Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon wing scratching and scuffing other parts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 3rd trip for same door and over 1 month in the service...

Wow... Just wow... I really want an X but will not order one until I stop seeing these threads keep coming back like zombies... You have far more patience than I ever could at this juncture... I'd demand that all hardware be replaced, sensors, arms, motors, etc...

I know you said earlier you aren't interested in going there but maybe it's time for the lemon law...

Tesla, if you're reading my post\this thread, you must address this permanently or you're going to have serious issues selling this car at some point. Everyone expected teething issues but at this point, IMHO, it's gone way to far.

Jeff

4 attempts at a fix and 4+ weeks in the shop is time to start the lemon law paperwork. You paid for a working MX, Tesla owes you a working MX.

Not there yet, but every single time this comes up....I wonder if I am being unreasonable for asking them to stop wasting my time and just get all of the corresponding parts to be replaced. I have read other owners experiencing this without even asking for it. Perhaps just bad luck with me, but I will give them 1 more chance to get this right.

So sorry to see all of this. We have a deposit down and are having second, third, fourth thoughts all because of the doors. Perhaps on this issue all other car makers have got the approach correct with manual doors that work. Every car I have had to deal with that has 'different' doors has always had some sort of issue overtime.

Not there yet, but every single time this comes up....I wonder if I am being unreasonable for asking them to stop wasting my time and just get all of the corresponding parts to be replaced. I have read other owners experiencing this without even asking for it. Perhaps just bad luck with me, but I will give them 1 more chance to get this right.

I would definately involve the regional manager and see if he wants you to keep using the same service center or switch to a different one. I'd also let the regional manager know the extreme inconvenience of being on the side of the road in heat with kids and having a service manager dismiss your issues as invalid.

I'd document every bit of this in as few paragraphs/pages as possible so that as it gets escalated you don't have to spend as much time explaining to the next in line and so that you have your documentation ready should it come to lemon law action.

TLDR; don't play the lemon law card yet, but be darn ready in case you have to and start escalation to regional/corporate management.

Mine has exactly the same issues since day one. SC stated that this is a software issue and unable to fix at this time until software gets updated..... All we can do now is hope and pray!

Yikes. Thank you so much for sharing the details of your ordeal. So sorry, and hope they get you back on track, once and for all, soon. Wow. I'd have definitely lost of patience multiple times over. I'm sure this was/ is not easy for you.

I was thinking hard about ordering the Tesla Model X but am SERIOUSLY considering not ordering one because of these types of reports. Maybe will go for a Model S... but I was looking forward to the additional seating and the better rear passenger seat comfort (with cup holders etc) and some extra seating (was thinking about the 6 seat option). Oh well...

Maybe I'll just put off buying a Tesla for now... esp with the news that Autopilot 2.0 may be coming...

:(

:mad:

TLDR; don't play the lemon law card yet, but be darn ready in case you have to and start escalation to regional/corporate management.

Is this issue with the FWD (or other issues with the FWD) a "one off" or are there more of these issues? I ask because I was seriously considering getting a Tesla Model X until I read through the series of issues outlined by @lloyds in this thread (and the not so great initial response from Tesla to address @lloyds' issues!)... and as a result of that... am super hesitant to order a Model X.

Thoughts???

Is this issue with the FWD (or other issues with the FWD) a "one off" or are there more of these issues? I ask because I was seriously considering getting a Tesla Model X until I read through the series of issues outlined by @lloyds in this thread (and the not so great initial response from Tesla to address @lloyds' issues!)... and as a result of that... am super hesitant to order a Model X.

Thoughts???
I haven't heard (going on memory) of a lot of people complaining about this particular issue (verify it by reading whole thread). Therefore, I suspect that it is a rare issue with early model builds and practically zero issues recently. I'm not saying that after a few years of wear and tear, such a problem won't develop, but as of right now, it's not an issue IMHO.

Reactions: singleview
It's those towels on the seats I am sure. :)

Good luck. It's probably a bad sensor or a loose wire. Surprised they have not found it yet.

We've had a bunch of problems with our FW doors too; especially the driver's side. They've replaced sensors and tied down some wiring inside and re-aligned just about every body panel. The latest firmware has helped, but now I want to take the towels off the seat and try, as crazy as it sounds. We have them in for doggo protection, and at this point I wouldn't be shocked if it's part of the problem. I'll give it a try when it gets back from the current SC visit.

• Informative
Yikes Lloyd! You're really really really patient. I understand you're not the "lemon law" type of guy. Neither am I but honestly, this is what the law was intended for. Not for people to abuse the system or try to game it but honestly you're being more than patient.

You're not asking much. You just want the car that you paid for. Forget about the car. For me, it would be frustrating just wasting my time dealing with these issues as well. You sound like a good and honorable guy and I remember reading your posts since 2013. (I bought a P85 back in mid 2013 as well).

Have you tried contacting Elon personally? If not you should. I emailed him personally a few days after I got my P85 back in 2013. My kids were riding in the rear jump seats when one day they went flying forward as one of them brushed against the release. Back when they first come out it was really dangerous! It was easy to unlatch.

I emailed Elon and literally within a few days, he had an engineer make a prototype fix that they had me bring my car in (San Diego service center). The manager told me that mine was the first to get it installed. Not sure if that is true or not but I do know that top management reads emails.

It sounds like you're not getting anywhere with SC. I'd escalate this and contact Elon if you didn't already. Good luck.

Forget about the car. For me, it would be frustrating just wasting my time dealing with these issues as well
Agreed. The other part of this is that we are paying insurance and registration and encountering depreciation for every day these cars are in the shop. If you do the math, it'll stress you out, so I don't recommend it.

My X is waiting on parts in the parking lot of the Service Center. Today is day 10. Cha-ching, cha-ching...

Agreed. The other part of this is that we are paying insurance and registration and encountering depreciation for every day these cars are in the shop. If you do the math, it'll stress you out, so I don't recommend it.

My X is waiting on parts in the parking lot of the Service Center. Today is day 10. Cha-ching, cha-ching...

Oh yeah, exactly. Don't get me wrong. I love Tesla. Incredible car and the feeling that you get driving it is unique. But it can be frustrating having to wait and lost time dealing with all of it. It's funny because it's probably the ONLY car company where you pay $125,000+ for a car and can have problems from the start and you almost feel thankful that they are either giving you an inferior loaner car or can get you in within a few days/weeks. LOL. ANY other manufacturer and you'd be reading them the riot act or demanding a refund.

I do believe in cutting them some slack. When I picked up my Model S back in 2013 wow was I surprised as there were several issues. They had to repaint the entire hood along with some other things. In a little over 3 years of owning it, I had to take it in 13 times. (I just had to look up all my paperwork and service orders). And most times I waited until I built up a list of 3/4/5 things to fix. So each time there were multiple things to fix.

Some were simple and noise, buzzing but some others were more serious like the time they had to replace the entire drivetrain. But still, in the end the Tesla was the best car I've ever owned.

• Informative
Yikes Lloyd! You're really really really patient. I understand you're not the "lemon law" type of guy. Neither am I but honestly, this is what the law was intended for. Not for people to abuse the system or try to game it but honestly you're being more than patient.

You're not asking much. You just want the car that you paid for. Forget about the car. For me, it would be frustrating just wasting my time dealing with these issues as well. You sound like a good and honorable guy and I remember reading your posts since 2013. (I bought a P85 back in mid 2013 as well).

Have you tried contacting Elon personally? If not you should. I emailed him personally a few days after I got my P85 back in 2013. My kids were riding in the rear jump seats when one day they went flying forward as one of them brushed against the release. Back when they first come out it was really dangerous! It was easy to unlatch.

I emailed Elon and literally within a few days, he had an engineer make a prototype fix that they had me bring my car in (San Diego service center). The manager told me that mine was the first to get it installed. Not sure if that is true or not but I do know that top management reads emails.

It sounds like you're not getting anywhere with SC. I'd escalate this and contact Elon if you didn't already. Good luck.

I never even considered it. I know that Elon was active early on, but didnt think to contact him. I would like to give thelis 1 more chance before I escalate this to higher ups.

I was also abit annoyed that they didnt replace the inner trim pieces that were damaged from the door ruubing against them. On top of that I have gouges on my window that were not there before. I will post pictures tomorrow.