Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Wings open from key fob signal while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is an awful story. They should not release a car if they are unable to repair it in a timely fashion.
A couple of questions:
1) Is TM assuming responsibility for the damage?
2) Are they providing you with a loaner vehicle?

I went 6 weeks without a loaner and finally got one last week (an older stock S). Tesla has not yet confirmed that they will pick up the $18k cost for the repair but the local service manager is sympathetic and trying to get approval from corporate. But after 7 weeks and no confirmation I am beginning to lose hope on that too.

That is an awful story. They should not release a car if they are unable to repair it in a timely fashion.
A couple of questions:

I went 6 weeks without a loaner and just got one last week (an older stock S). Tesla has not yet confirmed that they will pick up the $18k cost for the repair but the local service manager is sympathetic and trying to get approval. But its been 7 weeks and no confirmation so I am beginning to lose hope on that too.

A couple of questions:
1. Why should Tesla assume responsibility for the damage? The car did not do something it shouldn't, the car warned the driver that something was amiss and the driver ignored that warning.

1. Why should Tesla assume responsibility for the damage? The car did not do something it shouldn't, the car warned the driver that something was amiss and the driver ignored that warning.
I did not read the entire thread. For some reason, I thought it was a new thread that I just picked up. If there was a clear warning, that is a different matter. At the same time, this seems like a risky think to allow a door to open while moving.

I did not read the entire thread. For some reason, I thought it was a new thread that I just picked up. If there was a clear warning, that is a different matter. At the same time, this seems like a risky think to allow a door to open while moving.

Door didn't open while moving, door opened before as a result of incidental pocket contact while driver got in car.

• Disagree
Reactions: Eclectic
While I was in traffic, a young person accidentally opened the FWD using the manual button because he thought it was the window button (first time in the car). Honestly, it shouldn't be possible for that to happen while it's moving no? Nothing happened, but I would like a way to disable it (like a child lock).

Anybody know if the child lock does the trick?

While I was in traffic, a young person accidentally opened the FWD using the manual button because he thought it was the window button (first time in the car). Honestly, it shouldn't be possible for that to happen while it's moving no? Nothing happened, but I would like a way to disable it (like a child lock).

Anybody know if the child lock does the trick?

Yes, Child Lock option disables FWD to be opened from the switch located on the door pillar.

I went 6 weeks without a loaner and finally got one last week (an older stock S). Tesla has not yet confirmed that they will pick up the $18k cost for the repair but the local service manager is sympathetic and trying to get approval from corporate. But after 7 weeks and no confirmation I am beginning to lose hope on that too.

6 weeks? And no loaner or rental? Something is seriously wrong here.

@OP - Did the warning bells chime to alert you to an open door while the car was in gear? Mine always does, but I have an S.

So... you're telling me you don't have to be in park to open/close the rear doors?!
I can't even imagine what Tesla was thinking allowing the car to be put into D when the FWDs are open, and allowing the FWDs to open when one is already in D at low speeds. Tesla should have known this was a disaster waiting to happen, and that is why Tesla should cover the repair cost. This isn't like someone opening a normal door manually, where they can quickly close the door when they sense the car moving (because the driver didn't know the passenger had opened the rear door). These doors are mechanical and stick up over the height of the car, and do not close quickly. Nor is the "chime" easily distinguishable from every other ding, bing, and dong the car makes, and it isn't very loud either inside the cabin.

I also can't believe that after seeing this thread, Tesla hasn't released a firmware update to solve the problem! Tell me when it would be a useful "feature" to have the car drive with the FWDs open! This will happen to more people, and it will create more negative press.

Reactions: SoccerMan94043