Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon wing door won't latch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Single digit degrees out today and the right FWD wouldn't open so we did a manual override from the console and everything seemed ok. When we got to our destination the door wouldn't latch and would pop open a couple inches. Tried the reset technique that's stickies at the top of the forum and no luck so we drove back 3 miles with the car beeping at us and the door open slightly.

Anyone experience anything similar? Ideas? Haven't had issues before.

Not us, but someone in this cold weather issues forum stated similar I recall seeing. Maybe when you get it into a warmer garage for a while, or preheat it a while it'll latch up for you. Definitely some type of design flaw for very cold weather use.

EDIT: --- Scratch that, they were having issues with their passenger door ---

Still, in very cold, everything is contracted a bit so maybe a previous misalignment or latch that barely caught is now just missing instead. Good luck, maybe again warm it up and see..

I had trouble with the passenger front door doing that, two or 3 different occasions now. I had to do the reset procedure a couple times to get it working again. Major pain, not to mention embarrassment to arrive at the ski hill and then have everyone waiting while your fancy car can't latch the door!

Sensors seem clear and the car is clean. No ice anywhere near the latch.

Just closes and then pops back open a couple inches. We've tried the reset technique on here multiple times - as part of the reset technique, somehow the geotag open position was overridden and when I opened the other door in our garage it hit a pipe :(

Waiting for the service center this morning and haven't been able to get through.

Sensors seem clear and the car is clean. No ice anywhere near the latch.

Just closes and then pops back open a couple inches. We've tried the reset technique on here multiple times - as part of the reset technique, somehow the geotag open position was overridden and when I opened the other door in our garage it hit a pipe :(

Waiting for the service center this morning and haven't been able to get through.

I hope the other door isn't damaged. Try e-mailing them at [email protected]. Also you can call the service center and leave a message with all of your details if they don't answer.

This exact same issue started on our New (9 day old) Model X on Thursday evening. The door would close, latch, then just unlatch and is open 1-2 inches. I did some troubleshooting with tech support before getting it towed. The latching mechanism just does not stay latched. The towing transport was frustrating as it took 4 days to transport the Model X 200 miles. First it was driven in the opposite direction and stored in a tow lot for the weekend. It is in the service center as I type this. Hopefully the fix is easy as we really want it back for our holiday plans.

As a side laugh somebody at our local Enterprise Rental Car branch thinks a Chevy Trakker is a similar driving experience to Model X simply because it is 4-wheel drive...hahaha. I feel like I am driving a golf cart, it is the worst car I have ever driven aside from the PT Cruizer that one time.

• Funny
Reactions: DiamondHands
This exact same issue started on our New (9 day old) Model X on Thursday evening. The door would close, latch, then just unlatch and is open 1-2 inches. I did some troubleshooting with tech support before getting it towed. The latching mechanism just does not stay latched. The towing transport was frustrating as it took 4 days to transport the Model X 200 miles. First it was driven in the opposite direction and stored in a tow lot for the weekend. It is in the service center as I type this. Hopefully the fix is easy as we really want it back for our holiday plans.

As a side laugh somebody at our local Enterprise Rental Car branch thinks a Chevy Trakker is a similar driving experience to Model X simply because it is 4-wheel drive...hahaha. I feel like I am driving a golf cart, it is the worst car I have ever driven aside from the PT Cruizer that one time.

*Uplate: I got an email last night saying that the issue has been fixed, they replaced the latching mechanism. Now to wait for the transport of the car back to our house.

Quick update: sounds like there was a wiring change after our manufacture date and also our sensors went bad. Tesla service has been great and they're going to fix the other side.

Unfortunately, the falcon wing doors of my Model X have also serious issues in cold weather conditions similar to the ones reported here. Several times FWD were indicated as not being closed entirely in freezing weather conditions. In addition, in such cases passenger side's FWD could not be (re)opened. Even the emergency opening mechanism was not working.

Problems improve when getting the car into a heated garage.

@UnitaryExecutive: Could you please specify what has been done by the Service Center, as my SC (which is very helpful and friendly, but Model X experience is still limited in Europe) did not have a solution (other than getting the car into a heated garage) yet.