Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon wing door - rain concern?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the Meet Model X event in NYC last night, it was raining pretty heavily with wind that inverted my umbrella on the walk over (more than once). The FWDs on a couple of the Model Xes were opened and closed multiple times while I was there, with me in the back seat. From what I could see, it was bone dry inside the middle and rear rows of seats. This is not a design problem but could be a QC thing. It was also nice getting out of the back seat and sitting under the FWD for shelter while the Tesla guy was opening up an umbrella for me. I would say Falcon Wing Doors are superior to regular doors in the rain, for that specific reason (overhead shelter while entering and exiting).

At the Meet Model X event in NYC last night, it was raining pretty heavily with wind that inverted my umbrella on the walk over (more than once). The FWDs on a couple of the Model Xes were opened and closed multiple times while I was there, with me in the back seat. From what I could see, it was bone dry inside the middle and rear rows of seats. This is not a design problem but could be a QC thing. It was also nice getting out of the back seat and sitting under the FWD for shelter while the Tesla guy was opening up an umbrella for me. I would say Falcon Wing Doors are superior to regular doors in the rain, for that specific reason (overhead shelter while entering and exiting).

Great assessment.

Anyone have experience with snow yet? I volunteered at the Toronto Auto Show Tesla booth where we had a Model X on display. Almost everyone I spoke to asked me "what happens when you open those doors up with a load of snow on the roof?"

I have only the following to report; in the two weeks I have owned my Model X the rain seems to be only at night while it is in the garage but Tuesday it got a good soaking while I was at work. It had stopped by the time I was leaving but i opened the FWD to check and all the standing water pooled to the center of the roof and out channels with no leakage inside. As I am in Miami I don't think I will have to wait too long to test them in a true rain event so i will keep you posted.

PS I am blown away by my car!

Anyone have experience with snow yet? I volunteered at the Toronto Auto Show Tesla booth where we had a Model X on display. Almost everyone I spoke to asked me "what happens when you open those doors up with a load of snow on the roof?"

My Model X had no problems with rain or snow.

Just to get out in front of it: no problems with hail.

In all seriousness, the best way to avoid hail damage is to avoid driving through nasty thunderstorms, and the best way to avoid thunderstorms is with a good radar picture (ask any airline pilot). Internet radar is getting quite good these days and of course you can pull it up on your Tesla's display. I used this technique passing through South Carolina over the summer and it worked well:
Carolina thunder | The Electric Road Trip