Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon wing scratching and scuffing other parts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When the door doesn't shut, what happens when you press the open/close door button again? Does it move at all?

I have an issue with one of the FWDs where sometimes it doesn't close (as if it detects some interference, but there are none). Just need to press the button again and it will close shut.

Sorry, I didnt mean to infer you said that. I meant that I dont really ask for much. Just a working car and that service goes above and beyond to correct the issue. However, in my case it doesnt feel that way....including when my advisor said that the chipped door could only have come about if my front door was open and the falcon wing was opening / closing.
And the car should not do this so I am not sure what the advisor's point was. Yes they put out a bulletin about possible pinched hands/fingers between the closing doors, but that is a far cry from expecting a person to watch out for two doors they made hitting each other.

When the door doesn't shut, what happens when you press the open/close door button again? Does it move at all?

I have an issue with one of the FWDs where sometimes it doesn't close (as if it detects some interference, but there are none). Just need to press the button again and it will close shut.

Nothing worked in my case whether it is with the remote, screen, or button on the pillar. It would just beep.

I seem to recall a manual release under the speaker grill on the FWD. I'm wondering, if this can be used to release the mechanics and manually shut the door if something like this happens to me?? Anyone tried the manual release?

Update...they only recallibrated the system (which is what they did the first time) which is a big disappointment for me. There is no consideration that this is the 2nd time that has happened and what I had to endure through the process. Im speaking with the manager to get parts replaced. This is absolutely unacceptable.

• Informative
Reactions: M0DEL³ and ohmman
I was at the Dublin SC yesterday. I just picked up my X almost 2 weeks ago. The past few days, my driver side FWD would stop closing about 3/4 of the way down and beep, saying there's an obstruction/obstacle detected. To my surprise, it actually did it at the SC. Doesn't happen all the time, which makes it pretty annoying.

Not sure where this is going to go, hopefully a recalibration or some other pixie dust solution. They will look into it more when I drop off the car. (getting a side window replaced that had a scratch on it when it was delivered).

Waiting to see how yours turns out!

@superfly320 I have the exact same problem, and it only happens on the passenger side FWD. Have an appointment at Dublin SC in a few weeks. Have they identified the issues? Hopefully with so many cases they have the solutions by now?

I can easily reproduce the issue, usually when the door doesn't open all the way (because of nearby objects), then it has a high chance of not closing successfully.

@NoVIN4Me - I haven't taken it in yet. Once they get my replacement FWD window part in, they are going to check it out, along with a few other misc issues.

In the meantime, I'll keep playing with it to see if I can see some sort of trend. This was my first interaction with the Dublin SC (and Tesla in general), so hopefully will not be disappointed.

Based on my non-scientific observations, it seems most of my failures happen when the "path of the closure" is too close to the side plane of the car. Instead of swinging down in a circular path, my door seems to close the last few inches like a van sliding door (top-down instead).

Will observe some more tomorrow but wonder if the path of the door has anything to do with it, and whether this can be fixed with some software reset?

Good news is I have one perfect door so I know it's something fixable.

Reactions: hiroshiy and ModelX
Update...they only recallibrated the system (which is what they did the first time) which is a big disappointment for me. There is no consideration that this is the 2nd time that has happened and what I had to endure through the process. Im speaking with the manager to get parts replaced. This is absolutely unacceptable.
@lloyds , Any update? Is the current recalibration still working for you?

@lloyds , Any update? Is the current recalibration still working for you?

All they did was a recalibration. I then told my advisor that this is the 2nd time and both times occurred on a hit day with the sun shining on that door. I also showed them the photo of the dash warning. They will look at the logs again and take a more in depth look after the car is back from the bodyshop (the 2 doors scraped each other when the fw door came down). I cannot have this happen again....it would put me way over the top if this is a faulty sensor and they did nothing to do it other than another recalibration.

@lloyds what vin are you? Sorry to hear about your experience?

Regarding FWD hitting the front door, my car does that as well. Did Tesla ever communicated officially that it should not?

Will be getting the car back mext week. No, tesla didnt indicate to me during delivery that the doors need to close in sequence. However, this is what service is telling me now that I must close the front doors first before I open or close the FW