Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Wing Door Glass Seal deteriorating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone tried to clean FWD rubbers with white spirit napkins for injection, when rubber becomes sticky in some places?
Why I’m asking: the car has got some slightly sticking substance from dripping linden, which was easily washable with water and soap while being fresh. After having all sticking substance washed down successfully, some FWD rubbers in some parts on the roof were sticky. So I took white spirit injection napkins and washed it down. As the results it’s not sticky anymore. Should I worry about it if it is ok? The car is kept in covered garage and is exposed for direct sunlight only through out the summer for 2-3 weeks.

Last edited:
My 2018 had the problem, progressively getting worse. When the seal was essentially gone by deterioration, I ran water from a hose over the roof and had a couple of drips onto the back seat. Took a picture and reported water leaking. My SC in Rocklin covered it under warranty, even though they kept saying the company line "It's cosmetic.,.."...
Try a flow of water over the roofline and document any leak...even a drop or two should do the trick.

My 2018 had the problem, progressively getting worse. When the seal was essentially gone by deterioration, I ran water from a hose over the roof and had a couple of drips onto the back seat. Took a picture and reported water leaking. My SC in Rocklin covered it under warranty, even though they kept saying the company line "It's cosmetic.,.."...
Try a flow of water over the roofline and document any leak...even a drop or two should do the trick.
Mine did the same thing however I found out when I took it for car wash :| And the water started coming into the cabin. However it was replaced under warranty.

Now, What I am hoping is Tesla has learned from this and hopefully this issue is resolved in the refresh at-least..

Those that had this replaced could you please advise on how you did it? This is crazy! Clearly this is design defect and I am in shock that Tesla is not going to stand behind this issue. When the I asked the service tech how to escalate this so I would not have to yell at him he said that there was not anyone. I am going to have our social media team blast this across this every platform they have access to.

Are there any after market seals that can be attached with adhesive?

View attachment 412296

We own a Dec 2017 build MX100D and recently had both top Falcon Wing Door glass panels replaced. These glass panels have the rubber seals integrated around the edges and are a single part number (glass and seal). After a year of ownership, the rubber seals started deteriorating and became a tar-like oily mess which would streak black tar when wiped clean. Our service center said these windows have gone through 5 different revisions over the years. The picture above is a random MX I saw in a parking lot today with the same problems I had. Has anyone else had problems with their Falcon Wing Door Glass seals deteriorating?
Yes! July 2018 Model X. That tar like stuff gets everywhere. The driver and passenger interior window seal is oozing the same tar out of them and it makes a mess on the inside of the windows when they go up and down. I bought the extended warranty, I am hoping they will honor it and fix the defects.

Also, I'm an attorney. If anyone wants to join my arbitration, I'm going to look into whether attorneys' fees are recoverable in the arbitration. If so I may be willng to have others join my arbitration. Sometimes the only way to get their attention is the spectre of attorneys' fees.
Maybe a bit OT here, but I'd love to hear why you, as an attorney, didn't choose to opt out of the arbitration clause when you purchased your X.