Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Heavy to Launch Next Month, Musk Says He's Sending His Roadster to Mars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's another thread in the SpaceX forum. Falcon Heavy to Launch Next Month, Musk Says He's Sending His Roadster to Mars

Supposedly, Musk told the Verge he "made it up."

Elon needs to lay off the Ambien and whisky for late night tweeting.

And now it is apparently back to being true. Eric Berger is an aerospace reporter.

Eric Berger (@SciGuySpace) | Twitter
Elon Musk told me just now, on Saturday afternoon: The Tesla to Mars mission is "100% real." Would be nice if SpaceX's communications team stepped in here.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rouget
Now there are two contradictory positions on this:

We have the original tweets from Elon.

The we got this article from The Verge:
Elon Musk told us he was sending a car to space, then said he totally made it up

And now there is a recent tweet from aerospace reporter/insider Eric Berger:
Eric Berger (@SciGuySpace) | Twitter
Elon Musk told me just now, on Saturday afternoon: The Tesla to Mars mission is "100% real." Would be nice if SpaceX's communications team stepped in here.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: e-FTW and GoTslaGo
B61238CF-9605-4C07-9C6A-3523A14156A0.png

I did tweet Elon this idea back in August. :)

But honestly, its a very obvious payload when you think about his two companies and his love of unorthodox marketing.

• Love
Reactions: Rouget
More details directly from Elon here:

Elon Musk: On the Roadster to Mars

It’s going near Mars. He said it’ll be placed in “a precessing Earth-Mars elliptical orbit around the sun.” What he means by this is what’s sometimes called a Hohmann transfer orbit, an orbit around the Sun that takes it as close to the Sun as Earth and as far out as Mars. This is a low-energy orbit; that is, it takes the least amount of energy to put something in this orbit from Earth. That makes sense for a first flight.

He's apparently taking ideas for things to send with it. I'm waging a campaign to send a small china teapot with the word "RUSSELL" written on it, to solve this dang issue once and for all ;)

Really, this whole situation is hilarious. He could get an insurance company to make a special insurance plan for it for PR. Insured against collision with spacecraft. No mileage limits. Capture by alien spacecraft deemed to be an act of god. Etc. ;) Or his insurance could declare it a writeoff. Can you imagine the Carfax report? "Damage: 1) HV battery, 12V battery, and all fluids missing. 2) Structural beams welded to delicate components 3) Vehicle endured heavy vibrational and G loads 4) Vehicle exposed to temperatures between -140°C and 180°C 5) Vehicle exposed to unusual weather conditions (complete absense of weather)." Or imagine if someone tapes a photo of the license plate over their car's plate and speeds past a traffic camera, causing Elon to get a traffic citation. Easiest Citation To Get Dismissed Ever. Unless of course he changed the registration address for the vehicle, in which the postal service is going to be in for quite the bit of confusion when it comes time to deliver it ;)

Anyway, as I wrote over on the Model 3 forum: Thank you, Elon, for making life more like living in a cartoon. ;) Seriously... what's next, testing a new rentry system by landing a flaming bag of dog poo on Bezos's doorstep? Dropping an anvil on a roadrunner? ;)

I need to tell a friend how much mileage one can put on a Tesla. Can someone figure out a distance-to-dumping off spot (let's assume to Hohmann transfer), plus what a single-orbit distance that would be? I'll tell my friend something like "by the end of next year, one of Mr Musk's own Roadsters will have clocked _____miles....."

¿How big is a brazillion?

Reactions: Grendal
You know, thinking about this some more, something hit me.

This is art. This Roadster will be - if successful - the first-ever "meaningful" installation of space art. Not to serve a purpose - just something to make people think and feel. And that's what art is.

Whatever you call it, it’s bloody brilliant. He's found a way to bring the joy back to the space industry. He's captured the imaginations of every space nut in the world with a stunt, worthy of a place in a Douglas Adams novel. For so many years NASA lost that joy. Space became mundane and bureaucratic.

All you have to do is look at the amount of money spent on video games, sci-fi movies, comic books and all manner of related paraphernalia, and you can see that there are a lot of people who desperately want the space industry to be fun, exciting, and a little bit crazy. And those people are willing to go to some incredible lengths to support somebody who is making it happen.

I'm ever more convinced that Tesla will succeed - just because there is a huge army of people who see EM doing these crazy things and desperately want him to succeed. And people will buy cars, and shares, and support him in any way just to be small part of that adventure.

what's next, testing a new rentry system by landing a flaming bag of dog poo on Bezos's doorstep?

Good lord, you don't need to give him any more ideas!! We don't need to start an Evil Genius war. Or maybe we do?! :)

Ok, so this is looking more real. But I think Elon started it out as a whiskey and ambien fueled joke, but when he woke up and saw the traction it was getting, decided to make it real. Just like those ThinkGeek April Fools day products that were so popular, they decided to make them, like the Star Wars Tauntaun Sleeping Bag . So everybody is correct.

• Funny
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Good lord, you don't need to give him any more ideas!! We don't need to start an Evil Genius war. Or maybe we do?! :)

Ok, so this is looking more real. But I think Elon started it out as a whiskey and ambien fueled joke, but when he woke up and saw the traction it was getting, decided to make it real. Just like those ThinkGeek April Fools day products that were so popular, they decided to make them, like the Star Wars Tauntaun Sleeping Bag . So everybody is correct.

No. :) I don't think so. There have been a few people who tossed this idea around previously (cough.... me :)). And, wish it though I may, I'm quite certain that I'm not any more original or imaginative than the folks within SpaceX. :) I'm pretty sure they've been holding this one on reserve for the right time!