Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Wing Door sensor reliability?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since dropping off my X last week for FWD obstacle detected issue, the service center replaced the door sensors twice. It appears that the second replacement fixed the issue. After a week, I got my car back and hope the issue does not return.

I'm also still having the issue and it's obviously getting worse with the increased temps. Later this week, I'm going to test it with a infrared thermometer to see what temp the door reaches before it refuses to work.
It's not always easy to replicate, at least for me. For example, my car was sitting under the hot sun w/ the sun on the bad door side for hours. When we went back to the car the FWD opened and I thought bam they finally fixed it. I arrived at a friend's place afterward, just few miles away, the FWD still opened ok. Few minutes later it started detecting obstacles when I went to the car to unload some stuff. The FWD was pretty hot to touch at this location just after few minutes sitting there. I didn't touch the FWD at the previous location but I can't imagine it not being hot sitting there for few hours.

My latest update:

Brought the car in for 4th time last Tuesday. Basically haven't heard back from them at all for whole week. Got a call this morning that they've replaced everything one can think of and it's still faulting. Now they are waiting for approval from managers to get the whole door replaced. It will require a body shop to do the replacement and takes couple weeks for the door to arrive.

Now I just hope they will do a good job getting the door replaced. I am worrie that I will face with endless FWD noise/alignment issue afterwards. I am optimistic that the replacement will solve the problem. The loaner I got built the same time with same color (midnight silver) does not have this issue.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
My latest update:

Brought the car in for 4th time last Tuesday. Basically haven't heard back from them at all for whole week. Got a call this morning that they've replaced everything one can think of and it's still faulting. Now they are waiting for approval from managers to get the whole door replaced. It will require a body shop to do the replacement and takes couple weeks for the door to arrive.

Now I just hope they will do a good job getting the door replaced. I am worrie that I will face with endless FWD noise/alignment issue afterwards. I am optimistic that the replacement will solve the problem. The loaner I got built the same time with same color (midnight silver) does not have this issue.

Wow, I think we're in the same boat. I brought mine in last Thursday for the FW sensor. No update this week. They gave me a P90DL MX in the same color as well but it doesn't have the same issue which is reassuring. Seems to be vehicle dependent, and they can't figure out why some have the issue wile others do not.

Wow, I think we're in the same boat. I brought mine in last Thursday for the FW sensor. No update this week. They gave me a P90DL MX in the same color as well but it doesn't have the same issue which is reassuring. Seems to be vehicle dependent, and they can't figure out why some have the issue wile others do not.
I just got another update today -
Before they pushed for a replacing the whole door as a final resolution, engineering wanted them to replace every single component like seals, etc. (I thought they said they already replaced everything one can think of???). It looks like it's working now with no fault sitting in the sun for 30minutes. Usually it faults in 5 minutes or so with a temperature of 130F on the door or so. They are going to keep it for another day to make sure it's not faulting any more. I might be able to pick it up tomorrow without having the entire FWD replaced!

But now I think about it... is it because it's cooler today compared to the past week???

I hope that fixes it for you outie. Keep us updated.

A couple months ago I had reported my driver side FWD was fixed by a sensor replacement. But as things have been getting warmer the issue has slowly been coming back, popping up on occasion. Turns out with the heat this last week the issue has shown up in both doors. The driver side door was even doing it immediately after parking, not needing to sit stationary at all first.

Update: after 2 weeks and 2 days at the SC, I picked up my car. They said they've waited 2 days and got no more fault. Finger crossed. If it fails again I guess it's time to file lemon law.

Corrections: Sensor - Ultrasonic - Rear Door - LH

Perform removal and replacement of ultrasonic sensor on drivers rear falcon door along with tripod assembly. Per engineering department replace all pads for falcon door assembly. Updated firmware for vehicle.

Left vehicle out in heat for 2 consecutive days under various temperature conditions with no faults in detecting false objects.
Vehicle falcon door is operating as designed.

Update: after 2 weeks and 2 days at the SC, I picked up my car. They said they've waited 2 days and got no more fault. Finger crossed. If it fails again I guess it's time to file lemon law.

Corrections: Sensor - Ultrasonic - Rear Door - LH

Perform removal and replacement of ultrasonic sensor on drivers rear falcon door along with tripod assembly. Per engineering department replace all pads for falcon door assembly. Updated firmware for vehicle.

Left vehicle out in heat for 2 consecutive days under various temperature conditions with no faults in detecting false objects.
Vehicle falcon door is operating as designed.
I'm happy to report something similar. They had my X for a week and finally figured it out. now if they can only build the car with this solution...

Well, the same door is having problem again, except now it's also having trouble closing at times. It will come down to the last 3 or 4 inches and stopped as if it detected an object, even when no one is in or near the car. Not sure how much longer I want to battle this crazy door anymore...

It will come down to the last 3 or 4 inches and stopped as if it detected an object, even when no one is in or near the car.

Yeah my passenger side FWD started doing that too. Maybe half a dozen times in the last few weeks. Kinda embarrassing when your walk away thinking it closed and someone stops you to ask if it's supposed to be that way. ("Uh...yeah...for cooling, like venting your sunroof." ;-)

One time though it really was caused by my daughter's shoe. :)

I'm planning to mention this when taking mine in for the heat related issue with the doors hoping it'll be a simple adjustment. I'm just waiting for some more firsthand accounts that they really can fix that these doors.

Same issue starting to pop up on my passenger side FWD. First use or two of the day almost always results in a phantom detection. Usually works pretty well after that, until it has sat out in the 90+ degree heat and then it also starts clunking when when latches. I need to find time to drive it up, always fun when the service center is almost 50 miles away...lol

Same issue starting to pop up on my passenger side FWD. First use or two of the day almost always results in a phantom detection. Usually works pretty well after that, until it has sat out in the 90+ degree heat and then it also starts clunking when when latches. I need to find time to drive it up, always fun when the service center is almost 50 miles away...lol
The heat related issue can be fixed by replacing everything inside. Our SC kept replacing sensors which didn't fix it until they replaced every single component down to the seals. However it's possible they won't do this until they've replaced the sensors 3 or 4 times ;)

FW Door Issue Sanity Check

We've never experienced the phantom opening obstruction issue, but frequently the doors don't open nearly as much as they could, based on proximity to side & overhead clearance. It's no big deal, as it's wearying going back & forth to service. That said, the car is my better half's regular driver & she wants it back in the shop because several times, the fwd's have come down on her with no request (either via switch or remote) for the fwd's to close - nor were the fobs' buttons in any place where either could be accidentally pushed against. She's the 'eggshell' type, & any little tap feels worse against her Fibromyalgia skin. I really hate going back in for intermittent things, but .....
So does anyone feel super confident about any SoCal shop in particular regarding fwd's?
:(

Last edited:
I've also had the same issue on the passenger side FWD since picking up my X in July. Seems to happen more frequently when it's sunny and is very annoying since my daughter is in her car seat when it occurs.
I'll be calling the local SC and will surely reference this forum thread.
Thanks for sharing your info.

4 months in and I am sad to report that the problem appears to crawl back. I parked under the sun for an hour today. It’s about 90F outside. When I came back to open the driver side FWD it only opened half way with nothing on the side (there was no car on the side when I parked the car so it was not a memory effect). My driver door also only opened half way. When the doors were closed needless to say the door shows phantom detection on the side that didn’t go away until I drove for 5 minutes.

While it was not as severe as before (I couldn’t even open the FWD with the fob before), I suspect the issue will get worse eventually just like before. I think the replacement parts are starting to fail/degrade/wear again after all these months.

The only issue with my FWD

Bird Poop
IMG_1958.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: lunitiks
Is this vid representative?

There was a service/campaign bulletin out in March 2016, telling the SC to replace the FWD ultrasonics with an updated sensor (part no. 1055890-00-C). Issue: "The adhesive that secures the rear door ultrasonic sensors might be prone to early delamination."

Since then, the sensor assembly has been revised twice; first rev. -D and then rev. -E (current).

BTW there was also a bulletin in July '16, issue: "An open rear window might cause the rear door ultrasonic sensors to detect non-existent objects, causing the door to stop unnecessarily while it is opening". Remedy: "On both sides of the vehicle, install foam tape around the rear door ultrasonic sensor."

Last edited: