Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon wing door just opened, no reason and no warning, now what?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving slowly (maybe 3 miles an hour) leaving the parking garage at work, and my falcon wing door just opened up. Only the left door. I I hadn’t touched anything or done anything to cause this. The problem is that as it opened I was moving between two pillars and I hit one and it pushed the door out of alignment. i heard the warning noise just as the door impacted the pillar. I had, before then, pulled out of my space, turned around and had gone maybe 30 feet when it happened.Now in the shop.

Has this happened to anyone else and if so who at Tesla did you contact to talk about it. Getting to talk to anyone there is a lot of work these days.

...I don't think this is documented in the manual, so are you saying you know from experience that you can open doors with the fob while moving?

Documented by @Like Tesla.

..."Open the door at will" ≠ "Open the door with the fob at will"...

Above 30 MPH, you cannot open the Falcon Wing Doors even you manually press the fob, press the central screen, or the door switch.

Under 30 MPH, you can do all of those above to open the Falcon Wing Doors manually at your own will or unintentionally at the machine's will and it doesn't matter where that "will" comes from: a person, fob or a software bug update...

May be off topic, but I have had many unexpected fob presses while it is in my pants pocket. I never keep it in my pocket now. I use a lanyard and keep it on my neck, or in my outer winter coat.

I put "Cages" around mine because of WAY to many (dangerous) accidental clicks.

Absolutely manditory.

49518242536_7ffe8498c6_b_d.jpg

I just tried to use the fob to open FWD while driving 5 mph and all it did was make an awful beeping noise while unlocking the door. The door did not open even when I pressed the fob again. At a stop but still in drive it did the same thing.

I do have child locks on if that makes a difference.

While in Drive and using the FWD control on the main screen I was able to open the door

• Helpful
Reactions: mxnym
Keep in mind that Tesla changed the Key Fob "Close" a couple of years ago to 3 rapid presses from 1 as the standard. Several incidences were documented of unintentional pressing the top of the Fob causing the door(s) to close prematurely. I didn't think it was an big deal, until I tried to place something in the hatch and pressed the top of the Fob in my pocket when I bent over. Even though the door will sense an obstruction, it startles one when it goes "beeeep" and starts to close on your head. '

So it is very possible to press the top side of the Fob with the key in the pocket. I have become cautious of what is in the pocket with my key fob over the years. A stick of chewing gum (aluminium foil) will make the Fob not readable... what's in your pocket may matter. Let's not discuss needing a larger pants size. :)

i have a pair of pants that if I put the fob in my pocket I will trigger a door. If the cabin is locked it'll beep and that stupid horn will go off it seems to always been the drivers side door too. Not sure what I'm doing, but it's happened ~ 5 times now since I bought it in October 2019.

I have had 2 Model S's before and picked up my first Model X today. I was siting inside the car reading the Owners Manual, and all of a sudden the left rear door went up. The fob was sitting in the phone charging tray. I was not moving, touching or doing anything that could have cause it. The charge cable was plugged in.

I was driving slowly (maybe 3 miles an hour) leaving the parking garage at work, and my falcon wing door just opened up. Only the left door. I I hadn’t touched anything or done anything to cause this. The problem is that as it opened I was moving between two pillars and I hit one and it pushed the door out of alignment. i heard the warning noise just as the door impacted the pillar. I had, before then, pulled out of my space, turned around and had gone maybe 30 feet when it happened.Now in the shop.

Has this happened to anyone else and if so who at Tesla did you contact to talk about it. Getting to talk to anyone there is a lot of work these days.

lots of false positives. Document the dates/times and make an appointment.