Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Super Heavy/Starship - General Development Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The tweet below makes sense to me, now that I have watched: KSP Doesn't Teach: Rocket Engine Plumbing

Raptor is *very* complex, even for a staged combustion engine. We’re simplifying as much as possible with each iteration. Throttling down to ~50% is hard, but manageable. Going to 25% would be extremely tough, but hopefully not needed.

The ratio of turbo pump pressures V chamber pressure, versus what power you are running the engine at can create power levels that don't work well. If that makes sense.

I hope they can get away with something like 10 different shaped tiles, rather than every tile being different (like the space shuttle). For the sylindrical parts of the Starship, they can probably get away with just one shape. The nose cone and the control surfaces will be a bigger challenge.

Guesses from NSF: Hexagons are made from stainless steel and have some insulator inside, shaped like SS cake pans. And first iteration test subjects are literally stainless steel cake pans ; P

SpaceX is testing the heat shield:
Elon Musk on Twitter

Are those metallic or ceramic?
More possible types of TPS (from NSF)

European Space Agency's version:
2006ESASP.631E..23F Page 23.2

NASA's version for X-33:
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20040095922.pdf

Meanwhile we wait the first Starhopper hop; wallpapers from Gravitation Innovation:
54434561_296963824330803_5643234371474292736_o.jpg

54175273_296963840997468_6549287460919050240_o.jpg

53337678_296963854330800_2474147586244608000_o.jpg

54258197_296963927664126_8935224072535539712_n.jpg

Missing Hexagon TPS and landing legs/fins ; P (SpX iterates too fast...)

@ecarfan
Here u go, quality stinks but it’s a pretty relaxed Elon.
Thanks! What an amazing thing for Elon to do; basically he took a day off to fly to Flint to go to that school and talk to those kids. What cracked me up is that he didn’t really talk down to them, he just talked like he usually does.

To get back on topic for this thread...now I understand what was mentioned upthread, after the Starship animation video was shown there were some stills of the interior that I had not seen before.

Of course it’s just an animation. But everytime I watch Starship animations I want to get onboard and go!

If NASA was ever allowed to do a “competitive, commercial program to build a moon base that is outcome-oriented” SpaceX would crush the competition. Could probably get the start of a moon base in place for a few billion dollars. Peanuts.

Unfortunately, I doubt Congress will budget the funds for a program structured like that.

Reactions: Grendal
The reason the Everyday Astronaut posted that was because of this:
NASA on Twitter
"It is the stated policy of this Administration and the United States of America to return astronauts to the Moon within the next five years,"
"If commercial rockets are the only option, then so it will be".
From VP Mike Pence at the latest National Space Council meeting.

The reason the Everyday Astronaut posted that was because of this:
NASA on Twitter
"It is the stated policy of this Administration and the United States of America to return astronauts to the Moon within the next five years,"
"If commercial rockets are the only option, then so it will be".
From VP Mike Pence at the latest National Space Council meeting.
Yes, and when that administration is gone in less than 2 years policies will change. It’s impossible for NASA to set a goal and maintain a funded program to reach that goal unless the program is really a barrel of pork spread across multiple states. That’s how it gets funded.

There is really no chance that SpaceX can get the funding needed to establish a moon base. Senator Shelby will not allow it.