TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Falcon Wing Door Glass Seal deteriorating

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Axtrader, May 26, 2019.

1. Axtrader

Axtrader Member

BA5B9B4E-A73E-4504-8C93-F8ABD00650B5.jpeg

We own a Dec 2017 build MX100D and recently had both top Falcon Wing Door glass panels replaced. These glass panels have the rubber seals integrated around the edges and are a single part number (glass and seal). After a year of ownership, the rubber seals started deteriorating and became a tar-like oily mess which would streak black tar when wiped clean. Our service center said these windows have gone through 5 different revisions over the years. The picture above is a random MX I saw in a parking lot today with the same problems I had. Has anyone else had problems with their Falcon Wing Door Glass seals deteriorating?

2. Axtrader

Axtrader Member

0FD50D7A-7122-4FC2-883E-365E212D4F0B.jpeg
    Pic of our right FWD glass seal deteriorating

3. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Is your X parked outside ? I’m in SD as well mine don’t look like that ..I also live part time in Indian Wells and even in heat my seals look good ..mine is Jan 2018 so about same as yours

4. Axtrader

Axtrader Member

We have the MX parked outside but was hoping the seal would last much longer than a year in San Diego

5. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

I did put some gummi Pflege on mine as in desert I’m parked outside ..in SD it’s garaged so far my seals look new

6. Grazant

Grazant Member

Guessing this is still an issue with 2019 Model X too? Gummi Pfledge is a good idea

7. CFrolander

CFrolander Member

I had a May 2017 Model X that had this same issue. they replaced it under warranty no issues though

8. Hilbe

Hilbe Member

I had both mine replaced back in March. 2016 90D unicorn.

9. Axtrader

Axtrader Member

839E7241-0BAD-4CEA-85FB-A5BC9D924BF7.jpeg
    Thanks folks! Is this the stuff that you are recommending and what the pros use to condition seals? I see that Sonax has a version on Amazon too. Thanks again!

10. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Yep they make different variations but works great

• Like x 1
  11. Erie Electric

Erie Electric Member

I picked up a used 2016 P90D CPO last month and took delivery at the Wexford PA service center.

It was a California car with only 11,000 miles. During my inspection I noticed these worn out deteriorated seals in the roof seams in a car that was otherwise in absolutely perfect condition. As soon as I mentioned it they told me to go see the Service Advisor. I drove it around the building to the service desk and they told me immediately this was only a cosmetic issue and was not covered by warranty. They said there is no chance of water leakage.

You could tell they were ready for me and were standing their ground. I asked the Service Advisor to quote me a price to replace them. He looked at me like I was from the moon. I asked again. He took a picture of my VIN number and said I would have a quote sent to me. That was over a month ago.

These deteriorated seals make the roof look like it was put together by amateurs. But I guess it was.

12. PlayaVista

PlayaVista Member

My vehicle is from Dec 2017 but also out of warranty. The cost to replace is $2500 for the parts (glass and seal) alone!

13. csriram45

csriram45 Member

Interesting, I just brought this issue as well to my seal on my X that I picked up 2 weeks ago. They said its standard wear and tear and I said I don't think I can take that as an answer when I just bought it and I fear it will leak water. Now that I know its gonna be a huge cost to fix, I should push on it to be fixed as later they may just not do it.

14. V1VrV2

V1VrV2 Member

I had a loaner 2016 MX P90D Signature from the Denver (Evans Ave) SC earlier this week and noticed the same thing. It looked horrible and the car only had 21k miles on it. Hopefully, my Raven holds up better but the recommendation on the Gummi Pfledge seems like a good preventative measure.

[​IMG]

15. PlayaVista

PlayaVista Member

My service advisor first said it was due to chemicals perhaps acids in car wash. In two years I regularly hand wash using two buckets using mild detergents and maybe commercial wash just a few times. As a result, I highly doubt this is just to me and my car wash's chemical composition.