Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Wing Door Glass Seal deteriorating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
any new updates from people's experience with warranty replacement in 2021?

mine are going bad as well
I have an appointment at my service center for this in a little over a weeks time. No word yet if it’s being covered under warranty or not. Bought the X used from Tesla two weeks ago. Still haven’t received the initial write up from service for the work to be approved.

Reactions: 127.0.0.0
I just finally had mine replaced. I've posted several times in this thread about my saga.

After sending photos showing the car/doors taking IN water while closed, they replaced the FWD windows under warranty.

Not sure how a cosmetic issue with "dust seals", allowed water in the car.

Either way I'm happy I didn't fork out $2250 for this, it clearly is a warranty issue, and the fact that half the SC do the job for free, is just frustrating. I had to open 3 different service requests to get this handled.

Service done at service center in Austin.

I just finally had mine replaced. I've posted several times in this thread about my saga.

After sending photos showing the car/doors taking IN water while closed, they replaced the FWD windows under warranty.

Not sure how a cosmetic issue with "dust seals", allowed water in the car.

Either way I'm happy I didn't fork out $2250 for this, it clearly is a warranty issue, and the fact that half the SC do the job for free, is just frustrating. I had to open 3 different service requests to get this handled.

Service done at service center in Austin.
Good to know... I'm down in Canyon Lake and usually get mine serviced at the San Antonio center. If I am unable to get it under warranty there, then I may take it up to Austin and get their opinion.

Amazon.com
Please use this on your seals, for any cars, it's freaking awesome.
I have followed this subject for some time and got the

Chemours Krytox GPL105​

and have found it (at least in my experience of applying it a few times) does not do much good if the seals are already smearing and soft, and falling apart. It is probably better to pretreat the seals before they start getting gooey.

I have just resorted to cutting the gooey end parts of the seals off and then retreating the good part that has not deterioriated.

July 2018 Model X 100D
usually garaged and not left out in the open
located inland from the SF Bay Area

Reactions: 127.0.0.0
I'm at a service center now trying to get my weather stripping replaced and they said is $2200 since they aren't covered under warranty. They too told me to just cut it off but it may let in some noise but wouldn't let water in.

Did anyone here cut them off? Can you post pics?

Or did anyone email corporate and escalate the issue since some people had it covered and some didn't?

Reactions: MX29
I'm at a service center now trying to get my weather stripping replaced and they said is $2200 since they aren't covered under warranty. They too told me to just cut it off but it may let in some noise but wouldn't let water in.

Or did anyone email corporate and escalate the issue since some people had it covered and some didn't?
I recommend going the dispute route, or read between the lines below.

For myself they wouldn't budge, and wasn't until I had photos / videos of the doors leaking and taking on a lot of water. Only then, did these non-essential dust seals get replaced. Ironically, on my invoice, there are no other parts mentioned, other than the 2 FWD top windows.

SO these dust seals can cause the car to take on water..... BUT are not important, and not covered under warranty. because they're only dust seals.... ?

Despite my previous attempts to have this part covered under warranty, and the presumed documentation under my profile at the SC, these were replaced without question or requet.

Here are the requested pictures. I had applied some of the suggested treatments to the rubber but by the time they start getting gooey and start coming off on rags, your clothing and skin, it probably is too late. So I took a sharp knife blade and very clumsily cut off the gooey parts back to good rubber, just a very small amount, so my clothes and rags don't get stained by the old rubber. So far, no leaks or problems but I might go back to the Service Center and ask a quote to replace the seals... just for my knowledge.

Attachments

• IMG_2890.JPG
    IMG_2890.JPG
    463.1 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_2893.JPG
    IMG_2893.JPG
    406.9 KB · Views: 235
  • Informative
Reactions: Harvey Danger
Here are the requested pictures. I had applied some of the suggested treatments to the rubber but by the time they start getting gooey and start coming off on rags, your clothing and skin, it probably is too late. So I took a sharp knife blade and very clumsily cut off the gooey parts back to good rubber, just a very small amount, so my clothes and rags don't get stained by the old rubber. So far, no leaks or problems but I might go back to the Service Center and ask a quote to replace the seals... just for my knowledge.
Thanks MBP11, I just had a quote to replace the seals and it was 2300 to replace both pieces of FWD glass.

I recommend going the dispute route, or read between the lines below.

For myself they wouldn't budge, and wasn't until I had photos / videos of the doors leaking and taking on a lot of water. Only then, did these non-essential dust seals get replaced. Ironically, on my invoice, there are no other parts mentioned, other than the 2 FWD top windows.

SO these dust seals can cause the car to take on water..... BUT are not important, and not covered under warranty. because they're only dust seals.... ?

Despite my previous attempts to have this part covered under warranty, and the presumed documentation under my profile at the SC, these were replaced without question or requet.
thanks WinterX. I'm bout to go through Arbitration route. Thank you again!

Reactions: WinterX
Jmac3000...and others...
please tell us how the arbitration process went.
What evidence did you submit?
What was Tesla's response?
What was the outcome of the arbitration?

It is pretty sad when a $100,000 car (I have a 2018) literally melts in the sun.
Shame, shame, shame on Tesla.

Looking forward to hearing from you and others who have gone through the arbitration process over the melting "wind seals" on the FWDs....

Pictures of the Falcon door from a 2017 X 100D. Is this a reason not to buy this particular Tesla. Any and all comments are welcome.

Attachments

• 43825A64-ACF6-426B-85BD-F970BE35C395.jpeg
    43825A64-ACF6-426B-85BD-F970BE35C395.jpeg
    193.4 KB · Views: 204
  • E20481D5-E0EF-4DA2-B7C2-B8D0C8D0F0FF.jpeg
    E20481D5-E0EF-4DA2-B7C2-B8D0C8D0F0FF.jpeg
    191.7 KB · Views: 193
  • CA3B5ECA-D1B9-419F-8377-3DB1A403CF9D.jpeg
    CA3B5ECA-D1B9-419F-8377-3DB1A403CF9D.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 202
Is it possible that this seal issue is from using a product like Rain-X? Not trying to shift blame or anything, but it would be good to know if it was a common factor among cars with melted seals.
I never used anything but car shampoo yet still seals deteriorated about 2 years into ownership and got replaced (under warranty)

Tesla just replaced both of mine under the warranty. My originals were manufactured 9/19/2019 according to the tag on the removed glass. Process was easy, sent pictures through the app when scheduling service. They sent a mobile tech a week later (yesterday) who replaced both in about 2 hours or so in my driveway.

He said its a common problem and he has replaced a lot of them. He also said the new ones have a different rubber formulation (anyone know if this is true?). I asked if they recycle the old ones or anything and he said no, they dont. They have to break them up as people will "dumpster dive" for them before basically tossing them out.

I am in San Diego and I am not anyone famous or otherwise special / no special treatment.

Sounds like the warranty thing may just be hit or miss depending on who you get.