TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Falcon wing door buckled on glass roof

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Wisco1, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Wisco1

Wisco1 Member

Has anybody had the falcon wings doors open up together and pinch the center piece? I purchased the car two days ago and yesterday I went to open up the doors to show off and the doors both opened at the same time I heard a cracking didn't think anything of it walked over to the door and noticed it had lifted up and cracked the glass in the passenger falcon wing door roof. Car has over 52,000 miles and is a 2016. Spoke to the mobile Tesla repair guy he said it may or may not be covered under warranty from the centerpiece glue lifting up. Has anybody else experienced this issue?

Attached Files:

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 2
  2. BigAirHarper

BigAirHarper Member

Whoa. That’s bad

• Like x 1
  3. DanCar

DanCar Active Member

Did you buy it from Tesla? Is it under warranty?

4. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

There were some threads about the center piece becoming unglued but I don't remember anyone cracking the adjacent glass because of it.

5. Hwood

Hwood Member

It should under warranty if you brought from TESLA.

• Like x 1
  6. George Marley

George Marley Banned

That's falcon ridiculous.

• Funny x 12
    • Like x 1
  7. T.R.T.e.s.l.a.

Ouch! That sucks.
    Hope you can resolve this quickly and under warranty (from Tesla or from whoever it is), of course.

8. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

JB Weld can fix the center panel adhesive issue, but Tesla needs to fix that glass. Return the car if they play games, the SC guys seem to get bonuses not to pay any warranty claims these days.

• Like x 2
  9. Kentucky3

Kentucky3 Member

If you didn't buy from Tesla, did you check the CarFax for any prior damage/accidents? Clean title?

• Like x 1
  10. dstasse

dstasse Member

11. dstasse

dstasse Member

Hope that's not something I have to look forward to in four years., i.e. did it take that long for the FWD to work their way out of alignment? I'm sure it wasn't the first time in it's history both doors were opened together. Just bought mine in '19, so far no issues with them, but i read the FWD are trouble. Good luck getting the issue resolved.

• Like x 2
  12. JC 3s wild

JC 3s wild New Member

Take it back right away do not waste any time.
    Most States have a cooling time.
    Good luck.

• Like x 2
  13. SoCalTezla

SoCalTezla Member

Please keep us updated on this. Good luck

14. Terryaki

Terryaki Member

Yeah, that's right, advocate freaking the hell out about it without knowing the full story of what's going on.

• Like x 1
  15. Dben

Dben New Member

16. Dben

Dben New Member

Where did you buy? That's an important clue to know. I am so sorry that happened to you and now my falcon wings will not be opened at the same time....ever! Where do I get that million mile battery? I'd drive to Texas to visit from CA, if I could have that installed in my 2017 "X".

17. Dondix

Dondix Member

I know you're thinking that you're funny, but this is inappropriate reply.

• Disagree x 3
    • Like x 2
  18. DS369

DS369 Member

A bit of observation/speculation: I wonder if this is the problem that arises over time if you use falcon doors a lot. I'm not surprised that Tesla didn't test for longevity. I assume this car 2016-2017? Door were probably pulled down a lot manually or something like that (of even just normal use) which made the mount point and surrounding structure weaker. I hope you won't go the route of that guy on youtube that got his car damaged by towing company that Tesla recommended and later refused to cover the damage. Some Tesla employees should not be working in Tesla, but in a used car dealership in some dumptown. It's hurting the "falcon" business.

• Like x 1
  19. FreshPrince

FreshPrince Member

Have this car been in an accident before?

20. Janus

Janus Member

Being that it's used, it makes me wonder what the vehicle history is... I.e. did something recently happen to it (like an accident), that a repair didn't properly fix? You might need to have a less-than-pleasant conversation with whomever sold you the MX. You might also want to look into hiring a lawyer to discuss what legal remedies might be available in your state.