Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Super Heavy/Starship - General Development Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just below is a shot of the Starlink dispenser mechanism being installed into S25, the next Starship that is being completed. Do we know if a similar mechanism is installed in S24? Below that image are two shots of the Starlink “loader” box that was recently raised up next to S24 for some sort of test (no Starlinks were observed being loaded into S24 as far as I know). Interesting to see the mechanism of the Starlink loader that extends into the Starship.

C70A10EA-D9DF-44AA-9EAB-A1CDDCDE3DE0.jpeg
D666A790-E8F4-4C45-B6CC-BA47F8D3A25F.jpeg
B745DB4B-8DCF-4416-8E5A-6686AC9EF0E5.jpeg

Reactions: EVCollies
Just below is a shot of the Starlink dispenser mechanism being installed into S25, the next Starship that is being completed. Do we know if a similar mechanism is installed in S24? Below that image are two shots of the Starlink “loader” box that was recently raised up next to S24 for some sort of test (no Starlinks were observed being loaded into S24 as far as I know). Interesting to see the mechanism of the Starlink loader that extends into the Starship.

View attachment 823921View attachment 823922View attachment 823923
S24 likely also has (or will have) a rack dispenser system to go with the door; but it would have been installed piece by piece, not as a prebuilt unit.

New photos from SpaceX! Mind blowing. Interesting to see the different static fire wear patterns in the booster Raptor nozzles. And what are those two smaller circular structures between the center three engines and the ring of 10?
They are near the center engines. Elon (I think) has recently said that there is difficulty in the "spark plug/torch igniters" startup process for Raptor (I can't remember where though). If there is an issue, then these could be some sort of smaller engines that are there for the start/restart process. Just a WAG on my part though.

They are near the center engines. Elon (I think) has recently said that there is difficulty in the "spark plug/torch igniters" startup process for Raptor (I can't remember where though). If there is an issue, then these could be some sort of smaller engines that are there for the start/restart process. Just a WAG on my part though.
Okay, with the understanding that you are just tossing out a WAG ;) I don’t understand how a pair of “smaller engines” could be part of the startup/restart process.

I noted that when I enlarged that photo, what looks like two small circles are not in fact circular; they are shaped irregularly to fit into the space between the Raptors.

I’m baffled by them.

EDIT: found this exchange on r/spacex, no one seems to know what they are but some interesting ideas:

35B709DE-A05C-4783-9D8D-59135A814FBC.jpeg

Last edited:
Ullage makes some sense. To re-light the engines in microgravity, you have to push a bit to make the liquids settle to the bottom of the tanks. They could be some sort of rear-facing thrusters. But that's just a guess on my part.
Settling thrusters are needed, but that can also be done by the side mounted RCS quads (quints?).
With autogenous pressurization, I wonder if they can vent through the engines also.
My guess is pressure relief valves in the event of a non staggered engine shutdown situation (last second abort) to avoid water hammer

Here is some of the speculation about those structures, posted at https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=54775.1720
Posted by Slothman: Those "port holes" have been in thrust pucks/bottom domes forever. Not sure if we ever found out what they are for tho. People suggested for draining after cleaning the inside, since there is no other outlet at the lowest point of the tank where liquids/debris from interior work like welding, drilling, cutting etc. would inevitably accumulate
Posted by Herb Schaltegger: It seems like - whatever they are - it looks like they have the same white (ceramic?) coating inside as Raptor engines. I wonder if these are gas ullage thrusters or vents?
Posted by Lars-J: Perhaps they are some sort of emergency drain vents for the two propellants?

Or perhaps they are there for tank pressurization during transport (one for each tank), easy access for the ground transportation crew to allow pressurization and depressurization as needed.
With the caveat that I am most definitely not a rocket scientist, the location of those structures seems an odd place to put some kind of “thruster” as the exhaust would be off-axis and wouldn’t the throat of a thruster be dark? If they are for tank cleanout and drainage, why a pair of them on one side of the three center engines?

Regarding booster “tank pressurization during transport” I though ships and boosters were transported with tanks at ambient. Is that not the case?

With the caveat that I am most definitely not a rocket scientist, the location of those structures seems an odd place to put some kind of “thruster” as the exhaust would be off-axis and wouldn’t the throat of a thruster be dark? If they are for tank cleanout and drainage, why a pair of them on one side of the three center engines?
The upper RCS could correct the off axis issue. If it was a cold gas thruster fed from the tank pressure, there would be no combustion to darken it.

Regarding booster “tank pressurization during transport” I though ships and boosters were transported with tanks at ambient. Is that not the case?
They connect to the normal fueling ports during transport, I believe. It is self supporting when not pressurized, but it's stronger if pressurized.

There are rows of TPS tiles missing from the seams where the main sections of the vehicle are welded together. I assume that is so that the seams can be inspected after pressurization cycles during testing and static fires, and then tiles will be added before launch.

I also assume the lifting points at the top will be removed before launch and the spaces filled in with TPS as needed.

And are those Starlink antennas just below the SpaceX logo?
I don't think so. More likely standard frequency antennas for direct ground link. Shiny side down. F9 booster is sporting Starlink now, but it's apogee and ground speed are much less than Starship.

There are rows of TPS tiles missing from the seams where the main sections of the vehicle are welded together. I assume that is so that the seams can be inspected after pressurization cycles during testing and static fires, and then tiles will be added before launch.

I also assume the lifting points at the top will be removed before launch and the spaces filled in with TPS as needed.
The top row of missing tiles isn't at a pressurized (at least tank) seam. May require hand fitted tiles and mount points and they are waiting to do that. Those are also at bend in the surface which may need custom parts.

Lift points will be cut off once testing is done and ship is positioned for final chop stock lift and stacking. (Of course, could always get welded back on).

Reactions: ecarfan
Latest NSF video shows some B7 pressure testing and another igniter test (without actual ignition). Yesterday S24 was lifted onto the suborbital pad B stand. I cannot even imagine what it would be like to be one of the guys shown in these photos, perched at the edge of the stand with that massive vehicle suspended right next to you so that you can actually reach out and touch the lower edge of the skirt.

2E2397EC-A239-4386-833C-58A802F727FE.png
E00B9AD5-C47D-44BF-BE1D-CF4FB52C5F13.png