Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Heavy - General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
'Transporter' ... so it is used to transport F9. There is an F9 connected to it, so they cannot modify it.

There have been pictures in the last few days showing the LC-39A TEL without the rocket attached getting worked on. So apparently the Zuma payload has been removed and the rocket placed in storage while the fairing issue gets resolved. That seems to have allowed for TEL modification to occur.

As far as I can tell, SpaceX is still planning on the late December launch for FH. The fairing issue is troubling and affects FH as well as Iridium. The bigger tell for a delay will be if static fires get delayed. They are the most critical step for a FH launch to occur.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: RCOST and jkn
I still wonder if SpaceX will build a new reusable second stage, possibly with a non-separating fairing. At that point, everything would be reusable and the cost might well be below the F9. The lift mass obviously would be much less, but for most missions, it likely would be more than enough. For the few that weren't, they could use the old one time second stages.

I'm aware that BFR/BFS is supposed to replace F9 and FH, but am VERY doubtful that will happen anytime soon. SpaceX's and for that matter all of Elon's companies, have a pretty poor record for forecasting accuracy.

Is FH going to launch this year? I'm betting it won't happen until February 2018 at the earliest. Zuma was stood down and there's been no reschedule yet. CRS-13 is *supposed* to launch from SLC-40, but I haven't heard anything to suggest SLC-40 was ready with only a week and a half to go. I wouldn't be surprised if CRS-13 is launched out of 39A, and if that's the case and spacex manages to meet the "2 months" timeline for finishing building up 39A for FH once 40 becomes available again, Hence, my guess at NET February.
I think we can now say with high confidence it won't launch in 2017.
The only chance is if CRS13 launches on LC40 without a hitch, Zuma gets moved to LC40 and LC39A is freed up for FH preparations and everything go perfect without a single unplanned delay.
The chances of FH preparations all going 100% perfect are slim to none. There are so many moving parts.
But a Jan'18 launch is the most likely scenario.

I still wonder if SpaceX will build a new reusable second stage..
Based on what Gwen Shotwell had to say at the Stanford talk she gave some weeks ago, I believe the answer to that is no.

IIRC, she said if they had missions with extra fuel in the second stage they'd do some experiments/observations on second stage reentry (before it burns up), but that they wouldn't be developing a reusable second stage. Development efforts will focus on the BFR.

I still wonder if SpaceX will build a new reusable second stage, possibly with a non-separating fairing. At that point, everything would be reusable and the cost might well be below the F9. The lift mass obviously would be much less, but for most missions, it likely would be more than enough. For the few that weren't, they could use the old one time second stages.

I'm aware that BFR/BFS is supposed to replace F9 and FH, but am VERY doubtful that will happen anytime soon. SpaceX's and for that matter all of Elon's companies, have a pretty poor record for forecasting accuracy.

To add on to what Doug said, I forget which launch it was but they did do test relight of the second stage long after payload deploy.

Based on what Gwen Shotwell had to say at the Stanford talk she gave some weeks ago, I believe the answer to that is no.

IIRC, she said if they had missions with extra fuel in the second stage they'd do some experiments/observations on second stage reentry (before it burns up), but that they wouldn't be developing a reusable second stage. Development efforts will focus on the BFR.
I'm aware of that, and it may well be what happens. However, I remain unconvinced. The BFR/BFS is a gigantic project which possibly may be under-estimated.

Amy news on the static fire? 39A should be free to focus on that, as SLC-40 has shown it is up to speed, and ready for Zuma.

No specific news. The delays getting SLC-40 fully operational has delayed the static fire that was supposed to happen two days ago. I think the best we can hope for now is to have the static fire happen sometime this year. We'll probably get a date for the SF this week now that the CRS-13 launch is done.

• Informative
Reactions: e-FTW
Posted in the SpaceX FB group by member Erik Madaus: “NSF user Lar recently posted on the public side that the core and side boosters are integrated.”

He means the three FH first stages are now connected. They would be in the HIF for pad 39A.

Another item of interest, which has probably already been posted somewhere in this very long thread: under “Future Missions” at Launch Manifest | SpaceX , besides the FH “DEMO” mission there are four paying customers shown for FH launches:

VIASAT
US AIR FORCE (STP-2)
INMARSAT
ARABSAT (ARABSAT 6A)