Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon-wing doors in snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No way a short-armed woman with children (and you know she'll have a baby in one arm arms and a toddler in her other hand) is going to be able to put plastic wrap on her car like that jerry33. And what if she has a mini-van!? :scared:
1) You put the plastic wrap on before the snow falls.

2) If a person can't put on the plastic wrap, how are they ever going to get the ice out of the windshield wiper "tray"?

3) It's obviously a separate task from the act of leaving.

- - - Updated - - -

Helps with what? I can imagine it must be really annoying to try to remove once it's frozen solid to the wind screen.
What's very hard to do is to get the ice out of the wiper tray. The plastic wrap pulls right off and breaks up the ice. Works great.

Well, as long as we're posting photos irrelevant to the thread this morning, here's one for all o' yez. Free drop-off; just tell me where to deliver:
IMG_0438.jpg

(And by the way, my garage is....somewhere...behind that background pile.)

I lived one winter* in Sapporo, and such sights were common then!

*don't ask me how many centuries ago that was. The tempus is really fugitting around here.

How does said mother deal with her SUV today? My wife is not a large person and had no problems clearing snow off our SUV with a baby in tow. Women are surprisingly capable, nearly equaling their male counterparts View attachment 102850
Does she not put the baby in the child seat before she starts removing the snow?

I really don't get why all people have such a hard time understanding the difference.

Women (or honestly everyone) with baby normal car:

Open door => put baby into child seat => start removing snow from car

With the model X:

Remove snow with child on arm => open door => put child in the car

I'm not saying women are incapable. But doing it in one order is clearly a lot easier. Not to mention if you have another toddler.

Why not just ==> remove snow using child ==> open door ==> put child in the car?

:biggrin:

i do question those who say just pre-heat the car and scrape. I had a remote starter in Newfoundland, and while preheating helps defrost the windows and heat the cabin, ..often you are still scraping for a long time, and your doors can still be really hard to open/frozen shut.

cd15d072-ab34-4ebf-9e3b-2a993516d81d_500.jpg

Does she not put the baby in the child seat before she starts removing the snow?

I really don't get why all people have such a hard time understanding the difference.

Women (or honestly everyone) with baby normal car:

Open door => put baby into child seat => start removing snow from car

With the model X:

Remove snow with child on arm => open door => put child in the car

I'm not saying women are incapable. But doing it in one order is clearly a lot easier. Not to mention if you have another toddler.

I know some pretty capable women, but it would be hard to get a child into the child seat if the falcon wing doors are frozen shut. Hopefully the motors have some kind of safety that shuts off the door opening mechanism if it isn't making progress so the motors don't burn out. I would expect Tesla to think of that. Even without snow you could have someone leaning on a door when you try to open it.

In any case, the only time I can see a real problem would be when the doors are frozen shut and it might be more of a problem with the Model X than with a regular car. The gaps at the top of the door are horizontal so water could pool up there (even a little) when there is a thaw and then it freezes. With a normal door, the gaps are all vertical so there is less opportunity for water to pool before freezing.

In general, people are resourceful and usually come up with ways to cope with most common scenarios. Even if a given individual doesn't hit on a good solution, usually someone else figures it out and it catches on.

A ladie with a child under here arm is not a common sight in norway when arriving a car that have not been diven for a while.
They use trollies or child seats to carey the smal ones.
And the child is sitting in their trolley or seat when the ladie brushes the snow of the roof.
To make a problem is no problem.
If falcon doors is a large problem, lots of other cars, like Model S. ;-)