Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Wing Doors Opening By Themselves

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This doesn’t explain why the door only open about 8”

Oh but it most certainly does.

Click your fob a few times to open the door - and the click it again, and it will stop where it was at that stage. 8" would be very feasible in a scenario where the fob gets pressed in your pocket a random number of times to first initiate the opening and then a moment later to stop it... and then if you move away from range quickly enough (or it doesn't get the requisite number of clicks in time), it won't initiate a close.

Getting stuck by ice and then freeing up - or being blocked by ice when opening - might explain it too, but those seem less likely at 8".

The pockets of tight pants or pockets with several keys in them, combined with the rhythm of a person walking, could well push the requisite sequence of taps on the side of they key, then a delay while the door opens, and then another tap to stop it... and fail to initiate the sequence needed to close the door again or move out of range while the person keeps walking away.

Same could happen again if the person walks near the car (say, inside a building, near a window) and does the same.

I just did the test, I think you are right it could happen if I hit the button 3 times in succession

Thanks @mattack4000.

Yeah, for me it works like this:

1) Car locked, all fob/security related settings at their most conservative (everything, including passive entry disabled)
2) Click side of fob twice
3) Sometimes: Car unlocks, but falcon wing does not open
4) Click side of fob twice again
5) Falcon wing now starts to open for sure by now
6) Click side of fob once (same side)
7) Falcon wing stops opening and remains open where it stopped
8) Click side of fob twice again (same side)
9) Falcon wing closes

So, with a locked car, it would seem that sometimes 3-4 presses are needed to open the door, at other times 2 seems to do the trick for me. If that is then followed by another press, the door stops whereever it was. Finally a double press after that does close the door, but this might not happen in an accidental opening...

I just went out to the door, hit theee times basically in succession and the door stopped where I saw it yesterday

I think we're onto this one, then.

(I wonder if passive entry being disabled is what sometimes requires 3-4 clicks for me to get them opening in the first place. The car has become pretty erratic this way since disabling that.)

Anyway, Tesla, an option to disable all door opening via fob. Please? @bonnie please use your magic. :)

Last edited:
I have passive entry on, I will try that for you later

Thanks.

FWIW, I just tried the double click again just now (the car had been locked for an hour or so), with passive entry still off, and now it unlocked and opened on the first double click of the side of the fob.

The passive entry disabling has made the lock/unlock seem a little more erratic as said, I haven't quite understood why it sometimes works the way it does... For example the folding mirrors don't always work with it (they might now in the latest versions but I have disabled the folding for winter because of the Tesla design being prone to freezing).

If I just triple click quickly, the door opens only very little - in fact so little that another double click after that opens it a bit more before closing it. For the door to open 8", I would have to have a significant pause between the double click and the third click.

Abstract Ocean or some other 3rd party Tesla accessory store sells a key fob protector. It not only prevents scratches, but, should eliminate "pocket dial" key fob activations.

I learned about this the hard way while showing an older gentleman my FWD. I sat down in the back seat in jeans and didn't realize he'd walked right under the FWD. It struck him in the head, though barely as the sensors seemed to have realized he was moving into their closure path at the last second. I've become much more cautious about opening and closing the FWDs after that. People do not understand that a door that size has to have a lot of room to operate.

I’ve been driving with no key cover for a while now with no issues. But if I’m in the driver seat and have the key in my pocket and tried to reach to the backseat to grab something or tried to get the last piece of mail through the window without leaving the car I could potentially cause the FWD to open. BTW I tried it and was successful.

So these are my suggestions to Tesla and please feel free to add to them:
1. Once Model X detects the key inside the vehicle it should ignore all the signals coming from the its buttons.
2. Add an option to the App to receive a notification when and if the doors are opened remotely.
3. Add an option to close all doors remotely from the App.

Reactions: WINGIT and cartech
On 2/28/18 three times in a row when I opened the driver's side front door the passenger side falcon wing door opened very slowly at about 1/3 normal speed. Once open it took a long time for it to register full open so had to wait a long time to be able to close it. Also one of the times I was able to stand by the door and the red light/button on the bottom rear of door, the close switch, was not lite until the door registered full open. Later in the day I did a steering wheel reboot and this has not recurred.

It was raining out that day at about 40 deg f and it was a pain in the A**.

This happened to me too...
Tesla should just get rid of alot of the functions on their cars that aren't fully tested/perfected.
Make the smart car -> dumber...
It would save us alot of time going back and from the service center for non existent service.

This happened to me today, again.

Previously it happened two times but I thought I caused it since fob was in my pocket in both cases. However, today the fob was staying in the key dish (during the quarantine, we haven't used the car for a long time) left untouched by anyone. So, we are sure it was 100% by itself.

Since some people mentioned about the weather; on the contrary of cold weather other people mentioned, it was 117F when I noticed it, inside the car (what Tesla mobile app reports).

I have one Falcon wing door that won't open, and last weekend the other one opened by itself in my garage - two times in 30 mins. It opened as far as the sensor will allow in the garage. The FOB was in the house on my desk. It was 74 degrees so cold weather isn't a factor. At the same time, I'm having problems with the windows that won't close all the way. They go halfway up and then back down. A few months ago, I was shopping and came out to find my driver's door was standing wide open in a busy parking lot.