Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Wing Door Slowly Dropping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm no engineer but the arrows in Ohmman's pic looks like the medial struts in the diagram. These might be electric actuators in fact as aopposed to gas struts that lift the door hinged at the spine. Curious to know if there's a sound made like an air leak when the door drops in the video.

I'm no engineer but the arrows in Ohmman's pic looks like the medial struts in the diagram. These might be electric actuators in fact as aopposed to gas struts that lift the door hinged at the spine. Curious to know if there's a sound made like an air leak when the door drops in the video.

There isn't an escaping air sound. I hear the motors unwinding as it goes down, though it sounds like they're just moving under weight. The vehicle knows the status of the door - I can watch it dropping on the display as well (which is admittedly a little odd, and maybe means there's something else going on). It closes fine whether I wait for it to drop all the way and hit close, or if I just hit close anytime during the "fall".

Just came back from SC again and my X is delayed again to tomorrow. That leaves only 2 days before 30 lemon law kick in and they have not install the replacement third row seat yet due to recall. They will most likely call me to do the exchange today. Back to topic, the SC manager told me they have seen people having the door slowing clasping down like the OP stated. So this problems is not isolated as well. Hopefully it's not like the latch problem all over again.

Not had this issue even though I continue have minor problems with the front and falcon wing doors. My problems are usually computer/sensor related and a quick reboot fixes the problem. I have been ask to show my car at Earth Day at the Kennedy Space Center later this week. I have learned you need to limit the amount of times you open and close the door in a short period or they just stop working.

Reactions: Eclectic
There isn't an escaping air sound. I hear the motors unwinding as it goes down, though it sounds like they're just moving under weight. The vehicle knows the status of the door - I can watch it dropping on the display as well (which is admittedly a little odd, and maybe means there's something else going on). It closes fine whether I wait for it to drop all the way and hit close, or if I just hit close anytime during the "fall".
Not trying to sound funny, but have you tried to "reboot" the car?

I know people keep bringing up Lemon laws.. but are you actually thinking of initiating that process or do you want to keep your car and you're just frustrated.

Regardless of the law, I think at some point Tesla needs to throw in the towel and say "here's your shiny new car, sorry about the old one - we are taking that back to the factory to study what happened" Then maybe throw in a Tesla keychain and hat.

Not had this issue even though I continue have minor problems with the front and falcon wing doors. My problems are usually computer/sensor related and a quick reboot fixes the problem. I have been ask to show my car at Earth Day at the Kennedy Space Center later this week. I have learned you need to limit the amount of times you open and close the door in a short period or they just stop working.
@Darryl roughly how many actuations of open/close would you guess before they cease to work? Just FWD or front doors too? We have small kids who I know will want to play with them at first.

If you go back in his posting history you'll see he already discussed invoking the lemon law with his SC which agrees with him.
Buena Park service has helped shorten wait times. My Model X repair time is 2 weeks over almost 4 months. The front door latch wait was the longest, but they replaced and modified other items during the wait. The Falcon Wing Doors now operate normally with the heat.

The 2012 Model S is getting hatch repair today that couldn't be scheduled at Costa Mesa until May 4th or 5th (and that was a week ago).

I will create a short list that can be addressed when the seat backs are replaced. One original second row seat operates differently after the software was updated for a new seat on the other side. That can take time to discover and request a repair.

Last edited:
Hi folks, I don't state lemon law just for fun. Everything i stated regarding to lemon law and my X are facts and agreed by both SC and myself. The car has been in service for 27 days now. 3 more days until 30th day hit. They told me to pick up the car tomorrow which is going to be 28th day, the recall will take one day which is 29th day. But SC manager already started the exchange request to upper management and they should be contacting me anytime now. Exchanging the car will not go thought lemon law process, but i do have to wait addtional time to get the car build. Frustration yes! Anger Yes and No. Got over it, nothing really matter at this time but get my X back in problems free condition. But i want to say my SC manager really took care of me. I am glad i am still pretty young at 30, if i am much older, i don't know if my artery can even handle it. lol!

So.. Wohmman came home today complaining that the driver's side FWD isn't staying up. Sure enough, it's not. At full opening, it seems OK. But anytime it's obstructed from a full open (sensors/umbrella mode), it begins to slowly descend. Seems like a leak in one of the arms. The lower the door is, the faster the descent.

I'll be calling the SC tomorrow. Anyone else seen this?

Same issue started for me today. I have an appointment for May 15 at the SC to look at this and the various other issues. They made it for May 15 so that they could hopefully take care of the 3rd row seat recall issue at the same time. The fun never stops.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
Giving choices I would prefer to get a newly build X. It's much better quality and I feel much safer to carry my new born around and go on a road trip. Plus they told me i can have my black wheel back also, which is a plus. I originally wanted the black wheel but can't handle the wait, paid 500 to change to 22 silver for earlier delivery. All those don't matter anymore. The current X kinda scaring me. I am afraid that it might break again.

Giving choices I would prefer to get a newly build X. It's much better quality and I feel much safer to carry my new born around and go on a road trip. Plus they told me i can have my black wheel back also, which is a plus. I originally wanted the black wheel but can't handle the wait, paid 500 to change to 22 silver for earlier delivery. All those don't matter anymore. The current X kinda scaring me. I am afraid that it might break again.

@ModelXBoy, I understand your position and hopefully it is resolved to your satisfaction soon. Getting a replacement would be great. IN such a scenario as you were without your car for a month and will need wait for a replacement, do you end up carrying the cost of the car ownership for the weeks that you will wait or will you get to keep your loaner for that period? I presume you already have a model S as a loaner.

@ModelXBoy, I understand your position and hopefully it is resolved to your satisfaction soon. Getting a replacement would be great. IN such a scenario as you were without your car for a month and will need wait for a replacement, do you end up carrying the cost of the car ownership for the weeks that you will wait or will you get to keep your loaner for that period? I presume you already have a model S as a loaner.

Yes, the SC manager told me I would have to return the current X while continue to drive the loaner until the new X is fully built. The original X will be back to Fremont for detailed inspections. Possibly trace back to the assembly line and person responsible for that line as well.

Reactions: deonb