It’s like carpooling, but in space. :)

Lots of interesting info in that article.

I thought the tourist moon ride was 'planned' for after all the crew capsule tests and likely after NASA formally approves Dragon 2 for manned missions to ISS. What's your source for it being shelved?

Elon was quoted as saying they would focus FH on cargo and shift the capsule work to the BFR, rather than do the extra effort of certifying both rockets for human flight. Or something to that effect.

I thought the tourist moon ride was 'planned' for after all the crew capsule tests and likely after NASA formally approves Dragon 2 for manned missions to ISS. What's your source for it being shelved?
From that Falcon Heavy article that @ecarfan posted:

"Musk said there are no plans to fly people on Falcon Heavy rockets. SpaceX is working in an even bigger rocket for humans, the Big Falcon Rocket, or BFR, that the company claims could begin orbital test flights in the early 2020s.

A plan to send two-person team of tourists on a flight around the moon and back to Earth on a Falcon Heavy rocket has been shelved for now, he said."

Reactions: jbcarioca
From that Falcon Heavy article that @ecarfan posted:
"Musk said there are no plans to fly people on Falcon Heavy rockets. SpaceX is working in an even bigger rocket for humans, the Big Falcon Rocket, or BFR, that the company claims could begin orbital test flights in the early 2020s.
A plan to send two-person team of tourists on a flight around the moon and back to Earth on a Falcon Heavy rocket has been shelved for now, he said."

Thanks @scaesare. I guess there are two disappointed multi millionaires around somewhere!
In my dopey opinion (IMDO), I'd still like to see SpaceX set a prescedent they can launch non astronauts they select without NASA being in the loop, sooner rather than later.

Reactions: Grendal
Thanks @scaesare. I guess there are two disappointed multi millionaires around somewhere!
In my dopey opinion (IMDO), I'd still like to see SpaceX set a prescedent they can launch non astronauts they select without NASA being in the loop, sooner rather than later.
I also agree. With D2 certified and F9 certified for astronauts, it shouldn't be so hard to certify FH. The safety system built into D2 should work equally well for both.

SpaceX should not have to jump through a bunch of bureaucratic hoops.

Reactions: croman
Holy crap! That’s a lot of satellites for a barely tested launch vehicle!

It’s not uncommon for a new (or sometimes even a return-to-flight) launcher to carry a bunch of free or near-free rides. Especially when it comes to university-sats, a lot of the value is in the design phase. Launching is just a cherry on top.

Posting a large quantity of spacecraft on the record wall (admittedly, 26 isn’t that large anymore, as previously noted...) is a low expense win for spacex.

It is in that mission that Bill Nye and his team are sending a micro satellite, who size that fits in a suitcase and has solar sails that spreads like an accordion. Apparently these are not the ones that generate electricity but uses the solar wind to generate momentum and accelerates very gently but almost infinitely as long as it gets the solar wind.