Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Super Heavy/Starship - General Development Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Starship & SH seems to progress fast pace, but not fast enough for Elon:

Leaked email parts:

... Unfortunately, the Raptor production crisis is much worse than it had seemed a few weeks ago. As we have dug into the issues following the exiting of prior senior management, they have unfortunately turned out to be far more severe than was reported. There is no way to sugarcoat this.

... I was going to take this weekend off, as my first weekend off in a long time, but instead, I will be on the Raptor line all night and through the weekend. ...

Unless you have critical family matters or cannot physically return to Hawthorne, we will need all hands on deck to recover from what is, quite frankly, a disaster.

The consequences for SpaceX if we can not get enough reliable Raptors made is that we then can’t fly Starship, which means we then can’t fly Starlink Satellite V2 (Falcon has neither the volume nor the mass to orbit needed for satellite V2). Satellite V1, by itself, is financially weak, while V2 is strong.

In addition, we are spooling up terminal production to several million units per year, which will consume massive capital, assuming that satellite V2 will be on orbit to handle the bandwidth demand. These terminals will be useless otherwise.

... What it comes down to, is that we face a genuine risk of bankruptcy if we can’t achieve a Starship flight rate of at least once every two weeks next year.

Thanks,

Elon

Wow, no *sugarcoating indeed.

*(this time sugar is sugar and not a censored word)

What an asshole. Elon Musk demanded that SpaceX workers in Los Angeles come to work on Thanksgiving weekend to speed up Raptor engine production. Did it at the last minute too, with a rude, manipulative mass e-mail.

(Sadly, rumor has it that the other private rocket company is run by an even bigger asshole.)

What an asshole. Elon Musk demanded that SpaceX workers in Los Angeles come to work on Thanksgiving weekend to speed up Raptor engine production. Did it at the last minute too, with a rude, manipulative mass e-mail.

(Sadly, rumor has it that the other private rocket company is run by an even bigger asshole.)
I'm sure those workers knew what they had signed up for. Except for a few, most probably won't will spend their entire career at SpaceX. Imagine, to have that experience listed on their resumes..... priceless.

262346179_5469107756438653_382149709860061483_n.jpg

263445443_5469639703052125_6301308680849478052_n.jpg

I'm sure those workers knew what they had signed up for. Except for a few, most probably won't will spend their entire career at SpaceX. Imagine, to have that experience listed on their resumes..... priceless.

It depends a lot on the hiring team of course, but if they understand the work environment at SpaceX (so, most of the space industry), the experience actually ends up being more of a yellow flag than a gold star for the prospective employee.

On the upside, the barrier to entry for SpaceX is pretty high--so if a resume comes your way with a spaceX bullet point on it, you know that person is very likely to be above average. The issue is that, more than most companies, one leaves SpaceX because they a) washed out or b) burnt out. So, especially if the person is coming right from SpaceX the hiring team needs to spend quite a bit of time ferreting out how damaged the goods are, because the above average person can also be pretty good at covering up fallout from SpaceX...