Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Max Open Height Not Being Saved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the owner's manual:
"When Model X detects a low ceiling (for example, in a garage), it opens the falcon wing doors (and trunk) to a lower height, even if no obstacle is detected. You can override this height and open the doors higher by touching the associated door icon on the touchscreen (Controls). The touchscreen displays a message asking you if you always want to open the doors to the higher height at this location, and saves your choice. The next time you open the falcon wing doors at this location, Model X opens them to the height you saved."

I get no such touchscreen message. Do you?

Yes.
C36FF049-FC6D-45C0-A1AE-665C939E2134.jpeg

That doesn't look like the same thing. "Doors open fully..." isn't the same as "to the height you saved". Can you program your doors to open at, say, 80% of max height?
I played with it and could only get it to save a fully open height. And I now remember that other people have commented on this too, that the FWD can’t be saved at a partial height, despite the manual implying that it can. It’s as if the person who wrote those manual words thought there was only 2 options, partially open and fully open (“the higher height”).

I’m having issues in my garage where it opens just a little bit and then when I physically hold the door button it opens a little bit more but it won’t go all the way. My previous model X had no problem so there’s plenty of room in the garage. The touchscreen can override it I need to try that next?

I’m having issues in my garage where it opens just a little bit and then when I physically hold the door button it opens a little bit more but it won’t go all the way. My previous model X had no problem so there’s plenty of room in the garage. The touchscreen can override it I need to try that next?
You can also override it by holding the door open button from the rear seat. From the man screen you may be able to get it to offer "Always fully open at this location" but that option does not always come up.

You can also override it by holding the door open button from the rear seat. From the man screen you may be able to get it to offer "Always fully open at this location" but that option does not always come up.
Yeah the door open button in the rear seat is what I have been doing and it just doesn’t go fully open. Any other ideas how to trick it to open fully?

I have my doors set to fully open in my garage but they still won't. It seems to just reduce the sensitivity of the proximity sensors and not completely ignore them.
I had the same issue and I couldn’t physically override in the garage but when I pulled just outside of the garage and opened them fully I got the message “open fully at this location” and that tricked it into opening fully 10 feet back in the garage when I tried again. Not sure if you tried that yet.

I had the same issue and I couldn’t physically override in the garage but when I pulled just outside of the garage and opened them fully I got the message “open fully at this location” and that tricked it into opening fully 10 feet back in the garage when I tried again. Not sure if you tried that yet.
I did the override on the screen and on the actual door button, I forgot which one worked but eventually i fumbled around and was able to lock it in. I know sometimes it just doesn‘t do what it should despite trying these things too.

I had the option to fully open while i was in my garage and i selected it, but what I'm saying is that even though I have that set, it still won't open fully. It just opens more than it used to before I clicked to open fully.

I had the option to fully open while i was in my garage and i selected it, but what I'm saying is that even though I have that set, it still won't open fully. It just opens more than it used to before I clicked to open fully.
The initial setup of the "open fully" option uses only the upward facing sensor in the center of the roof. But when the doors actually open, eventually the normal side facing sensor in the FWD itself, becomes closer to horizontal, it will prevent a full open if it detects something in the way.

Reactions: Bradlmas