Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon wing doors red button nonfunctional software 2021.44.30.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am on 2021.44.30.5, it is 1 deg F outside and 20 inside my garage. The red button still works. I did notice the red button was backlit. Do you see a light? I did this test assuming I would get 2021.44.30.8 soon and will try it again after that and let you know.

Darmie, that the first time I've heard anybody mention changing wheel size when you want to reboot your car. Who exactly told you that?
May not be documented anywhere. Thanks to TMC this is a known way to power off the system. I recall an issue with the sound system not responding and this was the fix. When you change the wheel/tire setting, you can hear how much quieter the reboot is. You also lose power to the USB. I also believe this powers down sub systems intergraded on the buss to the MCU, not just the computer. One of those tools to keep in your arsenal of Tesla ownership.

Reactions: Rice&Curry
Darmie, what model Tesla did you do that on? I've had Tesla since June 2014, only Model S's and my current one is a June built 2016 P90D When you use the power off option I don't hear anything at all. Completely quite. The wheel size change came along in probably 2018 or 2019 in a software update.

I noticed both of my falcon-wing doors will not close when pushing the round red button on the door. They work fine when using the switch inside the car on the doorpost. At first, I thought maybe the cold 0 deg F weather was the problem but tried both doors inside the garage, and neither worked with the red button.
It has warmed up a bit and the red buttons are working again! Must have been a frozen switch.

Reactions: Darmie
Sorry, cross posting again

I am developing a hobby of resuscitating dead or misbehaving Teslas in my small sphere of influence and there seems to be three levels of severity of reboots. However I am not an engineer, just a user and and an enthusiast. The first level is the double scroll wheel reboot that seems to reboot the MCU and fixes small issues.

A more severe reboot is located under safety and security and forces the car to "turn off." This seems to have fixed persistent misbehavior that the scroll wheel reboot does not. I think this reboots the whole car. I just fixed a MS that would not drive for its owner today. (I hope this fixes the problem, gulp!)

The most deep reboot that seems to clear caches and misbehavior I learned from this forum is to reset the wheel size of the car. I have done this on my MX once or twice and after resetting from 20" to 22" wheels, forces the whole car to reboot and clear memory caches... and then I set the wheel size back to to correct size. That has fixed a few problems I have had.

I wonder what that does? What do you guys think?
From the page 9 of model X reset techniques, a sticky thread in this forum. It would be good to read through the entire thread.

I looked in my settings on my 2016 model S and found the wheel size change. My options are 19 or 21 inch, I have 20's on mine but had the settings at 21's. I tried your method (changed to 19's) and it did do some sort of reboot. Not sure if it was longer than a normal reboot but it did take a while. I then changed the wheel size back to 21's. I guess we do learn new things everyday, not sure if it's better or not but it did reboot the car.