Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon wing door buckled on glass roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody had the falcon wings doors open up together and pinch the center piece? I purchased the car two days ago and yesterday I went to open up the doors to show off and the doors both opened at the same time I heard a cracking didn't think anything of it walked over to the door and noticed it had lifted up and cracked the glass in the passenger falcon wing door roof. Car has over 52,000 miles and is a 2016. Spoke to the mobile Tesla repair guy he said it may or may not be covered under warranty from the centerpiece glue lifting up. Has anybody else experienced this issue?
I just had the same thing happen, My car has no accident history. It was about 100 degrees, opened driver side gull door and it cracked the glass above. I had the recall to re-gl;ue the appliqué in the center spine. My assessment is in the heat the appliqué and glass raised up and caught the door when it went up, cracking the glass. Tesla estimate repair 2400$. I have an extended Tesla warranty but they have initially refused to cover it (Centinela Ave Tesla in Los Angeles) but I am waiting for the SA to discuss with the manager. I had the recall in December 2020, 9 months ago where they reapplied the appliqué. My analysis is that the heat warped (either temporarily or permanently) the side of the glass and it catches the frame of the gull door glass. Maybe we have to look at our roofs before opening the door but I've had zero issues in the past. I think it's the heat that weakens the attachment. Anyway, I paid over 5K for an extended warranty, hope they can use it for this easy but expensive repair.

YES!! This just happened to me yesterday. The entire roof between the doors cracked and it's a total mess. TESLA X is not built to last. I"m not under warranty. Can't imagine how much this will end up costing. Many thousands no doubt.

Has anybody had the falcon wings doors open up together and pinch the center piece? I purchased the car two days ago and yesterday I went to open up the doors to show off and the doors both opened at the same time I heard a cracking didn't think anything of it walked over to the door and noticed it had lifted up and cracked the glass in the passenger falcon wing door roof. Car has over 52,000 miles and is a 2016. Spoke to the mobile Tesla repair guy he said it may or may not be covered under warranty from the centerpiece glue lifting up. Has anybody else experienced this issue?
YES! This exact same thing just happened to me yesterday. The entire roof between the falcon wing doors cracked. It's a mess. What a piece of over-engineered junk. This is about the millionth problem I've had with this car. Fun to drive, but a real pain to deal with all the problems.

I just had the same thing happen, My car has no accident history. It was about 100 degrees, opened driver side gull door and it cracked the glass above. I had the recall to re-gl;ue the appliqué in the center spine. My assessment is in the heat the appliqué and glass raised up and caught the door when it went up, cracking the glass. Tesla estimate repair 2400$. I have an extended Tesla warranty but they have initially refused to cover it (Centinela Ave Tesla in Los Angeles) but I am waiting for the SA to discuss with the manager. I had the recall in December 2020, 9 months ago where they reapplied the appliqué. My analysis is that the heat warped (either temporarily or permanently) the side of the glass and it catches the frame of the gull door glass. Maybe we have to look at our roofs before opening the door but I've had zero issues in the past. I think it's the heat that weakens the attachment. Anyway, I paid over 5K for an extended warranty, hope they can use it for this easy but expensive repair.

Who is your warranty provider, Tesla or a third party company like XCare? Did it ultimately get covered?

2016 MX 90D - passenger side of my falcon wing just started doing this a couple of weeks ago. When opening the door the front corner is clipping the middle panel which is slightly raised now. If I can avoid another SC visit - I definitely would like to. I’ve never owned a car with so many problems - I’m in the SC every 4-6 months.