Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Wing Door - Bring it out 1mm on the bottom

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

My passenger-side FWD alignment is ok, but what my OCD can't ignore, is that at the very bottom, it should come outward 1 to maybe 2mm to make it really flush with the rest.
Looking at the "thing" in the sill where the door "grabs" inside the sill (so to speak), I see a recessed metal bracket (red line) which the closure-mechanism in the FWD locks onto.
In my mind, if I could move that bracket 1mm outward, maybe 2mm, the FWD would close 1 to 2mm further out and my goal would have been reached.
I can pull out the cover that half-hides the bolts that hold that bracket in place. It should be easy to adjust.

Has anyone else ever done this? Did it cause the computer to go flippy because the FWD closes a little bit more outward at the bottom? (will do a calibration afterwards of course).

Cheers,
Steve

Attachments

• FalconWingDoor-LatchBracket.jpeg
    FalconWingDoor-LatchBracket.jpeg
    459.8 KB · Views: 247
Okay so I've sorted my FWD's out myself. I used a low-profile ratched and a Torx-40 to loosen the two bolts that secures the bracket-plate. By moving the bracket left and right, one controls the panel-gap on both sides. By moving the plate inward or outward, one controls how flush the FWD will be with the front door and the rear panel.
Long story short, by fiddling around with the plates, moving them tiny amounts, I managed to align both FWD's to absolute perfection. They sit flush with the rest of the body and the panel-gap is perfectly consistent with the front doors and rear panels.

There's a PDF out there that shows all the adjustment points of the FWD. The inner panels have to be removed to access the adjustment points. I believe there are like 6 or 8 adjustable features. I think the difficult part is to support the door while adjustments are made along with lots of trial and error to get the position just right.

Reactions: m5james
One of my fwd has an annoying creaking sound at low speeds around the roof glass. I just noticed one strut looks misaligned, can others check theirs to see if this ‘within spec’? Thanks.

Attachments

• E09230AC-619D-4F51-8E8E-8AE98C1F0E18.jpeg
    E09230AC-619D-4F51-8E8E-8AE98C1F0E18.jpeg
    320.1 KB · Views: 122
Thanks for the link, yura79!!

Has anyone had luck adjusting their door to prevent the rubber seal from touching the glass panel on the roof. My doors overall have great alignment when closed but my drivers FWD touches the glass panel on the roof when it's open, enough so it's left a mark that I've had a hard time removing. I've heard stories of these breaking as well. There's a lot of adjustment points, I'm still reading but hoping for tips learned while doing that specific adjustment.