Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Wing Door fault with heat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
is this issue happening with a certain darker colors of the X (i.e. black) because of the increased heat retention?

This is really a non issue on newer cars .i spent weekend at my house in SoCal desert where temps were around 109 ..doors worked fine ..the new FWD fixes seems to have improved on a lot of the issues from earlier cars

What do you class as a newer car and what are the new FWD fixes?

Mid 2017 onwards there were some FWD fixes ...mine with fine and I have PPF and ceramic coatings ...there is a separate thread can’t seem to find that listed out the fixes there were some mechanical as well as software fixes ...search for Member Outie his had the fixes if I recall

Mid 2017 onwards there were some FWD fixes ...mine with fine and I have PPF and ceramic coatings ...there is a separate thread can’t seem to find that listed out the fixes there were some mechanical as well as software fixes ...search for Member Outie his had the fixes if I recall
Outie’s car ended up being repurchased by Tesla as they have no solution for the issue after 6 attempts with field engineers checking out the car.

Having the exact problem with our 2018 ModelX FWD. It’s been 4 times that the SC has attempted to fix it.
Every time the doors start ‘detecting obstacles’ when the car is parked in the sun and the temperature is above 80 degrees!!!
Really frustrating.

They have fixed many things about the FWDs over the years. Most recently, I noticed the new builds actually have some new rubber on the FWD itself and the frame of the vehicle has some stamping/shape changes - I think these changes were made to avoid the paint rubbing that many of us experience.

That said, I experienced this for the first time in the Seattle heat wave last week. I do think it’s the darker colors that are more susceptible and it does have to be a certain set of conditions to trigger it, but it’s definitely something that would suck if I lived in SoCal. I expect it won’t be too much of a problem in the Pacific NW. :)

Interesting. @WingX When in 2018 did you get your car? My OA told me that they changed the sensor manufacturer and that should have helped this issue. I believe he said the new part was manufactured and put onto the production line in July. If your car was manufactured July+, maybe it's fine? I don't know about before that date, but maybe if the SC replaces the sensors with the new one, it would work? Though, I seem to recall that the manufacturer of the door was changed, not just the sensor.

Knock on wood, but I haven't had this issue and I've been in 100+ degree Texas summer. I don't always park outside, but I have a bit for the past week and I haven't seen any issues.

I was at the SC last week for this issue. They've told me that it is considered normal operation for the FWD sensors to fail when they heat above 110 degrees, such as sitting in the sun. They also said that darker colors experience the problem more often and that the driver's door seems worse. They're going to install a larger butyl patch which may help dissipate heat. Interestingly enough, they consider the butyl patch a goodwill issue, not an official Tesla warranty fix.

It's pretty clear from their response that if the butyl patch doesn't work, they're not going to try anything else. If the problem isn't improved, I may try an executive escalation, but I'm not sure if there is a real fix. Some people obviously don't have the problem, but it could be some perfect combination of metal thickness, paint, adhesive and sensor tolerance that makes them work or fail.

I could probably lemon the car if they can't fix it, but I like the car and even if they did buy it back, I'm unlikely to find another P100D inventory to replace it for the buyback.

Concern: Customer: States the left Falcon Door will detect false objects after sitting in the
sun.
Pay Type: Goodwill - Service
Corrections: Sensors General Diagnosis
Tested both falcon wing doors and found the ultrasonic sensors and carriers are working
as expected. After reaching a surface temp of roughly 110+ degrees the door panel will
become heat soaked and does not allow for proper sensing of the sensor. This is similar
to heat soaking an iPhone and it not functioning temporarily until it comes back within
operating temps. When operating the vehicle outside of the sensors operating
temperatures it will require you to override the falcon wing doors on the touchscreen or on
the B-pillar switch. To attempt to provide a wider heat range of the ultrasonic sensor we
are going to install a new/bigger butyl patch. Once the door panel cools off and the
temperature comes down the sensor will again work as expected not requiring you to
manually open/close the door.