Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Wing Doors Hit Wall Charger While Closing.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just brought home a 2023 Model X. First time owner.

Wife pulled into our garage the first time after bringing it home and we open all the doors. They open fine though wife acts a little concerned about how close driver side FWD got to the wall. I'm on the other side so I ask her how close, she says a couple inches and I'm like oh that's fine, it's not a super tight fit so I didn't think it'd be a problem. Our wall charger happened to be near the forward part of that driver side FWD and when we closed them my wife let out a yelp. Apparently that driver side FWD hit the wall charger while closing. It appears it was a glancing blow, door continued to close and no damage thank god, but now I'm extremely nervous about these things.

Considering the amount of people that have wall chargers I figured we wouldn't be the first but after searching I've been unable to find any instances of this ever happening to anyone else.

Is this potentially a defective door? Should it have sensed that wall charger? Or is it possible for small things to escape detection? Now I'm worried about it clipping side mirrors of cars we park next to or god knows what else.

• Love
Reactions: ArchHamster
The sensors aren't continuous down the wall, and looking more for people, cars and walls, not necessarily something mounted to a wall. The sensor is also on the outside of the door, so as it closes it might not see anything protruding from a wall. I am sure you are not the first, but just keep this in mind in the future. For almost 5 years now I have not had any issues in my garages or parking garages, but I have seen many post of those who have. It helps educate all of us. Enjoy!

Les236 pretty much answered but I'll throw in my two cents. To my surprise, my fwd and auto doors have never hit another car or wall on opening which is really impressive. It uses sensors in the door and on the rooftop to judge how to open and close. Importantly, not the cameras yet and I'm not sure if there are plans for camera use via updates going forward. Model x is the lowest volume tesla, so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

While I do believe they are the smartest self opening and closing doors on the market right now, they are not 100 percent. No auto door solution from any manufacturer is. So keep in mind to watch for oncoming traffic or a car coming in to park next to you before opening the doors, and look for tree limbs. Lastly educate your frequent passengers on how to look for traffic and emergency stop the doors. Fwd passengers, in particular will need more care when taking them under your wing 😉

Outside of these small things, it's been smooth flying for me. I love the doors and think you will too!

The sensors aren't continuous down the wall, and looking more for people, cars and walls, not necessarily something mounted to a wall. The sensor is also on the outside of the door, so as it closes it might not see anything protruding from a wall. I am sure you are not the first, but just keep this in mind in the future. For almost 5 years now I have not had any issues in my garages or parking garages, but I have seen many post of those who have. It helps educate all of us. Enjoy!

Still, if the door cleared going up, it should clear coming down. It doesn't use the sensors for closing as it should be closing as tight as possible regardless. The sensors are only there to stop the door when opening if there's an obstruction. When closing, it assumes the vehicle hasn't moved and that someone hasn't put something under the door as it closes.