Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Wing Door "stuck"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
image.jpeg
Another picture of my P90DL after Liquid Crystal and two coats of GTechniq EXOv2 along with Xpel on the front hood and fenders.
I have had door problems from the first time I picked it up. Got 5-6 miles and they had to come and pick up car. I forget what your VIN number is but any VIN less than 600 may have defective latching mechanism. They replaced them on my car.

Have you tried rebooting the car by holding in the two rotating thumb knobs on both sides of steering wheel. I know it sound strange but I have found it fixes a lot of problems. It is like when you call tech support about your PC the first question they ask you "did you reboot your computer". I have to reboot at least once a day to fix problems. I haven't had time to take it in to the SC.

• Love
Reactions: vandacca and ModelX
I had 2 issues today but they were fixed quickly. one was the falcon wing door and the other was the passenger front door not completely latching (if you pushed it it closed).

The falcon wing door was probably left open too long when it was cleaning and it lost timing. They did a manual reset at the service center. The front door got out of whack because the passenger was not expecting the door to open and close automatically and forced it a few times while the door was trying to open and close automatically. After this, the door just wasn't aware of where it was "located".

Basically, there needs to be an update that makes the engine controllers more aware of real life situations, that passengers / valets, etc that aren't acquainted with the car manually interrupt the doors and they lose calibration (life happens!).

In the meantime, if the driver is able to control all the doors via the center console / the key lock for the most part, it probably makes these things more unlikely.

The service center has been great so far btw, very good service.

Catching up after the last four days. My experience was similar, I took it in to SC and they said they did a "hard reset" on the door. Service advisor didn't offer up as many technical details as some of you managed to extract :) All in all, it was a relatively quick job. Seems like this is typical early bug squashing going on for the various subsystems.

Had a similar problem on day 1 with the Model X - sensed some obstruction and refused to open or close completely because the sensor inidicated it was already closed. After 20 min of resetting from steering wheel, holding open and close buttons, it just magically closed and started working. Would love to have the actual steps for recalibrating the sensor (if that was the problem) if I encounter this problem again.

Also do you guys know if it's ok to physically force the FaWD closed?

Thanks!

Had a similar problem on day 1 with the Model X - sensed some obstruction and refused to open or close completely because the sensor inidicated it was already closed. After 20 min of resetting from steering wheel, holding open and close buttons, it just magically closed and started working. Would love to have the actual steps for recalibrating the sensor (if that was the problem) if I encounter this problem again.

Also do you guys know if it's ok to physically force the FaWD closed?

In the early days, there was a bad design on the ultrasonics in the door and they popped loose, sensing random obstructions that weren't there. The service center has a fix for those.

To recalibrate the doors, hold the B-pillar internal open/close switch to the closed position for 30 seconds. The door will slightly open from its current position, move out and up slightly, then close until the latch is sensed. The door is then calibrated.

HOWEVER, it will only calibrate if the door has lost its calibration memory already. If you try doing it otherwise, it won't respond.

It is not desirable to close the door manually, but if it's the only way, then yes - you can cause it to latch by carefully pressing it closed. It may take a lot of effort to do it though. Don't deform the door when you do it.

Folks, ran into a nasty problem with our 90D. One of the falcon wing doors is stuck in a funny state. The door physically appears shut, but car claims that it is partially open. No control (manual switch on the door, touchscreen controls etc.) will open or close the door. Contacted the SC and they had us try a few things (mainly messing with the controls), but to no avail. SC claim they have taken a diagnostic from the car and are investigating :(

Anyone else having issues with their FW doors?
I have the exact same problem...display shows door is slightly open, but physically it's completely closed. Manual switch on bar doesn't do anything. Have been waiting for my SC appointment in a week.

I have the exact same problem...display shows door is slightly open, but physically it's completely closed. Manual switch on bar doesn't do anything. Have been waiting for my SC appointment in a week.
Have you tried clicking the latch in the door manually with you finger when the FWD is open? There was a post with a video of a kid who figured this out a couple of days ago.

Reactions: loganintx
My X just developed the non-responsove door problem on the passenger Falcon Wing Door after 700+ miles without any trouble. As others have noted, the center display shows the door slightly open, but it is clearly closed.

I called the local SC but don't yet have an apointment. In the meantime, does anyone know how to do a hard reset on a door controller or the 12V system? I imagine there is a fuse somewhere that might do this...

Attachments

• IMG_20160507_171012.jpg
    IMG_20160507_171012.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
My X just developed the non-responsove door problem on the passenger Falcon Wing Door after 700+ miles without any trouble. As others have noted, the center display shows the door slightly open, but it is clearly closed.

I called the local SC but don't yet have an apointment. In the meantime, does anyone know how to do a hard reset on a door controller or the 12V system? I imagine there is a fuse somewhere that might do this...
Try this, open the FWD, then put your finger in the door latch and release the latch, then try closing the door. There was a video in another thread of this exact problem.

My falcon wing door motors had ice in it and the motors were completely fried. Had to drive to the service center with the door half closed. The service center said they are going to replace the motors with the latest version which has better insulation.