Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Wing Door sensor reliability?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,
Just curious if anyone has had reliability issues with their falcon wing door sensor? We just had 3rd ultraonic sensor replacement on the door side of our X60D in 4 months, so I am curious if this is normal or if this points to some other issues with the door.

Thanks,

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby and cwerdna
I do. My sensor was replaced the first day upon delivery. It's been working mostly fine in following months until last month or so when there's more sunshine here in SoCal. I've noticed when the car is parked under the sun with sunlight shining at the driver side door for, say, 5 minutes+, the sensor would start detecting obstacles very close to the door (with the red line on the touchscreen). When this happens I am not able to open the FWD with the fob nor the touchscreen. I need to press on the handle so it would open very very slightly, just enough to reach the override button on the B pillar to open it wide, very slowly. Obviously when this occurs my driver door would only open very slightly and need to be forced open wider. Annoying.

I finally got fed up and took it in for repair. They replaced it and added insulation / firmware update / calibrate etc. last week. It worked ok through the weekend (maybe due to less sunshine over the weekend), but when I was leaving this morning, the exact same thing is happening again. I still have a few parts being backordered so I'll have to bring it in again sooner or later.

Also a X60D delivered late September 2016.

I really don't see myself keeping this car for more than 4 years. I can't imagine all the problems happening after warranty. I am also not a fan of extended warranty purchases.

Last edited:
I do. My sensor was replaced the first day upon delivery. It's been working mostly fine in following months until last month or so when there's more sunshine here in SoCal. I've noticed when the car is parked under the sun with sunlight shining at the driver side door for, say, 5 minutes+, the sensor would start detecting obstacles very close to the door (with the red line on the touchscreen). When this happens I am not able to open the FWD with the fob nor the touchscreen. I need to press on the handle so it would open very very slightly, just enough to reach the override button on the B pillar to open it wide, very slowly. Obviously when this occurs my driver door would only open very slightly and need to be forced open wider. Annoying.

I finally got fed up and took it in for repair. They replaced it and added insulation / firmware update / calibrate etc. last week. It worked ok through the weekend (maybe due to less sunshine over the weekend), but when I was leaving this morning, the exact same thing is happening again. I still have a few parts being backordered so I'll have to bring it in again sooner or later.

Also a X60D delivered late September 2016.

I really don't see myself keeping this car for more than 4 years. I can't imagine all the problems happening after warranty. I am also not a fan of extended warranty purchases.

Interesting. Our X60D was also delivered late September during the end of quarter rush. I still find it funny that they had to bring down an IT guy from Hawthorne to help with delivery because they had so many cars to deliver.

Possibly, but not sure I want to pursue that option yet. We really like the way the car drives. Just wish the left side door will work the same as the right side door... It's a pain to have to override every time, especially since that's the side where our baby sits.

My left hand FW is the only one acting up as well. Service tech said it was the front driver's door latch. He said it talks to the left hand FW door, and it's different from the front pass door because of the auto present capability. He seemed very knowledgeable about everything else so I had no reason to doubt him. They replaced the latch. So far, no issue... but it has only been a couple days.

Possibly, and I did ask Tesla tech that yesterday. The guy still thinks it's the sensor and how it's installed in the door, but frankly I don't think that's it given this is my 3rd sensors in 3 months.
Haven't had an issue at all with our FWD's. I would agree with you its not likely a sensor issue. Perhaps the door skin that was put on your car is literally too thick? I'm not exactly sure how the sensors see through the skin, however, I would think if something was even a millimeter out of tolerance it could cause an issue with the sensors. Then again... I'm not an engineer.

I've noticed when the car is parked under the sun with sunlight shining at the driver side door for, say, 5 minutes+, the sensor would start detecting obstacles very close to the door (with the red line on the touchscreen). When this happens I am not able to open the FWD with the fob nor the touchscreen. I need to press on the handle so it would open very very slightly, just enough to reach the override button on the B pillar to open it wide, very slowly. Obviously when this occurs my driver door would only open very slightly and need to be forced open wider. Annoying.

I just tested this today and surprise, I get the same exact response as you get. I left the MX in my driveway, about 80 degrees, the sun was beating on the driver's side. The front driver's door and driver's side FW wouldn't open via the screen. Outside door handle barely open each. A red line appeared indicating an obstacle was detected.

Service tech claimed it was the door latch, which obviously is not the case. The red line persisted even when I was driving. It seems to be a heat issue.

I also had both front half-shafts replaced because it would shudder under moderate to hard acceleration. This also didn't fix the issue. Looks like back to the SC for me.

IMG_0928.JPG

Do you guys have PUP? We have an X60d non-PUP. No issues so far, but no auto-presenting doors so not sure if that contributes. I'm in socal too so I guess I'll find out this summer if I have similar issues. Ours is white maybe that helps keep the heat down slightly as I notice in pic yours is black?

I'm definitely as worried as it seems like others are here about reliability. Original plan was to own the car at least 8 years but I've had it since December 2016 and already been to service center 3 times--2 major issues: broken control unit that controls gps, the light sensor, and driver assistance features, and one of my 3rd row seats won't come up.

I do plan to get a Model 3 and glad it's not as complex, like others said we love how Tesla drives. Used ap 2.0 for long distance for first time today on the 5 and it works fantastic -- made driving up so much easier. I actually want Model Y to have FWD, so that means hopefully they'll perfect the tech and pass that onto any potential repairs for my doors...

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Do you guys have PUP? We have an X60d non-PUP. No issues so far, but no auto-presenting doors so not sure if that contributes. I'm in socal too so I guess I'll find out this summer if I have similar issues. Ours is white maybe that helps keep the heat down slightly as I notice in pic yours is black?

I'm definitely as worried as it seems like others are here about reliability. Original plan was to own the car at least 8 years but I've had it since December 2016 and already been to service center 3 times--2 major issues: broken control unit that controls gps, the light sensor, and driver assistance features, and one of my 3rd row seats won't come up.

I do plan to get a Model 3 and glad it's not as complex, like others said we love how Tesla drives. Used ap 2.0 for long distance for first time today on the 5 and it works fantastic -- made driving up so much easier. I actually want Model Y to have FWD, so that means hopefully they'll perfect the tech and pass that onto any potential repairs for my doors...
Yes I do have PUP and it's midnight silver. It literally started happening just few minutes under the sun - summoned out of garage, opened door (fine) to let kid in, closed door, then opened it again 1-2 minutes afterward to help with her seat belt and I wasn't able to.

Have PUP with no FWD issues. On top of that mine is black and has sit out in the sun with no adverse effects.

Exact same behavior on our black 90D At least now I know I am not imagining things. Weird thing is that it doesn't happen if you are driving in the hot sunshine. It only happens when you are parked in the open for a long time. So far it doesn't bother me too much as my vehicle is generally not parked outside for too long. I'll probably get the SC to look at it when I go in for my 12k service. I just don't want them messing with the FWDs. The car has been relatively flawless for almost 8 months now (fingers crossed)!

I just tested this today and surprise, I get the same exact response as you get. I left the MX in my driveway, about 80 degrees, the sun was beating on the driver's side. The front driver's door and driver's side FW wouldn't open via the screen. Outside door handle barely open each. A red line appeared indicating an obstacle was detected.

Service tech claimed it was the door latch, which obviously is not the case. The red line persisted even when I was driving. It seems to be a heat issue.

I also had both front half-shafts replaced because it would shudder under moderate to hard acceleration. This also didn't fix the issue. Looks like back to the SC for me.