Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Super Heavy/Starship - General Development Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This will launch in April. We all know that. Musk has been informed

This is interesting. My guess is these buoys will be used to mark and monitor the ocean area in the Gulf where the booster will land after the orbital launch attempt.

1F75819E-84C9-48D7-B93B-AB276AD74939.jpeg

No launch license yet, but expected soon.
I stand corrected.

(Feb 21, 2023) https://observer.com/2023/02/spacexs-starship-orbital-launch-delay-nasa-calendar/

A time slot for SpaceX’s Starship orbital test on NASA’s calendar has been removed, adding new uncertainties around the highly anticipated flight of the world’s largest privately developed rocket.

On the regulatory side, however, SpaceX still has to settle a few issues with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), which issues launch licenses for all space missions in the U.S.

SpaceX hasn’t received a license from the FAA to launch Starship just yet. The federal agency completed a lengthy environmental review of the proposed test in June last year and required SpaceX to take more than 75 actions to mitigate environmental impacts related to the flight.
This must be driving Elon absolutely nuts.

If you click on that link it will take you to post #32 on that thread. And then it will be clear to you and everyone why April launch is certain
😂
It was obviously not clear to me.

If you had used that emoji in your earlier post (#2,224 in this thread) than I would have understood that you were joking.

That’s what emojis are for; to add context to text. You could also have added something like (joking) or ;-)

If we had been having a face to face conversation and you had smiled as you said it then I would have understood.

Clear communication is helpful and useful skill.

I'm saying F9 will be the workhorse for non starlink missions for years to come--through end of decade for sure--because most current and near term missions aren't all that compatible with Starship. For sure there will be occasional commercial or beyond earth SS launches, but most customers care about the bottom line, and so most customers are going to opt for F9. SX certainly needs more money than they thought to get Starlink profitable andand Starship off the ground (you don't keep raising money if you don't need money) so certainly SX won't retire F9 until internally SS returns a cost advantage on external revenue.

I'm also speculating that Starship will evolve into a smaller, more versatile "2.0" because it likely won't ever get to that cost advantage over Falcon 9.
You're expecting launch cost of SS to be more than F9? And a smaller version will help with that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Grendal
You're expecting launch cost of SS to be more than F9? And a smaller version will help with that?

Yes, and yes. The issue is that SS is WAAAY too big for anything but the mega-ist of constellations or big lift human based missions (which is its point) and so there's not going to be a huge external demand to buying a more expensive rocket even if it has more favorable mass-to-orbit economics.

Last edited by a moderator: