Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Wing Door "stuck"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks, ran into a nasty problem with our 90D. One of the falcon wing doors is stuck in a funny state. The door physically appears shut, but car claims that it is partially open. No control (manual switch on the door, touchscreen controls etc.) will open or close the door. Contacted the SC and they had us try a few things (mainly messing with the controls), but to no avail. SC claim they have taken a diagnostic from the car and are investigating :(

Anyone else having issues with their FW doors?

Ours was stuck in an intermediate state and we got 3 beeps and no movement when hitting the touchscreen control, inside pillar control, or red button on the FWD. We were told to press and HOLD the pillar control until the door moved. This worked for us.

I had a situation where the door would only open a few inches then three beeps. The center console indicated a full open door. I could close the door by holding the physical switch, but not with the center console. My ranger told me that if the door is ever confused, you can re-calibrate it by holding the physical switch in the "close" position while the door is closed and latched. The door will open a few inches, shimmy, then close again.

I'm dropping mine off tomorrow morning for the same issue. I was at the service center when we discovered it. They tried to access it with a laptop and diagnostics but it just wasn't responding. It's going to be more than a day's worth of work - sounds like there's a logic controller somewhere in the door that probably has failed.

I'm dropping mine off tomorrow morning for the same issue. I was at the service center when we discovered it. They tried to access it with a laptop and diagnostics but it just wasn't responding. It's going to be more than a day's worth of work - sounds like there's a logic controller somewhere in the door that probably has failed.
I'm taking mine in tomorrow morning also. Sounds like a nasty issue.

Mine just got it a couple days after the update, after 10 days with no problems with the doors. Coordinating with the service center tomorrow morning, hopefully it's a quick fix like the door latch issue was for me the very first day.

It won't even beep when trying to recalibrate it. It's currently closed and doesn't respond to opening. I have a sense it has something to do with a sensor since its affecting my front door not fully auto presenting.

Reactions: SMSMD
I had the same problem. With 2.15.16, the doors would lose their calibrations whenever the car went to sleep. The problem is that when you run many calibration cycles over and over, things pull a bit tighter and can get out of whack. Mine did what the OP noted as well, except it made a horrible noise while trying to cinch and would not show "closed".

The problem with that is that the calibration cycle can never complete, so the door is left in an inoperable state.

The service center had to readjust the latch and the latch carrier on the car, and 2.15.50 finally kept the car from losing its calibration every 12 hours.

@FlasherZ seems to have it right, at least for my issue. My X was delivered with 2.15.16 (even though 2.15.50 was out in the wild at the time, per reports here). The door kept closing tighter and tighter, which was evidenced by misalignment of the handles and the rear wheel trim. Eventually, the door module stopped responding. They reset the module by doing a 12v reset and were able to upgrade firmware at that time. Firmware could not be upgraded while the door was uncommunicative. Doors are operating normally at this time.

Folks, ran into a nasty problem with our 90D. One of the falcon wing doors is stuck in a funny state. The door physically appears shut, but car claims that it is partially open. No control (manual switch on the door, touchscreen controls etc.) will open or close the door. Contacted the SC and they had us try a few things (mainly messing with the controls), but to no avail. SC claim they have taken a diagnostic from the car and are investigating :(

Anyone else having issues with their FW doors?

I had this happen in January and I could not get the drivers falcon door open (also took place on a busy Sunday). In an attempt of desperation, I found the first responder manual which shows a manual release just behind the speaker in the door. I pried off the speaker cover and pulled the cord to release the door manually. After that, things returned to normal. I'm still not sure if it is a latch or alignment issue, but they are working on it (and have been fantastic as far as service goes).