TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Falcon Wing Doors Opening By Themselves

Discussion in 'Model X' started by MXZoomZoom, Jan 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MXZoomZoom

MXZoomZoom Member

Arrived at work yesterday and started charging my car. Didn't have the key fobs on me - locked the car with the app and watched the mirrors fold in.

Two hours later I get back to the car (with my fob - retrieved several buildings away) to put something in frunk and the driver side FWD is open by an inch. WTF!!!

I try to open the frunk with FOB and it wasn't responding at all. Managed to open driver door by pushing on it, then popped the frunk open. Closed it up, opened the FWD on screen and then pressed the physical button on the door to close it.

It was drizzling outside so I don't know if someone saw and tried to manually close it when it opened up, or if it just partially opened a bit.

I'm seriously disturbed with this behavior...

• Informative x 1
  2. Sambas

Sambas Member

You are not alone. It happened to me twice. The first time (software:17.50.2) the passenger side FWD opened by itself when I was entering the car, the key was in my pocket and I thought maybe,maybe the button got pressed twice as I’m entering. The second time (software:17.50.3) I’m in the drive seat and my wife is in the passenger seat and the passenger door opened by itself. The key was in the cup holder. My wife thought someone is braking into our car!
    Both instances the car was in P.

3. Solarman004

Solarman004 Member

For these reasons, I have now started turning off Passive Entry when I'm away from home. I haven't had a mysterious door opening, or uncommanded unlock since doing this.
    My backup, especially at campgrounds, is to keep the FOB in an Altoids tin.
    I believe all of my cases of uncommanded FWD openings in the past were due to unintentional FOB button pressing while in my pocket. The OP's case above is a little more concerning. It sounds like the FOB was nowhere near the car when the door opened.

4. Sambas

Sambas Member

I’m not sure it is this simple. The first incident happened with the passive entry off and the second one with it on. I think it has something to do with the software or the cold weather ;)

5. Solarman004

Solarman004 Member

That's what I was afraid of. Please report back with what your SC finds.

6. Sambas

Sambas Member

Well it happened again. I’m with my wife at Home Depot, spent half an hour there and came out to see my FWD fully open. WTF!...... I’m not sure how long it was open for but thank god the snow has stopped. It was quite a scene for all the falks in the parking lot... It is a major security flaw regardless if it opened by itself “software glitch” or accidentally opened by the keyfob in my pocket. Where else I’m supposed to put the keyfob? They should stop blaming us for being careless with the key and come up with a fix.

7. CarbonFree

CarbonFree Member

I've experienced the same, but only once.

8. AxeBro

AxeBro Member

Have you reported this to the SC? Can you let us know what they say?

9. MXZoomZoom

MXZoomZoom Member

Sambas that's crazy!

For me - it hasn't happened again. They tried calling me a few weeks ago but I was in a meeting.

10. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

This happened when my X was new (2 years ago). It happened more than once overnight in the garage. However, it’s hasnt happened again in at least a year.

11. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

Is it cold where you are?

I have had this happen twice this winter in the following circumstance:

I attempted to enter/exit the car through the left rear falcon wing, but it wouldn't budge. (In one of these instances I even popped the speaker and pulled the cord, it moved a little but not enough, the problem wasn't unlocking it - the problem was it was blocked.) It simply remained shut.

In the first instance it opened to slightly ajar when I removed ice from inside the rear left wheelarch. That had been blocking the opening and made basically the door "limp", not opening, not properly closing either. I could not even lock the car in that case.

The second time this happened I couldn't get the car to open the door again, so I left it and when I came back it had opened by itself (slightly ajar). Whatever was blocking it had once again loosened while I was away.

It was freezing in these instances.

Perhaps not related at all to this, but thought I'd share.

12. AnxietyRanger

On that note:

I would prefer an option to kill all remote control of all doors, except locks. I find the fob downright dangerous, even though I've disabled everything I can.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  13. AnxietyRanger

That brings my to my point, though:

Is it possible guys you had the fob in your pocket accidentally clicked while in the vincinity of the car? Wasn't there a car that got crashed into because its door opened into traffic due to the fob getting pressed in a pocket?

Come to think of it, my falcon wings often start opening accidentally when I'm packing etc. the car, because the fob gets pressed in the pocket.

Could that be it for you too?

14. mattack4000

mattack4000 Member

happened to me twice too. the weird thing is that the door opened slightly both times, but not enough to get any adult in, still not cool to see the door open like that. I am not sure how the fob knows to open the door by 8" only

Calling Tesla tomorrow to see if they can pull the logs

• Like x 1
  15. Sambas

Sambas Member

Tesla called me the next day I reported the incidence on this forum, apparently they are monitoring what is written here which is great:). I have been told they are going to run some remote diagnostics and get back to me. I'll keep you updated to what they will find.

• Like x 1
  16. Sambas

Sambas Member

I'm located in Michigan and yes it is very cold. I haven't experience this problem when it was warm here.
    In regards to the FWD, I haven't used neither one of them in more than a week or two since it is only me and my wife now.

• Helpful x 1
  17. Sambas

Sambas Member

Agree. Or have the option to get a notification when a door is opened remotely and be able to close all doors from the app.

• Helpful x 1
  18. Sambas

Sambas Member

It is a possibility for sure. The first time it happened I was getting in the car when the FWD open so yes it could have been pressed between my body and the seat, and could have happened when I was shopping too although I don't have a recollection of bumping into anything. Though I can't explain it the time when the keys were in the cup holder and the passenger door opened!

• Helpful x 1
  19. AnxietyRanger

Thanks @Sambas. Many possibilities and some question marks then... Do get back to us if you ever figure it out. :)

20. mattack4000

mattack4000 Member

This doesn’t explain why the door only open about 8”

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1