Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Wing Door Glass Seal deteriorating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have the same seal rotting on my 16MX and they said it was cosmetic however I have serious water intrusion into the car so next week they are going to do a water test and see where it’s coming from and hopefully it is truly cosmetic and it actually my door seal going bad from being compressed... 400$ out the door for the seals with labor or 2500$ For both glasses and labor lol

has anyone successfully been able to replace it under warranty in the last 6 months? If so, how do you go about it or what verbiage to say to get it replaced?
I needed some service on my X last Friday and, during check in, out curiosity asked 2 service advisors if the seals on FWD, if deteriorated, would be covered under warranty, specifically pointed to the seals - both said yes, (they knew what they were talking about too as both mentioned that the entire top glass gets replaced). So, I'm not sure why some having hard time replacing these, should be covered by warranty.

Reactions: 127.0.0.0
UPDATE: I won arbitration with Tesla and they were ordered to repair failing seals under warranty. I was told by arbitration coordinator that Tesla will contact me within 30 days to arrange repair. We shall see.

How did you start this process? The trim on my wife's 3 is discolored, tesla blames us, (their standard MO). I'm thinking we need this to force their hand. Making a crappy part is one thing. Not fixing it really irks me.

How did you start this process? The trim on my wife's 3 is discolored, tesla blames us, (their standard MO). I'm thinking we need this to force their hand. Making a crappy part is one thing. Not fixing it really irks me.
1619815318371.jpeg

This has been such a headache of an issue for me and my X. 2017 P100D, both top seals are horrible, and most has rubbed away.

I made a service request for this issue mid-Dec, and was invoiced $2400. I got local service on the phone and explained that this clearly is a warranty issue, and also referenced several threads about it. They replied stating it wasn't it's cosmetic and there was nothing they could do. Unwilling to fork out $2400 on this, I 'forget' about it for the time being.

Early Jan, I have another issue w/ the car, and have mobile tech come out to replace my charging port. He visibly inspects the car and tells me without a doubt, 100% that the FWD seals are covered under warranty. He takes my number and assures me he will call me and help setup an appt to replace. Never heard from him again.

Fast forward to May 2nd, tons of rain, waiting in car, and drip drip I hear. crawl into the back of the cabin, and both sides are leaking. Take photos, send another request, and receive next business day an email stating they've ordered both top glass pieces. (have yet to have the work done)

SUPER FRUSTRATING for a $140k car, first to look like it has, but then to have to wait until visibly water is entering the vehicle, to get their attention. And on top to have an experienced service technician (who normally just works IN the shop) tell me that it is fully covered and was a bit surprised I told him I was having an issue getting it taken care of. The tech is awesome, the vision is great, the customer service is worse than being treated by a low end dealership.

My seals are deteriorating. I had service scheduled for this week so I brought up this topic via the back-and-forth messaging in the Tesla app (still not sure if i love or hate this aspect of the service?). The service center made me answer so many questions to identify what I was talking about that they seemed ignorant, or feigning ignorance.. They did eventually declare that the seals were integral to the glass panels themselves. Based on information I've gotten here, I didn't even bother to have them quote me a cost for replacing them. I will ask about it one more time when I drop it off and talk to an actual live person... I am out of warranty either way, so I don't feel entitled to anything and I'm not going to pitch a fit about this, but engineering-wise, including two materials with vastly different weathering/aging properties in the same component is a pretty preposterous design choice and it's not a good look to make the customer pay for the consequences of this dubious decision.

Reactions: 5JMJ
My seals are deteriorating. I had service scheduled for this week so I brought up this topic via the back-and-forth messaging in the Tesla app (still not sure if i love or hate this aspect of the service?). The service center made me answer so many questions to identify what I was talking about that they seemed ignorant, or feigning ignorance.. They did eventually declare that the seals were integral to the glass panels themselves. Based on information I've gotten here, I didn't even bother to have them quote me a cost for replacing them. I will ask about it one more time when I drop it off and talk to an actual live person... I am out of warranty either way, so I don't feel entitled to anything and I'm not going to pitch a fit about this, but engineering-wise, including two materials with vastly different weathering/aging properties in the same component is a pretty preposterous design choice and it's not a good look to make the customer pay for the consequences of this dubious decision.
An 'oversight' but within allowable spec :rolleyes:. Speed to market doesn't usually benefit the consumer in the long run.

"Within Spec". Love it. That 3.5° negative camber on the rear wheels? Sorry you're burning through so many tires, but hey it's "within spec". (Of course it better be since you can't adjust it.) Maintenance issues as a result of bad engineering? Just redefine the specifications so it's "normal" and *poof* warranty issues go away...

Don't get me wrong, the car is a miracle and I'm a totally satisfied customer, but yeah, definitely annoying...

Reactions: 5JMJ
This is simply the result of inadequate testing up front in the rush to bring the car to the market. That or poor QC.
They are on at least version 5 of these glass panels so it has taken a while to get these seals right... long after the initial rollout of the MX. My second set of glass replacements installed in the last six months are holding up well... so far.

Reactions: 127.0.0.0
"Within Spec". Love it. That 3.5° negative camber on the rear wheels? Sorry you're burning through so many tires, but hey it's "within spec". (Of course it better be since you can't adjust it.) Maintenance issues as a result of bad engineering? Just redefine the specifications so it's "normal" and *poof* warranty issues go away...

Don't get me wrong, the car is a miracle and I'm a totally satisfied customer, but yeah, definitely annoying...
Within spec is a horrible word used by service. They won’t even disclose the spec information because it is such a wide spec it’s embarrassing. Had to make it my cars name haha

Attachments

• F4900C76-4D2A-44A4-B520-E5BC89A56199.jpeg
    F4900C76-4D2A-44A4-B520-E5BC89A56199.jpeg
    224.5 KB · Views: 112