Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Wing Door Glass Seal deteriorating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BA5B9B4E-A73E-4504-8C93-F8ABD00650B5.jpeg

We own a Dec 2017 build MX100D and recently had both top Falcon Wing Door glass panels replaced. These glass panels have the rubber seals integrated around the edges and are a single part number (glass and seal). After a year of ownership, the rubber seals started deteriorating and became a tar-like oily mess which would streak black tar when wiped clean. Our service center said these windows have gone through 5 different revisions over the years. The picture above is a random MX I saw in a parking lot today with the same problems I had. Has anyone else had problems with their Falcon Wing Door Glass seals deteriorating?

Is your X parked outside ? I’m in SD as well mine don’t look like that ..I also live part time in Indian Wells and even in heat my seals look good ..mine is Jan 2018 so about same as yours

I picked up a used 2016 P90D CPO last month and took delivery at the Wexford PA service center.

It was a California car with only 11,000 miles. During my inspection I noticed these worn out deteriorated seals in the roof seams in a car that was otherwise in absolutely perfect condition. As soon as I mentioned it they told me to go see the Service Advisor. I drove it around the building to the service desk and they told me immediately this was only a cosmetic issue and was not covered by warranty. They said there is no chance of water leakage.

You could tell they were ready for me and were standing their ground. I asked the Service Advisor to quote me a price to replace them. He looked at me like I was from the moon. I asked again. He took a picture of my VIN number and said I would have a quote sent to me. That was over a month ago.

These deteriorated seals make the roof look like it was put together by amateurs. But I guess it was.

Reactions: Dcam
I picked up a used 2016 P90D CPO last month and took delivery at the Wexford PA service center.

It was a California car with only 11,000 miles. During my inspection I noticed these worn out deteriorated seals in the roof seams in a car that was otherwise in absolutely perfect condition. As soon as I mentioned it they told me to go see the Service Advisor. I drove it around the building to the service desk and they told me immediately this was only a cosmetic issue and was not covered by warranty. They said there is no chance of water leakage.

You could tell they were ready for me and were standing their ground. I asked the Service Advisor to quote me a price to replace them. He looked at me like I was from the moon. I asked again. He took a picture of my VIN number and said I would have a quote sent to me. That was over a month ago.

These deteriorated seals make the roof look like it was put together by amateurs. But I guess it was.

Interesting, I just brought this issue as well to my seal on my X that I picked up 2 weeks ago. They said its standard wear and tear and I said I don't think I can take that as an answer when I just bought it and I fear it will leak water. Now that I know its gonna be a huge cost to fix, I should push on it to be fixed as later they may just not do it.

• Disagree
Reactions: EL0NTRK
I had a loaner 2016 MX P90D Signature from the Denver (Evans Ave) SC earlier this week and noticed the same thing. It looked horrible and the car only had 21k miles on it. Hopefully, my Raven holds up better but the recommendation on the Gummi Pfledge seems like a good preventative measure.

bpwbUjq.jpg

Just cosmetic eh? I was definitely not going to to spend $2500 to replace something that is cosmetic but was thinking about ways to install or find something that does rubber trim so it would both prevent rain intrusion and not look ghetto. However, if just cosmetic I may just trim them with x-acto and leave them alone.