Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Super Heavy/Starship - General Development Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doesn’t sound great?
Better than I feared. It seemed pretty clear based on the amount of work in FL that SpaceX was going to be doing launches there. This at least lets them do test work. They'll have to launch around sea turtle nesting seasons. 5 different species nest in TX so I assume that is a long season. I would guess all spring and summer will be out but I don't know.

Better than I feared. It seemed pretty clear based on the amount of work in FL that SpaceX was going to be doing launches there. This at least lets them do test work. They'll have to launch around sea turtle nesting seasons. 5 different species nest in TX so I assume that is a long season. I would guess all spring and summer will be out but I don't know.
I just read/ searched through the 75 items and SpaceX is not precluded from launching during the nesting/ hatching period (March 15- October 1). Only restriction is that, after the second launch in nesting season per year, they need extra review.

49. If sea turtle nests are discovered prior to closure and security sweeps, SpaceX will coordinate with Sea Turtle Inc. to remove eggs prior to launch. Findings will be included in the annual report to the USFWS.
51. If SpaceX plans to conduct more than two of the ten annual launches under the Proposed Action at night during the sea turtle nesting and hatching season (March 15th – October 1st), SpaceX and the FAA will contact the USFWS within 30 days of the third nighttime launch (and any subsequent nighttime launches planned during that year) to discuss if there is a need for additional take authorization.

The rest is lighting impact mitigation and trash removal.

Here’s hoping…

D7AD6F09-6AD1-4294-90E7-2B090792BD20.jpeg

I just read/ searched through the 75 items and SpaceX is not precluded from launching during the nesting/ hatching period (March 15- October 1). Only restriction is that, after the second launch in nesting season per year, they need extra review.

The rest is lighting impact mitigation and trash removal.
Ughhhh, I choose Sept 2022 for the Charity bet #3: first Starship in orbit (redux), turtle nesting season.

With the newly issued FONSI saying that SpaceX is permitted only 5 orbital launches/year at BC, my speculation is that location will be for testing and development with a goal of making stage zero work reliably and safely while improving and refining SH and Starship designs. Though the construction of the new Starship factory building at BC leads me to believe that vehicle production will take place there for years to come.

Surely NASA wants to ensure safe operations before it allows Starship launches and recoveries at the stage zero currently being built close to KSC 39A, since that pad is critical for ISS operations. I have read online speculation that SpaceX may try to convince NASA to let it modify SLC-40 to allow for Crew Dragon launches from that pad.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Though the construction of the new Starship factory building at BC leads me to believe that vehicle production will take place there for years to come.
Could they simply fly the BC-manufactured boosters and Starships to the Cape? It's about 1700km, which is somewhat farther than the furthest Falcon 9 booster recovery attempts so far (e.g. 1293km downrange for the Falcon Heavy center core on STP-2) but likely still achievable with minimal payload, if the partially overland trajectory (coming in over Florida) wouldn't cause problems. Would be amazing to see Booster and Starship coming in for a landing in parallel, to dual catch towers! Or even just the booster itself, with a temporary nosecone.

Could they simply fly the BC-manufactured boosters and Starships to the Cape?
That has been discussed before, I believe in this thread, and extensively discussed on the nasaspaceflight.com forum. I don’t believe it is a practical approach. The suborbital landing approach in Florida would be over land, so likely not allowed. And barging the vehicles is not difficult.

That has been discussed before, I believe in this thread, and extensively discussed on the nasaspaceflight.com forum. I don’t believe it is a practical approach. The suborbital landing approach in Florida would be over land, so likely not allowed. And barging the vehicles is not difficult.
A payload-less Starship (or Starship-less booster with nosecone) should have more than enough delta-V to be able to fly over Florida at >100km altitude, then boost back, reenter over the ocean, and land at the Cape. And/or dog-leg around the southern tip of Florida, staying over water the entire way. Barging is "not difficult", but if Elon gets Starship to the reliability and economy of scale he envisions (hundreds of new ships/boosters and thousands of launches per year), the gap would narrow considerably, and perhaps flying would then become the better option than maintaining a large fleet of barges. But agreed this is unlikely to be the case in the short term.

Whenever you see high bay pictures from a NASA funded project, it looks like a sci fi movie set. The SpaceX pictures look like a junkyard in comparison 😂

You're thinking cleanrooms where the payloads are built and tested and integrated onto rockets. Rocket final assembly buildings like the highbays at Starbase are all pretty similar with stuff more seemingly strewn about and a generally less kept feel. Except that nobody beside SX has a boardroom at the top of their highbay. :p

What IS different at Starbase is the rocket production facilities. For instance, Blue's Merritt island facility is a testament to top down engineering a beautiful, spotless machine that builds the machine before actually building the machine. Starbase is the polar opposite--the work is focused on bottoms-up iterating the machine, and concurrently developing in parallel the machine-that-builds-the-machine concepts/processes/equipment...and the environment looks and feels accordingly--step over this, climb over that, perpetual yelling because of the perpetual wind buffeting the tents-on-a-beach, etc.