Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Heavy to Launch Next Month, Musk Says He's Sending His Roadster to Mars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ok, so who has dibs on the PEM? :D

Me

20171203_140134.png

There have been a few people who tossed this idea around previously (cough.... me :)).
And me, in a tweet to Elon several months ago suggesting that SpaceX use a pre-production Model 3 vehicle as a dummy payload.

@HankLloydRight Elon didn’t just decide a few days ago to throw his Roadster on top of the FH for fun. This would have to have been planned many months ago, because the payload bay attachments would have to be custom made to hold the car. So Elon’s recent tweets were not some spur-of-the-moment late night ramblings. His back-and-forth with The Verge is likely explained by his awareness that his announcement the day before was so unusual that many people were not taking him literally so he decided to have some fun for a few hours before again stating as clearly as he could that yes, a Roadster was going to Mars, in the spirit of the giant wheel of cheese (labeled “Top Secret”) that was inside the first Dragon capsule to go to orbit in 2010 (see Space company's secret cargo a 'cheesy' joke - CNN.com ).

Here is a photo of the fourth Inmarsat 5 ready to be encapsulated in a Falcon 9 fairing. Think about what would have to be done to mount a Roadster inside there. You don’t decide to do that with a Roadster a few weeks before the launch date. It has to be planned long in advance.

C_n4ckHXcAEveci-2.jpg

I need to tell a friend how much mileage one can put on a Tesla. Can someone figure out a distance-to-dumping off spot (let's assume to Hohmann transfer), plus what a single-orbit distance that would be? I'll tell my friend something like "by the end of next year, one of Mr Musk's own Roadsters will have clocked _____miles....."

¿How big is a brazillion?
Easy enough. Earth's orbit averages pretty close to 150Gm (gigameters). Mars is a bit more elliptical orbit, but call it 225Gm on average. Circumference of an ellipse is (r1+r2) where r1 and r2 are the semi-major and semi-minor axes. Hmmm... not as easy as I thought... don't know the semi-minor... research...

OK. Thanks to this website. First eccentricity, which is the ratio of the displacement of the focus from the center of the ellipse, over the semi-major axis. The focus (one of them anyway) is the sun, 150Gm from the perihelion (Earth's orbit). The center is halfway between Earth's and Mars' orbits; 187.5Gm. So e=37.5/187.5 = 0.2 (convenient, that, a consequence of Mars' orbit being pretty close to 1.5 times Earth's). The semi-minor axis is b=sqrt((1-e^2)a^2) (sorry no formatting). b=183.71Gm. So the circumference of the elliptical orbit is 1.166Tm (terameters), or 724.5 million miles. Roughly.

What fun!

Elon didn’t just decide a few days ago to throw his Roadster on top of the FH for fun. This would have to have been planned many months ago, because the payload bay attachments would have to be custom made to hold the car. So Elon’s recent tweets were not some spur-of-the-moment

Here is a photo of the fourth Inmarsat 5 ready to be encapsulated in a Falcon 9 fairing. Think about what would have to be done to mount a Roadster inside there. You don’t decide to do that with a Roadster a few weeks before the launch date. It has to be planned long in advance.

C_n4ckHXcAEveci-2.jpg
Yes, I agree with you. This was definitely planned. Though, I am sure that mounting a roadster would not be nearly as complex. It needs to be secure and weight balanced. The satellite, OTOH, is a delicate and complex instrument worth millions (not to put down the value of a Roadster), that has to function precisely upon deployment.