Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon wing door refuses to open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, I’m new to these forums so please forgive if this has already been answered.
We have had our 2017 MX100D since December 1, 2020 and have loved it! But the passenger side rear door has now decided it doesn‘t want to open - not with the fob, outside handle, inside button or center console.. I have even tried the manual braided cable release behind the speaker cover - nada! This is frustrating enough BUT it gets better. Even though the door is completely closed and flush with the rest of the car body, the car THINKS it is open (at least the phone app & steering wheel images show it open - center console does NOT show it open) and sounds the “door open” ding ding ding constantly as we drive! Earliest SC appointment is 2 weeks out and my hold on sanity won’t last that long! Has anyone had a similar issue? Any owner fixes?

Also, about 2 weeks prior to this we were trying to do the “Model XMas” routine for some friends but it kept failing at the part where the falcon wing doors begin to open. So I’m thinking that the Model XMas routine is a pretty strenuous workout for the doors and that I can use it *just prior to my warranty expiring* to be sure they are in top shape (or get them fixed)

***My wife has found a ‘work around’! We can at least stop the ding ding ding if we use the inside manual handle to open the front passenger door then close it! You can’t use the console button to open it - just the manual handle. Don’t ask me to explain WHY this works but it does. At least now the 1.5 hr drive to the SC won’t send me over the edge! ***

I had the EXACT same problem happen. They ended up replacing the "ACTUATOR, CINCHING, LIFTGATE (1034485-S0-C)"

I used a long bungee cord attached to the passenger side handle to stop the dinging like you said. Get in, put it in gear, DING DING DING, yank bungee to open door, then use console button to close door, no more DING.

Hi everyone, I’m new to these forums so please forgive if this has already been answered.
We have had our 2017 MX100D since December 1, 2020 and have loved it! But the passenger side rear door has now decided it doesn‘t want to open - not with the fob, outside handle, inside button or center console....

***My wife has found a ‘work around’! We can at least stop the ding ding ding if we use the inside manual handle to open the front passenger door then close it! You can’t use the console button to open it - just the manual handle. Don’t ask me to explain WHY this works but it does. At least now the 1.5 hr drive to the SC won’t send me over the edge! ***
Did you ever get this fixed? The manual suggests that the manual release should be used very sparingly. Some questions:
  1. What was the root cause of the problem?
  2. Have you been able to (post fixing) open the door with the manual, under-the-speaker-grill handle?
  3. Is the door is light enough, that you think you could still open it, if you had a broken leg, and the car was on fire?
  4. And could your smallest child open it, if push came to shove?