Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon wing door and window not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, new to TMC. I have a 2017 MX. About two weeks ago, the driver falcon door main hinge bracket knuckle sheared off, ironically the day after, it was at the Tesla service center getting the upgrade cameras and the first time opening this door since. Basically, they said not their problem. So I decided to replace the hinge myself, BIG MISTAKE.

Before replacing the hinge, the door was operational, the door would pop but could not lift because the main spring was no longer assisting the door. I was able to replace the hinge and get the door back in line. However, while doing this, I accidentally removed a ground. I believe it was to the door control module ECU, see photo for ground location. At the door control module ECU, in the ceiling, there is power to all four legs of the module. This clearly caused a short, and I could hear it making a zapping noise. Since then, my window, door pop, and exterior and interior buttons no longer work. I checked every fuse in the car, under the hood and the driver's side next to the accelerator pedal. I used a multimeter on each fuse to make sure there was 12 volts to each fuse on both testing sides. Still have no luck.

I then decided to take the passenger-side door module ECU that was in the ceiling and replace the driver-side one to see if there was power. The driver's rear door will try to calibrate this way but will not complete the calibration. The door pop, exterior handle, and interior handle do not work, the only way it works is by hitting calibrate on the main screen. When I try to calibrate and when the door closes, but it will pop the passenger door, not the driver door, even tho I have it connected to the driver wiring. I still do not have any power to my window.

I then took the door module out of the passenger door, the one behind the door cover, and put that one in the driver door, with the other good module in the ceiling. Still no luck, and still does the same thing.

Under the service screen, only active error is that falcon wing door needs calibration.

I am at a loss for trying to fix this. I have a service appointment, but that is at the end of December, so I will keep trying to fix it if I can.

I am looking for:
1) any fuses that should be specifically checked for the door and window.
2) The power pinout for the door control module that is in the door, so I can check that one to make sure there is power.
3) What module controls the window, so I can try to roll the window up. The car has to sit outside Tesla when we drop it off the night before and do not want to leave the window down.
4) Any other ideas of what else to check or do.

Please no negative comments, like you should have taken it to Tesla, I already have enough of that from the wife......

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

IMG_1180.jpg
IMG_1179.jpg

First, great job for doing it yourself, I'm sure this will be helpful later for other DYIers.
I'm a bit unclear how u caused short, any more details? ground itself off isn't the issue unless it touched power pins, is that what happen?
Service manuals n schematics/connectors references are free, just sign up on service.tesla.com
There might be a fuse somewhere else but if not, it might have toasted the module, u can probably pick one up on eBay cheap, might need software redeploy (tesla can do it remotely).
Good luck, keep us posted.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Upvote 0