Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Wing Door Opening Height

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gnuarm

Model X 100 with 72 amp chargers
Anyone know the measurements for the FWD opening height vs. the suspension settings? My doors don't always open fully and the service center isn't interested in fixing this if it doesn't malfunction for them. I had it in the shop once for other things and when I picked it up the doors didn't open fully. Someone came out and checked it determining the sensor was faulty. I made the mistake of waiting until Tesla is in it's present economic state to take it in to be fixed and they don't find any record of the previous diagnosis.

I took a photo the other day of the door not opening enough for my 5'6" friend to stand under it. Supposedly they can use the time of that event to dig into the car event history and find out what happened. We'll see if this is enough to get them to act.

I assume you’ve tried the FWD reset process (see here) Model X Reset Techniques
?

No, I was not aware of this. Don't you think the shop would have done this if it were useful in this case? Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll try this when I am in an open parking lot next time.

I'm actually very tired of having to learn about all the "secrets" of the Tesla model X. I love driving the car. But I just want the damn thing to work. If I were to add up all the little inconsistencies and oddities of this car, I think they literally could fill a book. It wouldn't be worth publishing though because they change every month or so.

No, I was not aware of this. Don't you think the shop would have done this if it were useful in this case? Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll try this when I am in an open parking lot next time.

I'm actually very tired of having to learn about all the "secrets" of the Tesla model X. I love driving the car. But I just want the damn thing to work. If I were to add up all the little inconsistencies and oddities of this car, I think they literally could fill a book. It wouldn't be worth publishing though because they change every month or so.
Yeah, no idea what some service centers know or don’t. But the steps in that thread have been very useful to many owners! Especially when things like the height settings are geo-location limited so perhaps they didn’t clear them. Let us know what you come up with!

Seems the service manager was full of it. The best he can do is to tell me the range of opening height for the entire range of ride height. No specific numbers for any single ride height.

Wing door clearance can range from 75 to 81 inches depending on the vehicle ride-height selected (very low to very high, measured from floor to lowest portion of protruding door panel)

Even with that the door sometimes opens to 73 inches or less with no obstructions anywhere around. They simply aren't going to fix any problem that is intermittent and they can't reproduce.

In other words, Tesla service centers are going to crap because they are so short on cash.

I'm taking the car in for multiple issues Friday. The other evening a friend was trapped because the right rear door would not open when he pushed the button. The dash said there was an obstruction. There was nothing within many feet and that was well above the car. I'm really tired of owning such a piece of malware. I like driving it, but pretty much nothing on the car works reliably. Even putting it in drive seems to be erratic. Sometimes it works without thinking about it. Other times I have to wait many seconds.

I guess this is expected in some sense. While other car makers put computers in their cars, Tesla gave their computer wheels.

Did you ever get this resolved? I have a 2016 Model X and it used to fully open but it's been a while since it would fully open and now it seems like it's getting worse the older it gets. Even when I'm out in the open and nothing is obstructing it sometimes it won't fully open and I'm constantly having to manually open it. Or more times than not when I'm parked next to a car and there is plenty of room my kids can't get out as it barely opens even though it would normally open.

I've been traveling the past several months so I haven't had time to deal with it. I was surprised now when I call to schedule an appointment I can't even schedule over the phone. It says App only and my app keeps freezing to schedule when it's looking up my address.

Arg!