Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Super Heavy/Starship - General Development Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While the Ship has flown and landed, the booster has never flown.

Perhaps it might have been wise to test the booster by flying it the same distance as the Ship and try landing it by catching on the chopsticks.
What benefit would that test provide?
Having an unproven booster purposely operating around Stage Zero more than necessary seems risk heavy.

Requirements:
Get Starship to 64km with appropriate velocity
Separate and spin
Relight for boostback
Survive re-entry
Relight for landing
Control both its position and zero velocity point

Once all those are achieved, then move the 0,0 point to the chopsticks.

I'm no rocket surgeon, but curious if anyone has any thoughts on this guys take on why F9 is incredible but Starship is dumb- (the lack of flame diverter stuff being just a tiny bit of his criticisms all the way back to design stage and intent of vehicle)

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
I'm no rocket surgeon, but curious if anyone has any thoughts on this guys take on why F9 is incredible but Starship is dumb- (the lack of flame diverter stuff being just a tiny bit of his criticisms all the way back to design stage and intent of vehicle)

Based on preview, I'm not going to give them a click.

F9 used preexisting dormant NASA launch sites, is road transportable, and McGregor supports full duration static fire testing.

Based on preview, I'm not going to give them a click.

F9 used preexisting dormant NASA launch sites, is road transportable, and McGregor supports full duration static fire testing.

FWIW the actual post is a lot less... personal?

He goes into some history back to the 90s with Delta IV, how Boeings falures defined SpaceX's later success, and how that success was largely discarded during starship development.... the flaps and flame trench things already mentioned in this thread are just a couple of the points he raises.... he also suggests a lot of the experts that made Falcon so good are not the folks who have been working on Starship- specifically saying:

When Elon Musk built his team out in the wetlands of south texas, at a site that had originally only been slated to be a ground tracking station, then a potential falcon 9 launchsite at most, he brought almost nobody with him that worked on Falcon 9, or really, rockets or launchpads in general.

I haven't followed SpaceX personnel close enough (other than knowing Mueller backed off direct engine work like 7-8 years ago, went part time 4 years ago, and left entirely in 2020) to know what weight that claim holds (and if it doesn't perhaps his others don't either) but figured folks here might.

Reactions: navguy12
FWIW the actual post is a lot less... personal?

He goes into some history back to the 90s with Delta IV, how Boeings falures defined SpaceX's later success, and how that success was largely discarded during starship development.... the flaps and flame trench things already mentioned in this thread are just a couple of the points he raises.... he also suggests a lot of the experts that made Falcon so good are not the folks who have been working on Starship- specifically saying:

I haven't follows SpaceX personnel close enough to know what weight that claim holds (and if it doesn't perhaps his others don't either) but figured folks here might.
OK, I read it...
I'm not sure how geographic assignment matters in the time of same day private jet transport. Not that being on site is that critical for overall design.
Bica Chica timeline was ...
Ground prep started 2014
OLM construction proper started 2020ish

Engine failure mode isn't determined.

Starship is not overreaching on features, nor adding features for feature's sake, the additional operational modes are inherent in the base design.
Starship flaps are not akin the Shuttle wings
They did switch from transperational cooling to tiles
They did switch from carbon fiber to stainless steel
HLS is on Starship, but some potential alternates also rely on non-flown launch vehicles.

Like F9, Starship has:
Same tooling for both stage tanks
Same fuel for both stages
Same engine core on both stages

"When Elon Musk built his team out in the wetlands of south texas, at a site that had originally only been slated to be a ground tracking station, then a potential falcon 9 launchsite at most, he brought almost nobody with him that worked on Falcon 9, or really, rockets or launchpads in general."
Why should we care about what some random clueless asshat said about Starship? Elon Musk ate people a million times more competent than him for breakfast.

And no, Boca Chica was never "originally only been slated to be a ground tracking station", when they started the EIS in 2012, the intention from the start is a launch site (for both Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy btw, not just "Falcon 9 at most"): Details Emerge on SpaceX’s Proposed Texas Launch Site

For various reasons they put the launch site on hold after finishing the EIS in 2014, then in 2016 they brought two tracking antennas (old NASA surplus) to Boca Chica to turn it into a tracking station: SpaceX to Bring 2 Ground Stations Antennas to RGV

Why should we care about what some random clueless asshat said about Starship?
YouTube is full of clueless idiots looking for clicks to try and make some money. Beats working, apparently.

Okay, let me rephrase; on YouTube there are many people who portray themselves as experts on a topic when in fact all they do is pick a high visibility subject (Musk, Tesla, SpaceX) and without doing any serious research throw together a video of their random thoughts and hope for clicks to try to make money.

Last edited:

At least that is what they are assumed to be.

IMG_2385.jpeg

Reactions: Grendal
Would love to see the data that came out of that test!
I want to see the simulation of the flows when 33 engines fire across the surface of a wide, flat metal plate with water being pumped into the interface. I can see how a trench directs the flow, avoiding overpressure problems. I can't see how a flat plate is going to manage to do the same. The whole "flat surface" flame handling is just so odd.

Also, I thought the test conditions were curious. The engine didn't seem to be firing at full power, but it was much closer to the plate than the engines will be for a launch. Perhaps the combination provided a way of creating the conditions at launch. Or perhaps I just misinterpreted what I saw.

• Informative
Reactions: EVCollies
That was several kinds of awesome.

I do find the thrust flame interesting though.. it's not the well-formed purple stream with shock-diamonds we've seen from Raptor.

I suspect it may be the water stream firing almost directly in to the nozzle, but even once raptor starts firing, the exhaust immediately exiting t he nozzle (ostensibly before coming in to contact with water), is already orangish and less defined.

That was several kinds of awesome.

I do find the thrust flame interesting though.. it's not the well-formed purple stream with shock-diamonds we've seen from Raptor.

I suspect it may be the water stream firing almost directly in to the nozzle, but even once raptor starts firing, the exhaust immediately exiting t he nozzle (ostensibly before coming in to contact with water), is already orangish and less defined.
I think the camera was having issues. Flame impingement site was saturated white.
Reflected energy could mess up mach diamonds.
Also possible they went fuel/ film cooling rich.

Reactions: scaesare