Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Wing Door false obstacle detection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
we are seeing intermittent and unpredictable FWD issues.
My wife drives the X with the kids all day running errands and such and says the FWD detect false obstacles and need overriding somewhere on the order of 2-3 times for every 10 times they open or close.
I'm experiencing the same thing and cannot understand or see what stops these doors from opening properly every time.
We have car seats in both middle row seats and these doors are used about 5-8 times a day to put kids in and out of the car. So it's a safe bet we need to override them to open or close fully at least once a day.
Maybe I'm over estimating the false obstacle detection but it sure feels like it happens every day if not every other day.

We have a 49xx vin with a May build.
Anyone else experiencing intermittent issues with FWD sensors?

I feel like it occurs more on closing then opening. Often we have to walk away from the car watching the wings close to be sure we don't need to walk back to the car and override the stoppage. Which we sometimes have to.

Weird. As far as I know, the FWDs don't have sensors on the interior to check for obstructions when closing. It might be a resistance thing.
It is, for closing. At least as far as this forum knows, and what Tesla has told us. I had this problem with my X closing the passenger side falcon. It occurred nearly every closure, but since I did a full cleaning and detail (including inside of the doors) it seems to have stopped. It doesn't make much sense because it's not like I cleaned out chunks of rocks. But so far, so good. I suggest trying to "assist" the door down and see if you can keep it from occurring. At least then you'd know it was resistance-based. Also, email your service center...

It is, for closing. At least as far as this forum knows, and what Tesla has told us. I had this problem with my X closing the passenger side falcon. It occurred nearly every closure, but since I did a full cleaning and detail (including inside of the doors) it seems to have stopped. It doesn't make much sense because it's not like I cleaned out chunks of rocks. But so far, so good. I suggest trying to "assist" the door down and see if you can keep it from occurring. At least then you'd know it was resistance-based. Also, email your service center...
Thanks @ohmman! Can you clarify what you mean by "assist" the door down. Are you saying I apply pressure to guide it down when it stops? BTW how did you go about cleaning inside the doors?

I've had the same problem 4 or 5 times in the past month: a FWD will stop opening after getting about halfway open, even though there is nothing near it or above it, and pressing the open button repeatedly won't make it go higher.

I also started hearing a loud metallic click/thud from the passenger-side FWD hinge area where it attaches to the roof every time I close it, about 1/4 to 1/2 second after it starts closing from a fully open position.

• Informative
Reactions: EV Family
I had the same issue with my doors...The SC installed new sensors and it works much better now...still see it perhaps once every couple dozen door openings but it used to occur 20% of the time...

Concern: Customer states: Falcon door sensors won't open and detecting objects there as if
something is in the way but nothing is present. Special ordered part in stock.

Corrections: Sensor - Ultrasonic - Rear Door - LH

Perform function test, verified improper operation. Performed function test while testing
actual values, found distance readings fluctuating for no reason. Requires replacement of
ultrasonic sensor. Replaced ultrasonic sensor. Performed function test after repair, confirm
repairs. System functions as designed.

Part Quantity

SENSOR, ULTRASONIC,
RADIAL,COUPLING TAPE (1055890-00-D)

• Informative
Reactions: engle and EV Family
Thanks @ohmman! Can you clarify what you mean by "assist" the door down. Are you saying I apply pressure to guide it down when it stops? BTW how did you go about cleaning inside the doors?
Yeah, I just meant pushing gently down while closing to see if it still complains of obstacles. The idea being that if there was some minor hangup in the mechanism, this would be enough to overcome that. I don't know how much it really accomplishes except letting you know it's resistance based instead of an actual proximity sensor issue.

Cleaning the doors. I used my shop-vac to suck a lot of loose dirt/dust from the jamb. I also peeled back that weird rubber grommet that hides the roof/door hinge and suctioned in there as well. Who knows if it helped.. haven't seen another stop yet but that doesn't mean much.

• Informative
Reactions: engle and EV Family
Yeah, I just meant pushing gently down while closing to see if it still complains of obstacles. The idea being that if there was some minor hangup in the mechanism, this would be enough to overcome that. I don't know how much it really accomplishes except letting you know it's resistance based instead of an actual proximity sensor issue.

Cleaning the doors. I used my shop-vac to suck a lot of loose dirt/dust from the jamb. I also peeled back that weird rubber grommet that hides the roof/door hinge and suctioned in there as well. Who knows if it helped.. haven't seen another stop yet but that doesn't mean much.

Wonderful thanks! Yeah there's definitely a lot of fine dirt/dust in the door jamb but like you said nothing like rocks...its just a dusting of dirt. :)

I had the same issue with my doors...The SC installed new sensors and it works much better now...still see it perhaps once every couple dozen door openings but it used to occur 20% of the time...

Concern: Customer states: Falcon door sensors won't open and detecting objects there as if

Perform function test, verified improper operation. Performed function test while testing
actual values, found distance readings fluctuating for no reason. Requires replacement of
ultrasonic sensor. Replaced ultrasonic sensor. Performed function test after repair, confirm

Part Quantity

SENSOR, ULTRASONIC,
Great insight!
Thanks

Part Quantity

SENSOR, ULTRASONIC,
I'm curious is this confined to just 1 of your fwd or do both still behave as such upon closing from time to time?
My passenger side fwd has never stopped short when closing, but again my driver side fwd fails to shut about 30% of the time unless I override.

I have a X from May and I'm experiencing this phantom objection detection as well on my Falcon door. I'm bringing my X into service on Mon and it's on the punch list to be addressed. I suspect it's a faulty sensor as well.
Does yours mostly occur when closing the door as well? Glad to hear I'm not alone. Please do post and tag me here once you hear back.
Two weeks ago I was able to get an appointment for 2 weeks from now here in ATL. :-(

interesting. I've been having the 'stopping while closing' issue the last few days also. No issues with opening though. It happened only once or twice in the first month of ownership but in the last week it's happened about five or six times alone. In fact once I left the car and came back to it 10 minutes later to see the door hadn't fully closed! I was beginning to think it was sensors also.

I'm on a trip now but will see if it continues once I'm back. And if so, will take it into the svc center.

I have the same issue, FWD would stop when it's closing as if it detects some interference (there are none). Only happens to one FWD so I know something is defective, and only happens on the way down. I am about to call SC but have been waiting to see if I experiencing more/other issues....

• Helpful
Reactions: EV Family
I have the same issue, FWD would stop when it's closing as if it detects some interference (there are none). Only happens to one FWD so I know something is defective, and only happens on the way down. I am about to call SC but have been waiting to see if I experiencing more/other issues....

You should bring it in anyway. Last thing u want happen is when you are outside and find that you cant close the door like in my case. Doesnt hurt to get it checked out just in case.

So as I mentioned I was having this issue recently a lot also. Getting the 'obstruction detected' on closing when there was no obstruction.

I've been on vacation out of town and finally am back today. Both FWDs were doing this still and doing it persistently. It would take either force closing from inside console or from outside multiple presses to close each door.

I tried rebooting the console and so far (touches wood) this has made the issue go away. I had forgotten to try that earlier. I recall in the earlier days with my S I'd have to do an occasionally reboot. But hadn't had to do that much later in ownership. So got out of practice. I guess with the X I should remember to do that occasionally.

Just had this happen 3 times today with no actual obstruction. Also ghost vehicle collision warnings, so I turned CAW off completely for now. Time to call the SC again...

interesting. I've been having the 'stopping while closing' issue the last few days also. No issues with opening though. It happened only once or twice in the first month of ownership but in the last week it's happened about five or six times alone. In fact once I left the car and came back to it 10 minutes later to see the door hadn't fully closed! I was beginning to think it was sensors also.

I'm on a trip now but will see if it continues once I'm back. And if so, will take it into the svc center.