Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Wing Door Glass Seal deteriorating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our Model X from Mid 2018 had a one of the seals on the left FWD worn out upon delivery. They repaired it under warranty when we brought the car back in a week later to correct some of the other issues. They said they replaced both the seal and the glass.

• Informative
Reactions: dogldogl
The service center has told me this week that there was a change to the warranty. Apparently this was never covered under warranty. Previously they allowed the service centers to choose to replace the windows with the deteriorating seals under good will. Now apparently the warranty says even a good will replacement is not allowed.

There is a new revision as of February 2020.

In late Feb 2020, I picked up a MX made in Oct 2016, and the whole car (to include the glass roof seals) was in great shape. So far, very happy with my purchase. When looking through the used MXs on the website, I saw many with the same deteriorating seals. The pics of my car showed the seals to be in good shape, and when I picked up the car in Paramus, NJ, they turned out to be exactly as pictured. So far, so good for me. I garage mine at night and when I'm home during the day, but it's parked in an open parking lot M-F in the sun. Fingers crossed.

Neither of our two Model Xs have had this problem (Sep '17 & Jun '18). They are both garaged, but my 2017 has over 41,000 miles on it and would have had significantly more if not for COVID-19. Maybe it's actually a good thing I haven't washed them much?