Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon wing window seals

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had this problem? 2018 model X upper window seal folds inwards. The service center replaced both one time and now they have to do it again. Is this a defect since other model x seems to have the same problem on the lot?

Attachments

• IMG_20190304_185200.jpg
    IMG_20190304_185200.jpg
    431 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_20190304_185130.jpg
    IMG_20190304_185130.jpg
    511.3 KB · Views: 407
Yep! I have this issue on my passenger FWD. The fold measures just a few cm's. Hasn't leaked.... yet.

For the moment, I just live with it and use an old eye-glass cleaning cloth to pull the seal up (I lay the cloth over the edge of the roof span, close the FWD then pull the cloth out of the joint which pulls the seal out). :eek:

I know! I know! :D

Thanks for your suggestion. The service advisor said that my car along with those made at the sametime had a bad batch of windows. When they get new ones, they will replace them.

Had a mobile service tech come out for other reasons. Said my folded seals are not good and repair is replacing the two FWD windows along with alignment to the doors. Mobile can’t fix because of the alignment.

I have a 2016 Model X and the roof glass seals look horrible. They are all chewed up and nasty.
I bought the car from Tesla around April of this year. It had 10,000 miles on it.

When I inspected it at delivery I noticed these chewed up seals and objected to them. They quickly told me this was not covered by my warranty because it was "visual" and not "functional". They do not cause a water leak. The Service Manager even told me I should take and exacto knife and trim the rough edges down and it would make them look better and not affect water leaks.

But apparently others are getting the entire glass panels replaced?

here are a few pictures.
IMG_4452.JPG
IMG_4454.JPG

That looks terrible! I'm surprised they won't warranty those cracked 'seals' (even tho they say they're not for water intrusion).

I have yet to do this to mine... but I'm getting some Krytox GPL105 to apply to all exposed rubber/vinyl surfaces. I used this product on previous cars (mostly convertible-top seals, which are certainly for water intrusion) that had hardening/shrinking seals, and this stuff was a total miracle for me! It brought those seals back to life.

It would appear that your cracks/hardening/shrinkage issues may be beyond even Krytox's magical powers... but it certainly couldn't hurt! :)

For those interested in using Krytox: Major caveat! This stuff goes a LONG way! One drop will probably cover about 5-6" of seal. So use very sparingly until you get the feel of how it applies. Also... be extra diligent to keep this product off of your glass! It's dang near impossible to clean it off! It won't 'hurt' the glass... but will give it an oily smear until it's cleaned off.

Oh, and it's pretty expensive. 1oz is about $35 or so on Amazon. But our cars are well worth it! I would also recommend the 'needle bottle'... it helps keep this stuff under control when applying it.

• Helpful
Reactions: gprabu
Mine have been like that since a month after I got it (dec last year). ;( Unfortunately, Tesla Denmark claims there’s nothing they can do. I’m continually surprised by these kinds of problems, unfortunately. Love the car, but build quality is in many ways poor.